Novel writing, self publish or shop the majors?

Options
Dupac
Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been working on a novel, and everybody is trying to get me to self publish.... I feel like I should shop it with a big publisher..

I don't want to be that guy who floods his social media and pressures friends and family for sales,

I feel like I should just have to write and let the publisher do the leg work

Thoughts??

Comments

• Dupac
    Options
    Dudes be riding around with like 500 books in their car, and can't even have a civil conversation with out trying to hustle their books,

I don't want to be that guy...

I like writing, but I don't want it to consume my regular life and all social interactions
  • Paprika
    Paprika Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That's pretty cool you're that far along. The fact is, we live in an engagement world. Interaction is the way fans stick with your work.

It seems to me like you would like the success of a good book but don't want to promote it. Interviews and book signings are in the contract of major publishers. Not to mention appearing as a key note speaker at colleges and conventions. New writers usually have a decent amount of showings to attend, I don't think it would be any different for you.

Before I speak on self-publishing, can you answer these questions?

What are your goals as a writer?
    Can you give me a summary of your book?

• Dupac
    Options
    i read tons of crime novels

james patterson, donald goines, walter mosley, elmore lonard, jeff lindsay

and i have an overactive imagination, so i figured i'd give it a shot.
    i like what i wrote, and i sent it off to be copy written.

I want to get it edited and published, but i'm also going to use a pen name.....

the thing is, i've done sales before, but i didn't like it becuz it consumes your life. every social interaction becomes what i do and how i can help you and your family save money on this and bla bla bla.....if i go to a Christmas party i want to enjoy myself, not figure out how many people in the room i can sell my book to before leaving....go to my son's graduation....oh ? , potential fans, lemme hustle this book real quick,

i'm actually fairly good at networking, but again it's like are people really ? with you for you? or bcuz you know this guy, and that guy, and you can link those people together....pretty much every personal acquaintance becomes business and hustle, and genuine relationships are lost....

now i have no problem doing some of the things that you mentioned earlier like book signings and interviews....more times than not you're talking to people who already have an interest in what you're doing that's fine....they're nt the people i'm watching the superbowl with, it would just be like going to work..you do your job and you bounce.....

my thing is building my own personal fan base is that i would run the risk of coming off as obnoxious trying to solicit friends and family, who might not even read to begin with, or even read the kinda ? i'm writing, all to make a buck.

? 's corny to me....

i went to a cousin in media to see if he knew any publishers or editors i could talk to, and this ? telling me to clean my ? up and write plays on some ole gospel ? for colleges....

i'm like bruh, i wanna write about ? getting shot throw windows, ? with phat ? , and riding around with bodies in the trunk, i ain't tryna save souls, i'm trying to write some gritty ? .....

but yea, it's a crime novel with ? getting shot through windows, ? with fat ? , and riding around with bodies in the trunk....

i built the characters up, developed them, gave them passions...then introduced a bunch of ? ? that reads like a action movie.....? was fun as hell to write.....i could truly do this forever
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How many words is it? I always come up cool ideas and story concepts but I never get past the brainstorming phase because I'm lazy AF.
  • Dupac
    Options
  • Paprika
    Paprika Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You should definitely have a website with a mailing list. If you don't want to have that type of interaction with people in real life the mailing list is key.

People always look at emails. Buy a domain that will be your pen name. Update blogs with tips, interviews, reviews, podcasts, etc.

I don't know if it's allowed on this site, but use this site as a platform to your own. You have over 50,000 posts and are a mod that is respected, take advantage of that.

Since you're well-versed in marketing you have to realize that Twitter is your key of entry. Follow other crime writers, powerhouses, and indie writers. Comment on blogs, build a name.

If you need beta writers post in here and let us know.

How many words is it? I always come up cool ideas and story concepts but I never get past the brainstorming phase because I'm lazy AF.

You should participate in the National Novel a month competition. Held in November but you can start any month you like. http://nanowrimo.org/
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Totally with you. I just finished a novel 800pgs I put a ton of work into and I feel basically if you don't get it published by a commercial publisher then you are amateur. I know alot of people would disagree, but there's a different respect you get when someone is willing to pay you for your work & yet also there is also some money that will be lost when letting someone else publish your work. Overall, I'm moving with the commercial outlets.
    I want my book in the library
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not an expert in this area at all, but I would think you could get some of both worlds if you chose a smaller publishing house.