2016 Oscar Nominations Announced

Options

Comments

• Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    did we see the same movie?
    leo aint do ? in the revenant. dude fought a bear and lived. foh. hardy had a good performance but the movie itself wasnt all that to me. it'll be some ? if leo gets his first oscar from this meh ass role

speaking of meh, thats how i felt after reading these oscar nominations. mad max was probably my favorite movie last year and being that its basically a 2 hour action film i was shocked it was nominated. the martian was good too. everything else either looked meh based on the preview or i had no interest in seeing (big short is an exception but i havent gotten around to that yet)

also, not one black got nominated for the main categories? oh thats right, no slave or black subservient movies came out last year

? are quick to laugh at the idea of straight outta compton, f gary gray, michael b jordan, will smith, idris elba, or samuel l being nominated for the main categories. why though? what makes the movies and actors that were nominated so much superior? its not like im making a case for furious 7 here. why are yall so quick to dismiss the efforts of your own people just to praise these bland ass white movies?

a white man got nominated for playing a ? .....
    come on now
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited January 2016
    Options
    fortyacres wrote: »
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    Only loss I see Leo taking for best actor is from fassbender. I haven't seen the jobs movie, but hears he did a hell of a job. The others I don't really see as a threat except maybe Damon from the martian. This should be Leo's year.

never underestimate hollywood's agenda

eddie redmayne is leo's biggest threat.

If redmayne wins i feel like it'll be more cuz he won last year not necessarily cuz of the role he played this time. The oscars loves giving the same ppl recognition and awards.

The emmys is way more progressive and pro ? than the oscars.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    did we see the same movie?
    leo aint do ? in the revenant. dude fought a bear and lived. foh. hardy had a good performance but the movie itself wasnt all that to me. it'll be some ? if leo gets his first oscar from this meh ass role

speaking of meh, thats how i felt after reading these oscar nominations. mad max was probably my favorite movie last year and being that its basically a 2 hour action film i was shocked it was nominated. the martian was good too. everything else either looked meh based on the preview or i had no interest in seeing (big short is an exception but i havent gotten around to that yet)

also, not one black got nominated for the main categories? oh thats right, no slave or black subservient movies came out last year

? are quick to laugh at the idea of straight outta compton, f gary gray, michael b jordan, will smith, idris elba, or samuel l being nominated for the main categories. why though? what makes the movies and actors that were nominated so much superior? its not like im making a case for furious 7 here. why are yall so quick to dismiss the efforts of your own people just to praise these bland ass white movies?

a white man got nominated for playing a ? .....
    come on now
    I feel you to an extent, but you're being too dismissive of Leo's performance. He's had better roles and didnt have much dialogue, but it was still a great performance. That being said, this could be his "Scent of a Woman". At least I hope so.

"Straight Outta Compton" just wasnt that good of a movie. It was too rushed towards the end. Outside of Giamatti, the dude who played Eazy was the only one who gave a strong performance. Ice Cube's son is not a good actor. I dont care how much he looks like his dad. Though im surprised an action packed film like Mad Max could get nominated over it. "Creed" was a really good (not great) movie, but Stallone was obviously the strong point of the film. Michael B Jordan's performance wasnt all that special. The only person who really got snubbed was Ryan Coogler. He should've got a best director nod.

I wouldnt be surprised of Redmayne won. Hollywood's ? agenda will never die. Just multiply.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    get Brooklyn, Trumbo (both nominations) and Bridge of Spies the ? outta here!!!

Ryan Coogler - Creed/ Best Picture & Best director

Michael Jordan - Creed Best Actor

Tessa Thompson - Creed Best supporting

Idris Elba - Best Supporting Beasts of no nation.

Abraham Attah - Best actor beasts of no nation.

Benicio Del Toro - Best Support Actor for Sicario.

maybe Jason Mitchell for best supporting in Straight outta Compton.

Bruh...
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options
    Lol creed really wasn't all that. I'd take a best director tho for the fight scenes alone
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    Get Mad Max the ? up outa here

I see i offended alot of people with this

But for real a Best Picture nom?

