Better Overall stable: OG nWo vs OG D-X

Options
jono
jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2016 in Off The Turn Buckle
Its the Jay-Z/Nas, the 2Pac/Biggie of wrestling arguments...but its that time again...we only discussing the early versions of the groups this time.

01.jpg
Hall
Nash
Hogan

degenerationx2.jpg
HBK
HHH
Chyna
Rude

Better Overall stable: OG nWo vs OG D-X 30 votes

nWo
80%
Dupacsouth4lifeinfamous114kj_da_midwest_mobstaBroddiepowerman 5000BeleeDatPleighboySerious Juice MayneL.O.S.T.Idiopathic Jokerits....JOHN BChi-Town BullyStoneColdMikeyMister B.playboy buddy rosesilverfoxxCockMcStuffinsgenocidecutterAngeles1son85$tayRichROLLIN 24 votes
DX
20%
willhustlejonojoeyfkncrakkPanchoYoSanchoRickyRichblackgod813 6 votes

Comments

• Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • BeleeDatPleighboy
    BeleeDatPleighboy Members Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nWo
    Hogan heel turn >>>> all the "edgy" ? HBK and nem did
  • jono
    Options
    DX
    Hmm the heel turn itself was powerful...an iconic moment for the business
  • BeleeDatPleighboy
    BeleeDatPleighboy Members Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nWo
    jono wrote: »
    Hmm the heel turn itself was powerful...an iconic moment for the business

arguably THE iconic moment of the biz
  • jono
    Options
    DX
    Its a good argument to be had...not many moments can compete.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    I cant really call it

NWO had the bigger impact ? aint close.

but i was more a WWF guy so i watched them more
  • jono
    Options
    DX
    I am more of a DX fan though. I think Hogan's turn was the blueprint but DX started the ATTITUDE ERA.
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DX
    I'm a go left field with it and say DX. I know the thread is about the OG squads but I can't negate the expansion squads that branched out both factions.

When Hogan finally turned heel in '96 to start the nWo nobody saw it coming it was a simple backstabbing angle but the players involved is what made that angle work. This is a time where there were no social media or dirt sheet websites to get spoilers/results from. For a while the nWo made wrestling popular and started a ratings war that made wrestling beyond popular and hasn't return to that glory since. When DX came on the scene I really didn't know what to make of them but a rival to The Hart Foundation stable. I was getting a little tired of the stables because WWF was doing nothing but teams & stables in '97. Throwing Rick Rude in the group was cool but he jumped ship after the Montreal Incident (They really didn't need Rude).

Ok here's why I chose DX over nWo. nWo started out and felt like a real concept, an actual hostile takeover of WCW. You had Nash, Hall, & Hogan disrupt matches/announcers just for the hell of it. Cool concept for 90's wrestling. The problems with the nWo is that they had a new member every week to the point the majority of the locker room was nWo. Which caused the nWo to split into 2 factions. Add on top of it, there were good main events ending in no contests/no dq's from nWo run-ins. When Goldberg won the belt on Nitro that should have been the end or at least the beginning of the end of nWo.

DX actually got better with HBK's departure and Trips taking over as leader w/Chyna, NAO, & X-Pac. HHH vs Rock in the mid-card was dope while Stone Cold ushering in a new era in WWF as the main attraction with big feuds against Undertaker & Kane. The NAO were the hypemen and leaders of the tag division. Vince giving the creative team the freedom to put out what they wanted. The nWo was getting stale & old and WCW was going down the tubes slowly because high ups wouldn't step in and end it.
  • jono
    Options
    DX
    Bobby Heenan spoiled Hogan's heel turn...i maintain commentators shouldn't know the finish
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nWo
    I missed a lot of that early dx stuff because of the NWO
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nWo
    willhustle wrote: »
    I'm a go left field with it and say DX. I know the thread is about the OG squads but I can't negate the expansion squads that branched out both factions.

