Has organized religion held human advancement back?

Options

Comments

• JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Intriguing thread. The answer is yes. It's not debatable. In some instances economics has held back human advancement as well.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    YES & NO
    JokerzWyld wrote: »
    Intriguing thread. The answer is yes. It's not debatable. In some instances economics has held back human advancement as well.

It's not debatable ???? Why because you said so??? Foh.
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ok oh wise and knowledge person explain how. ? been trying to for the whole thread and been getting shut the ? down. Throwing out generalization and hypothetical situations
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    YES & NO
    It has been detrimental to the whole world which I only include myself and this Catholic priest trying to attack my butt, but I swiftly defeated him and wasted 20 seconds of my life. lol
  • JokerzWyld
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epLhaGGjfRw

Neil deGrasse Tyson broke down religion's effect on the stifling of science and thought. In fact, he routinely discusses this issue from the the perspective that our faith stymies our curiosity, sometimes for centuries.
  • The_Jackal
    Options

Neil deGrasse Tyson broke down religion's effect on the stifling of science and thought. In fact, he routinely discusses this issue from the the perspective that our faith stymies our curiosity, sometimes for centuries.

Only watched the first 10 mintues. Even from then it doesn't support your view point at all. He is critical on intelligent design being taught, speaks on Galileo (who was still able to freely publish his thoughts under house arrest) and completly praises Newton ( who we already been through in this thread as being one of the biggest christians out there.) Now how exactly in history has religion had any major effect that it could be said that it held back human advancement particular in the area of science?
  • zzombie
    edited January 2016
    Options
    YES & NO

My friend that VIDEO does not prove anything that video is about intelligent design not the effects religion has had on holding back human advancement.
  • JokerzWyld
    Options
    Neither of you watched the video.

• The_Jackal
    edited January 2016
    Options

I just stated I only watched the first ten mintues. If there is a certain part where he specifically states it then by all means point it out. Because he definitely did not during the first 10
  • zzombie
    Options
    YES & NO

? it's 40 minutes do we really need to watch that who ? just to get to the heart of what he said
  • JokerzWyld
    Options
    You can read a 1000+ bible but can't watch a forty minute video about a cursory history of religions effects on science?

Irrelevant. I question the motives of both your posts; I know that those who have already professed to be religious would indubitably have a bias on this subject.

I've contributed to this thread enough. Don't quote me anymore.
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    You can read a 1000+ bible but can't watch a forty minute video about a cursory history of religions effects on science?

Irrelevant. I question the motives of both your posts; I know that those who have already professed to be religious would indubitably have a bias on this subject.

Cool take the high road and look down on us dumb religious folk. You contributed nothing at all to the thread regardless. If you had something to say the say it. Before religion I ultimately consider myself a student of history and philosophy and dare say I have more knowledgeable in both of those subjects then you.
  • zzombie
    Options
    YES & NO

? it's 10:30 in nyc i am not watching 40 min of that video ? that sum that ? up.
  • The_Jackal
    Options
    The ultimately irony of the post is that everyone who supports your viewpoint and will cosign it won't even watch the video at all where I actually watched part of it and could tell it wasn't going any where.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    YES & NO
    @pico needs her own religion LAAAAWDDD HAM MURCY ON MY SOUL LIGHT SKIN GODDESSS MMMMMMMMMM
  • PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    YES

They can ignore 100's of years of destruction of knowledge, misinformation, subjugation, hoarding and burying of knowledge, spreading of ignorance, striking fear and doubt in people, conditioning, limiting of personal growth, etc etc in the name of organized religion. But will pull their pants down, bend over, and take a ? in the ass with a smile on their faces when it comes to religion(super pause!!)

Like I said before, they are doing nothing more than proving my point about the effects of organized religion an human beings. This ? is nothing more than a tool that the wrong people have their claws on. You see the amish people? One of many perfect examples of what I'm speaking on. There's religions that say it's wrong to use condoms, eve(women) was created from a mans ? rib bone, banning telescopes, woman can't do this and that, separates people, causes a divide, forced marriages etc etc. These ? refuse to see the negative impacts that this has had and is still having on society till this day.

It's like how some dumb ? wonder why our race is in the state it's in now. Like all them people ? with us for 100's of years didn't have a ever lasting negative effect on us? These ? are in that same mindstate and don't even realize it.
  • The_Jackal
    Options

They can ignore 100's of years of destruction of knowledge, misinformation, subjugation, hoarding and burying of knowledge, spreading of ignorance, striking fear and doubt in people, conditioning, limiting of personal growth, etc etc in the name of organized religion. But will pull their pants down, bend over, and take a ? in the ass with a smile on their faces when it comes to religion(super pause!!)

Like I said before, they are doing nothing more than proving my point about the effects of organized religion an human beings. This ? is nothing more than a tool that the wrong people have their claws on. You see the amish people? One of many perfect examples of what I'm speaking on. There's religions that say it's wrong to use condoms, eve(women) was created from a mans ? rib bone, banning telescopes, woman can't do this and that, separates people, causes a divide, forced marriages etc etc. These ? refuse to see the negative impacts that this has had and is still having on society till this day.

It's like how some dumb ? wonder why our race is in the state it's in now. Like all them people ? with us for 100's of years didn't have a ever lasting negative effect on us? These ? are in that same mindstate and don't even realize it.

Post any of it and relate it to stopping human progress. Oh wait you can't
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    YES & NO
    The coptics and Ethiopians used it much differently versus Europeans and heck Syrian christians used it differently. A book even if it was written by Yahweh himself ain't stopping their genetic craziness lol. Even if they were Jedi they would have used imperialism and their religion and certain functions of it to ? any revolutionary spirit and to form people to their ideology so they can use them aka King Afonso of Kongo.

It's the people and what they do with it, you have plenty of coptic christians who were researchers and even some were muslim and did great improvements of science and mathematics.
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    YES & NO
    Organized Corruption holds humanity back it just tends to manifest itself through religion quite often...
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    YES & NO
    I was watching this video the Elder basically said that anything that Europeans use was for their benefit no matter how great the philosophy a system could be, they wanted power and resources and ? so no matter what it was gonna be use to further that cause.
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    YES & NO
    Imo you have to believe there's a ? but the extent people go to to express it is dumb.
  • PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    YES
    qawshun wrote: »
    Imo you have to believe there's a ? but the extent people go to to express it is dumb.
    This is exactly how I(and a lot of other people) feel. There's a shitload of this going on out there and that's scary and quite disturbing if you ask me. You just can't get a lot of them to see this though. Their image/description/feelings/faith of ? is supreme!!! lol. There's no room for any other arguments in their eyes. No matter how crazy, evil, or weird it may be.
  • anduin
    anduin Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We're mostly past it affecting our knowledge acquisition but barriers over issues related to subjects like stem cell research seem to bring out mostly religious people in the Don't category. Nowadays it's more related to culture, you can have religion exist prominently in your culture but not allow it to suffocate it like you see in the Middle East. You have groups that are just about that one thing in life while others are realizing the world isn't what it was 2000 years ago and those values can still be applied more rationally in a modern world.
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As with many things in this world, the answer is most likely yes and no. I strongly question someone's objectivity when they lean too far to either side.

Also, this whole idea of blaming religion, guns, money, etc. is ? . Human beings are primarily the ones responsible for their own actions, whether those actions bring about positive or negative consequences.
  • rodneyskinner
    rodneyskinner Members Posts: 135 ✭✭
    Options
    YES & NO
    It wasn't the Dark Ages cause the Church was giving out new light.