It was a 2hr car chase. I enjoyed the movie but if Mad Max gets in Best Picture convo then so should braindead films like Fast & Furious 7
  • PanchoYoSancho
    Options
    So she should be rewarded with an Oscar nomination for an average performance cause she's black?
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    I thought 40acres was being sarcastic but i guess not
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol tessa thompson ? go sit down she didnt do anything that would garner consideration for a supporting role

Now Beast of No Nation not having heavy consideration for

Picture
    Actor
    Supporting
    Director
    Cinematography

is criminal
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mad Max was really that good where Compton can't get a run? I haven't seen it so idk yall sounding like the Oscar committee in here.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's dope though that mad max is a Oscar nominated picture...
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    So she should be rewarded with an Oscar nomination for an average performance cause she's black?

is Rachel McCadams' performance better than hers ?

i bet non of you even watched Spotlight

im not say she should win but if folks are nominating people like McCadams as the standard then Tessa Tompson should be recgonized.

I didnt see Spotlight so i cant judge her performance but i did see Creed and no she dont get a nom from me.

Nothing about her in Creed stuck out to me
  • PanchoYoSancho
    Options

im not say she should win but if folks are nominating people like McCadams as the standard then Tessa Tompson should be recgonized.

I didnt see Spotlight so i cant judge her performance but i did see Creed and no she dont get a nom from me.

go watch it and then compare , my arguement is that sometimes hollywood dont reward on actual merit and if thats the case why the ? not if Tessa Tompson's whose performance is (imo) better than Rachel McCadams.

im not saying she should win because this clearly a Winslet or Rooney Mara fight but if Oscars wanna get rid of the that #oscarsowhite stigma these are areas where you can save face.

I can't comment on Rachel McAdams cause I didn't watch that film, but there shouldn't be no affirmative action for the Oscars. I don't know if McAdams should've been nominated, but I know Thompson shouldn't have and wasn't. I want to see POC do well in Hollywood, but you can't just give accolades to undeserving performances because they're underrepresented. What we need are more opportunities with better directors, scripts and roles That allow those with the most talent to show them.
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options
    Who remembers nominations tho?
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    That movie was very well received and acclaimed and so was her performance. The other movies in that category I don't think they had as strong performances. I hope Kate Winslett takes it tho.

Idk....i saw it and uhhhh....lol. not that anybody on any academy gives a ? about my opinion, but it wasn't all that to me.
    I'm a fan of hers so it's no shade at all but if she was ever gonna win one it def shoulda been for girl with the dragon tattoo.

You right tho it's a 2 person race between mara and winslet. They'll probly go with winslet cuz it's familiar.
  • TheGOAT
    Options

go watch it and then compare , my arguement is that sometimes hollywood dont reward on actual merit and if thats the case why the ? not if Tessa Tompson's whose performance is (imo) better than Rachel McCadams.

im not saying she should win because this clearly a Winslet or Rooney Mara fight but if Oscars wanna get rid of the that #oscarsowhite stigma these are areas where you can save face.

I can't comment on Rachel McAdams cause I didn't watch that film, but there shouldn't be no affirmative action for the Oscars. I don't know if McAdams should've been nominated, but I know Thompson shouldn't have and wasn't. I want to see POC do well in Hollywood, but you can't just give accolades to undeserving performances because they're underrepresented. What we need are more opportunities with better directors, scripts and roles That allow those with the most talent to show them.

the shouldnt be Affirmative Action but yall are content with White Priviledge at the Oscars ? Like Chris Rock said “I don’t think I should get a job over a white person if I scored a lower mark on the test but if there’s a tie, ? them. You have 400 years head start ? .”

and you guys seemed to pick only one out of the many accolades i said were well deserving to represent blacks and hispanics ,which is weird to me.In my opinion if did a good job in a supporting role.

Nah you can get Michael B Jordan out your Best Actor category & Creed out your Best Picture category.

Although... Creed > Mad Max imo

And as far as Beasts of No Nation the kid did a great job. I just dont know if the Oscars even consider straight to Netflix releases.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I aint watchin spotlight..
    stop with the petty ?
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Re: Beasts of No Nation, never underestimate politics;

Netflix bought the worldwide distribution rights for around $12 million. The film was simultaneously released theatrically and online through its subscription video on demand service on October 16, 2015,[17] with Bleecker Street handling the theatrical release.[18] Considering the online release a violation of the traditional 90-day release window of exclusivity to theatres, AMC Cinemas, Carmike Cinemas, Cinemark, and Regal Entertainment Group—four of the largest theater chains in the United States—announced that they would boycott Beasts of No Nation, effectively downgrading it to a limited release at smaller and independent theatres.
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    Re: Beasts of No Nation, never underestimate politics;