When Hogan finally turned heel in '96 to start the nWo nobody saw it coming it was a simple backstabbing angle but the players involved is what made that angle work. This is a time where there were no social media or dirt sheet websites to get spoilers/results from. For a while the nWo made wrestling popular and started a ratings war that made wrestling beyond popular and hasn't return to that glory since. When DX came on the scene I really didn't know what to make of them but a rival to The Hart Foundation stable. I was getting a little tired of the stables because WWF was doing nothing but teams & stables in '97. Throwing Rick Rude in the group was cool but he jumped ship after the Montreal Incident (They really didn't need Rude).

Ok here's why I chose DX over nWo. nWo started out and felt like a real concept, an actual hostile takeover of WCW. You had Nash, Hall, & Hogan disrupt matches/announcers just for the hell of it. Cool concept for 90's wrestling. The problems with the nWo is that they had a new member every week to the point the majority of the locker room was nWo. Which caused the nWo to split into 2 factions. Add on top of it, there were good main events ending in no contests/no dq's from nWo run-ins. When Goldberg won the belt on Nitro that should have been the end or at least the beginning of the end of nWo.

DX actually got better with HBK's departure and Trips taking over as leader w/Chyna, NAO, & X-Pac. HHH vs Rock in the mid-card was dope while Stone Cold ushering in a new era in WWF as the main attraction with big feuds against Undertaker & Kane. The NAO were the hypemen and leaders of the tag division. Vince giving the creative team the freedom to put out what they wanted. The nWo was getting stale & old and WCW was going down the tubes slowly because high ups wouldn't step in and end it.

I agree with most of this, if it wasn't og vs og I would go with dx
  • jono
    Options
    DX
    I think its more debatable OG vs OG, i think I'd still ride with DC though.

HBK and HHH clowning Slaughter and Bret Hart are hilarious
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    nWo
    DX was super ? so I'll go with nWo
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nWo
    NWO changed Wrestling and without them forming, we may not have had DX form.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am more of a DX fan though. I think Hogan's turn was the blueprint but DX started the ATTITUDE ERA.

Nah ECW was behind the attitude era.
  • jono
    Options
    DX
    Turfaholic wrote: »

Nah ECW was behind the attitude era.

I think ECW gets credit for some elements but what DX was doing was nothing like what any ECW act was doing.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    In the long run DX.

The way NWO formed was what made them ill and the beating they handed ? but afterwards it got wack cause 97% of WCW became NWO.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nWo
    DX formed because of NWO
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    when disco inferno became nwo, i stopped caring
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    nWo
    It's OG vs og but y'all still bringing up other shjt wtf
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    DX
    I lived thru DX, but I didnt start ? with WCW or Hogan til late 97 so I cant compare. I know nWo had a far bigger impact, but looking back at all those Nitros/PPVs, it got predictable by the end of 96. Just another excuse for Hogan to keep burying everybody. But focusing on the original stables, the the nWo trio didnt last long before others started joining in while the DX trio (Rude doesnt count) lasted around 7 months. That being said, I just rewatched Bash at the Beach 96 the other day. ? was amazing. And you could tell on the Nitros, the nWo was doing something that hadnt been done before. Even when it was just the Outsiders, you were seeing something that was completely different from what was going on at the time compared to all the cartoonish ? both companies were doing (I didnt watch ECW, so I cant speak on em). nWo brought a reality to wrestling that hadnt been seen before.

DWO wrote: »
    DX formed because of NWO
    I disagree. They were nothing alike. nWo was a street gang of middle aged white dudes and Token (Vincent). DX was a bunch of class clowns.

EDIT: ? it. I change my vote. nWo 4 Life
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    nWo
    OG DX was kinda corny and had too many ? white boy humor stuff going on with them
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nWo
    No contest.
  • grYmes
    grYmes Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    nWo
    I wanna say DX since I was more a WWF fan back then but looking back nWo was some innovative ? . That first year or so it was the greatest thing in wrestling. Without it there would of been no DX.