Has organized religion held human advancement back?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    YES & NO
    yes + no
  • Paprika
    Paprika Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NO
    The first 5 pages were a slog to progress through. Multiple people arguing about separate topics while those trying to stick to the thread are being ignored in favour of sweeping generalizations. Sounds like the Church you're arguing against.

Women have never been apart of the decision making process until Mary Tudor (? Mary) became queen. If you go back in time, the only significant woman before her was Joanne. These two women rebelled against the ideas held against them and succeeded. Even at the top they didn't last long. Women were domesticated until the mid 19th century.

The witch persecution was a tactic to scare citizens into hating the enemy you wanted dead. Comparable to someone being accused for treason in the military.

When talking about human advancement, some of the better advancements came from those who were involved with religion like Mendel, or Newton. The 1800s showed a time where great minds invented a lot for modern human uses like fingerprint identification and the weather map. Both created by Francis Galton (Darwin's cousin).

This topic really relates to the 1900s and current era as technology wasn't advanced as it is now. Stem cells have been in use since the 60s.

Even looking back, theories being put out by scientists couldn't be denied. Darwin's theory that all humans descended from one ancestor was essentially an accepted fact when he made it. Gravity has been proved and accepted in three different centuries, Newton was the first to write the science.

The church currently, isn't a force in stopping the continuation of gene splicing, GMO and stem cell research. That all can be accredited to the government. More on this tomorrow.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It's held the black community and poor people back. All these atheists, nihilists, and satanists are successful as ? . I believe good, but not what I've been thought through Christianity that a white pig taught me.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    YES & NO
    Rockefeller was the richest man in American history and he believed in ? .
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NO
    It's held the black community and poor people back. All these atheists, nihilists, and satanists are successful as ? . I believe good, but not what I've been thought through Christianity that a white pig taught me.

statements like this are not educated ones at all its from people who want something to blame...

the biggest people in the civil rights movements were religious... Christian AND Muslim... plus the fact that so many think that success means wealth definitely shows how brainwashed people are... wealth can be taken from you in a snap... you know when the stock market crashed how many people committed suicide because they put a dollar on their "self worth" smh.. and its funny how racism from both whites and blacks can block what they can learn... so many blacks are blinded to the history of religion.. not just Christianity religion period.. if you follow something dont do so blindly.. and dont criticize blindly either you will end up looking stupid every time...
  • Paprika
    Paprika Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NO
    @iKingGodGivBiz there is too much evidence for those that had religious backgrounds that advanced lives.

Toussaint L'Overture was a Roman catholic. With the help of Muslim and catholic slaves they took back Haiti. Fought three different established nations and won. Went on to free other nations that endorsed slavery.

The human spirit is undeniable. And some backed by their faith, whether it be religion or people shall break barriers.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Paprika wrote: »
    @iKingGodGivBiz there is too much evidence for those that had religious backgrounds that advanced lives.

Toussaint L'Overture was a Roman catholic. With the help of Muslim and catholic slaves they took back Haiti. Fought three different established nations and won. Went on to free other nations that endorsed slavery.

The human spirit is undeniable. And some backed by their faith, whether it be religion or people shall break barriers.

Sake Pase. Trust me I know about Toussaint probably as much as you do judging by your name.

You're still taught to bow down to a white Jesus, with a white name that a slavemaster gave to you passed down speaking a white mans language. I'll get deeper with this later.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    YES & NO
    Who's still taught to bow Down to a white Jesus??? I've never met these black people and I know a lot of black people. Maybe they exist but in extremely small numbers.