‘10 Cloverfield Lane’ 2016

Options

Comments

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    JusDre313 wrote: »
    my office building literally shares a parking lot with this big movie theater thats next door. Get off at 5, they got a 5pm showtime. im gon go check this right after work. i'll be back

Same with my job. 2 minute walk to the movie theaters.
  • TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just saw it. I think the most unexpected part was
    when he shot your boy. I didn't see that coming. The ? hit the fan after that though, so it was a good catalyst. I didn't like that all of a sudden she's this badass. Also, it was pretty convenient that she was a clothing designer who needed a hazmat suit to escape.
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its A Glorified Prologue To Cloverfield 2 Decent But Nothing Great
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I enjoyed this up until the last 15 mins where the corporate influence inevitibly kicks in, before that it was a really good tense thriller.

John goodman beasted his role, and the winstead chick would get them long strokes too.
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First time I ever heard of Winstead was a movie called Smashed with Aaron Paul and Nick Offerman. Real good movie.
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rampage12 wrote: »
    First time I ever heard of Winstead was a movie called Smashed with Aaron Paul and Nick Offerman. Real good movie.

Yeah where she plays a pisshead, slept on performance from her.

You not seen scott pilgrim i take it?
  • Rampage12
    Options
    lazypakman wrote: »

Yeah where she plays a pisshead, slept on performance from her.

You not seen scott pilgrim i take it?

Nah, I consider myself a movie/TV nerd but that's always one that's slipped through the cracks for some reason.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just saw it in IMAX. I really liked it.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    eyes low wrote: »
    Really liked the movie just didn't like the tie in to cloverfield at the end.
    The movie ends with something out of the farmhouse scene in Spielberg’s War of the Worlds, with Michelle escaping from Howard and getting outside of the shelter, only to find that aliens have invaded and are hunting people. She must outwit a worm-like attack dog and then do exactly what Tom Cruise did in War of the Worlds, introducing an explosive device into a biological looking orifice on an alien craft to escape from its massive tentacles. Then, after all of this, she embarks to Houston to kick some alien ass, in a “the battle is over, let’s fight the war” kind of ending cribbed from Battle: Los Angeles. In the last shot, flashes of lightning reveal alien ships in the distance, indicating the film-long struggle we just witnessed is comparatively minuscule.

In the original script, Michelle escapes the shelter and is chased through the farmhouse by Howard, who still wants to “protect” her. She blinds him with bathroom cleaner, he tells her about his tragic life (dead wife, missing daughter, treacherous Nate, etc.), and then she shoots him in the kneecap and runs away. He ends the movie alive, entreating Michelle to “be careful.” Later, after traveling down empty roads and finding no one around to help her, she crests a hill and sees the Chicago skyline, smoldering and destroyed. No explanation is given. We don’t even know what she will do next, only that she now knows that Howard, for all his oddity, was correct. The final line in the script is, “She slowly pulls down the mask on the hazmat suit before taking a breath.”

I think I would've preferred this. Goodman was awesome man.
  • Rampage12
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »
    The movie ends with something out of the farmhouse scene in Spielberg’s War of the Worlds, with Michelle escaping from Howard and getting outside of the shelter, only to find that aliens have invaded and are hunting people. She must outwit a worm-like attack dog and then do exactly what Tom Cruise did in War of the Worlds, introducing an explosive device into a biological looking orifice on an alien craft to escape from its massive tentacles. Then, after all of this, she embarks to Houston to kick some alien ass, in a “the battle is over, let’s fight the war” kind of ending cribbed from Battle: Los Angeles. In the last shot, flashes of lightning reveal alien ships in the distance, indicating the film-long struggle we just witnessed is comparatively minuscule.