Netflix bought the worldwide distribution rights for around $12 million. The film was simultaneously released theatrically and online through its subscription video on demand service on October 16, 2015,[17] with Bleecker Street handling the theatrical release.[18] Considering the online release a violation of the traditional 90-day release window of exclusivity to theatres, AMC Cinemas, Carmike Cinemas, Cinemark, and Regal Entertainment Group—four of the largest theater chains in the United States—announced that they would boycott Beasts of No Nation, effectively downgrading it to a limited release at smaller and independent theatres.

Says its budget was only 6mil

Netflix pays 12

Only made 90k at box office

At least it profited 6mil
  • HundredEyes
    HundredEyes Members Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They Made beast of no nation with only 6 mil?! Should get a nod just for that performance lmao...
  • atribecalledgabi
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    What I want to know is what's the criteria for an Oscar nomination ? I imagine there must be a lot of politicking behind the scenes ? I wonder b/c Jamie Foxx is a swarmy dude and seems like every movie he stars in gets an academy award nom.

But LOOLOLOLOL @ ? being "shocked" tho I knew what was up when SELMA didn't get one ? nom SMMFH cuz it "didn't make the deadline" riiiiiggghhhttt.
    In today's climate where there just aren't a lot of great movies being made (domestically at least), it's not that hard to come up with 5-10 of the best movies.

I'm more interested to know what's the criteria for picking the winners.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beasts Of No Nation wasn't a great film per say; probably the cinematography and Idris Elba's performance would be fitting of any award recognition IMO. A couple of Africans were upset with the film as it wrongfully (and lazily) mixed up West African cultures as regards names and language..

The Academy Awards are always about 50% right most of the time and the voters are majority old White males with an average age of 60.

I wouldn't be shocked if DiCaprio is snubbed for Redmayne (? propaganda always triumphs in Hollywood).

Emanuel Lubezki will definitely win his third consecutive Oscar for Cinematography
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Get Mad Max the ? up outa here

I see i offended alot of people with this

But for real a Best Picture nom?

It was a 2hr car chase. I enjoyed the movie but if Mad Max gets in Best Picture convo then so should braindead films like Fast & Furious 7

This doesn't make any sense because unlike F&F Mad Max is not a braindead movie. There is structure to it and tremendous originality which required a lot of thought being put into it from the filmmakers.

The movie had almost an entire decade in production to use to it's advantage and it showed. The choreography alone is leagues ahead of any creative investment put into any of the F&F movies.

Not to mention the overall originality and worldbuilding with the production design and very unconventional but purely original characters and performances. The direction alone is miles ahead of anything F&F could ever dream of. All that without even getting into the cinematography and the narrative risk taking (putting the whole movie on the back of a minority [female] character).

I enjoy the F&F movies but this comparison isn't even apples and oranges. It's more like apples and watermelons.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    get Brooklyn, Trumbo (both nominations) and Bridge of Spies the ? outta here!!!

Ryan Coogler - Creed/ Best Picture & Best director

Michael Jordan - Creed Best Actor

Tessa Thompson - Creed Best supporting

Idris Elba - Best Supporting Beasts of no nation.

Abraham Attah - Best actor beasts of no nation.

Benicio Del Toro - Best Support Actor for Sicario.

maybe Jason Mitchell for best supporting in Straight outta Compton.

Bruh...

did i stutter ? , Rachel Mccadams was barely in spotlight and did nothing , but she was nominated , why no Tessa Tompson who actually was part of the narrative.

Crazy thing is president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is a Black woman smh.

Rachel McAdams still had a greater impact on the narrrative and even more screentime than William Hurt in A History of Violence. Which is a role he got a supporting actor oscar nod for despite only like 5 min of screen time.

I do agree that Tessa Thompson should've been nominated. Also do feel that there were a lot of snubs which is why I won't bother watching. Then again I haven't watched the Oscars in 14 years after learning without a doubt how driven by industry politics and not actual merit the process really is. I skip the grammys for the same reason.

Nevertheless just pointing out how that supporting actress nod is consistant with the academy's past. So it really shouldn't be a surprise. To give credit where its due though fury road was definitely worthy of a lot of it's nominations off merit alone.