In the original script, Michelle escapes the shelter and is chased through the farmhouse by Howard, who still wants to “protect” her. She blinds him with bathroom cleaner, he tells her about his tragic life (dead wife, missing daughter, treacherous Nate, etc.), and then she shoots him in the kneecap and runs away. He ends the movie alive, entreating Michelle to “be careful.” Later, after traveling down empty roads and finding no one around to help her, she crests a hill and sees the Chicago skyline, smoldering and destroyed. No explanation is given. We don’t even know what she will do next, only that she now knows that Howard, for all his oddity, was correct. The final line in the script is, “She slowly pulls down the mask on the hazmat suit before taking a breath.”

I think I would've preferred this. Goodman was awesome man.

I would've liked it better that way too I think.
    Kinda crazy how nobody was actually "right" about Howard. He wasn't just one or the other, he was a pervert/murderer and was right and ahead of the game to have a stormshelter/safehouse
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just finished watching. Cant add much more to what's already been said in this thread. As a stand alone film, it was an impressive thriller. But the tie in to Cloverfield was ridiculous.
    Outside of the last 15 minutes, there was no reason to name it Cloverfield other than an attempt to sell tickets. John Goodman acted his big ass off and it's a shame he's not gonna get any recognition for it. Goodman was on his Kathy Bates in "Misery" ? which had a very similar plot. James Caan gets rescued from a car crash only to be held in captivity and abused.
    The movie ends with something out of the farmhouse scene in Spielberg’s War of the Worlds, with Michelle escaping from Howard and getting outside of the shelter, only to find that aliens have invaded and are hunting people.
    This is exactly what I was thinking. They could've just condensed this into a portion of a true Cloverfield sequel and I woulda been good.
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good film. I thought the tie in was actually kinda dope tho.
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    charles2 wrote: »
    Just saw it. I think the most unexpected part was
    when he shot your boy. I didn't see that coming. The ? hit the fan after that though, so it was a good catalyst. I didn't like that all of a sudden she's this badass. Also, it was pretty convenient that she was a clothing designer who needed a hazmat suit to escape.

She was about that life since the beginning of the movie she never ever fell into a weak damsel in distress role imo

This was a great movie the tie in to Cloverfield at the end was awesome
  • L.O.S.T.
    L.O.S.T. Members Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I must have missed the tie in
  • L3NU
    L3NU Members Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    L.O.S.T. wrote: »

I missed it too or just forgot, can you enlighten us?
  • wmj710
    wmj710 Members Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought it was really good. Loved the ending and how it tied into the cloverfield series. I hope they make more movies.
  • Rampage12
    Options
    L3NU wrote: »

You must not have watched the movie or Cloverfield to not catch it.
    When she finally escapes the shelter and fights all the aliens??? Or when she drives off in the car and hears the announcement on the radio???
  • L3NU
    L3NU Members Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When she finally escapes the shelter and fights all the aliens??? Or when she drives off in the car and hears the announcement on the radio???

Well the reason I didn't make the connection is because. ..
    the alien from this one looked nothing like the monster from the first one? Not to me anyways.
  • BangEm_Bart
    Options
    I'm gonna have to buy the whole cloverfield collection now.
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

the alien from this one looked nothing like the monster from the first one? Not to me anyways.

man i saw the film and didnt see any connection to the first one either.
  • BangEm_Bart
    edited May 2016
    Options

I don't think the aliens are connected. I just think it's set as a bunch of crazy ass stories centered around the cloverfield name as a whole. The name itself has some sort of stigma where weird ? happens around it and aliens tie into it. Remember, Cloverfield was in NY, this movie is in Baton Rouge, Louisiana so it could be all types of different ? happening around The world in an area named cloverfield. The next movie could be a different type of horror movie. John Goodman did a terrific job btw.
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't think the aliens are connected. I just think it's set as a bunch of crazy ass stories centered around the cloverfield name as a whole. The name itself has some sort of stigma where weird ? happens around it and aliens tie into it. Remember, Cloverfield was in NY, this movie is in Baton Rouge, Louisiana so it could be all types of different ? happening around The world in an area named cloverfield. The next movie could be a different type of horror movie. John Goodman did a terrific job btw.

guess i'll take your word for it... didnt really care for the movie. But cs Goodman acted his ass off in it