Has battle rap reached its pinnacle?

Options
Lurkristocrat
Lurkristocrat Members Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
Since Loaded lux left earth on Calicoe and Jay Z sent that infamous tweet, has battle rap reached the mountain top and actually getting worse with the over satuation of content?

Comments

• Micmacmar3of3m
    Micmacmar3of3m Members Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    giphy.gif
    Bro wats going on... U seem to b questioning your love of da game??!?
  • Lurkristocrat
    Options
    lol i jus not feelin these new ? man. i think im in the early stages of disgruntled og.
  • Lurkristocrat
    Options
    it really hit me when goldie asked ? to come up wit a top ten list and all my ? was like early smack/url rappers haha. i knew it would be a bias ass list cuz i couldnt think of any new ? except for big kannon and excel.
  • Livefromclayco
    Livefromclayco Members Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SM2 was as big as battle rap's ever gonna be. It's too many leagues, most the new ? sound the same and the vets don't care anymore
  • Lurkristocrat
    Options
    lol summer madness is now fall sadness
  • Micmacmar3of3m
    Options
    it really hit me when goldie asked ? to come up wit a top ten list and all my ? was like early smack/url rappers haha. i knew it would be a bias ass list cuz i couldnt think of any new ? except for big kannon and excel.

Man dont let sum new to da culture, trollin ? ? yo love bro!!! Let this digest n reconsider... Im a Battle Rap ambassador n i cant let a good vet like myself allow deez new cats ? da game for ya!!! Member ? like dis

mqdefault.jpg

Hollow-Da-Don-vs-Charlie-Clips-recap-cover.jpg

46847565.cached.jpg

0.jpg

calicoe-vs-loaded-lux-e1344079508454-500x278.png

Just to name a few... U think if u stop ? wit it, and say a year or two later. And u hear Charlie gotta mook battle coming up.. U aint gon b interested n the least?? Or damn calicoe n Chess bout to drop, u wont give notta nair ? ??

giphy.gif

• Lurkristocrat
    Options

Man dont let sum new to da culture, trollin ? ? yo love bro!!! Let this digest n reconsider... Im a Battle Rap ambassador n i cant let a good vet like myself allow deez new cats ? da game for ya!!! Member ? like dis

mqdefault.jpg

Hollow-Da-Don-vs-Charlie-Clips-recap-cover.jpg

46847565.cached.jpg

0.jpg

calicoe-vs-loaded-lux-e1344079508454-500x278.png

Just to name a few... U think if u stop ? wit it, and say a year or two later. And u hear Charlie gotta mook battle coming up.. U aint gon b interested n the least?? Or damn calicoe n Chess bout to drop, u wont give notta nair ? ??

giphy.gif

e5X2U9.gif
  • Micmacmar3of3m
    Options

giphy.gif
    Looooooooooool thats more like it fam we n dis ?
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think the current format is getting a bit stale....More money than before and politics take away from the rawness that made everybody love it. The 2 on 2 thing is a nice touch, they should do an event called redemption where ? that previously battled rematch because there has been a lot of improvement from a lot of individual battlers.I havent heard many really, really good southern battlers. There hasn't been a really big, successful pay per view so there's room to grow. I think it's in like phase 3 of it's growth right now.

There hasn't been much cross promotion either. There's no "real" ranking system either, that would make some of these ? that try to milk that number 1 spot for 2 years without battling get active or look like clowns. I look at battle rap now like boxing was in its formative years. Loaded lux is the best i've seen, but I think the culture has yet to see its ali.

Anything great is going to ebb and flow, it's hard to stay at the pinnacle of your powers with no lull. In order to keep the pressure up, you have to reinvent yourself, and make your product fresh to go further. This is why cars have transmissions.

Battle rap has a lotta room, just gotta be more creative.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    I felt like that after lux/hollow battle. Hit me that theres a strong chance we won't ever see something like that again...which is weird to say cuz battle rap is still fairly "new"

I got back into it end of last year tho. Leagues just gotta focus on harboring new talent with personalities. I hope and pray when battle rap goes commercial, it keeps its essence.
  • Livefromclayco
    Livefromclayco Members Posts: 14,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People are too sensitive for battling to go mainstream. All those Sandra Bland, Mike Brown punches would've got ? destroyed if more people paid attention.
  • Lurkristocrat
    Options
    I felt like that after lux/hollow battle. Hit me that theres a strong chance we won't ever see something like that again...which is weird to say cuz battle rap is still fairly "new"

I got back into it end of last year tho. Leagues just gotta focus on harboring new talent with personalities. I hope and pray when battle rap goes commercial, it keeps its essence.

But are people really paying attention to the new crop of rappers or just hoping for older cats to match up?
  • Lurkristocrat
    Options
    allday1992 wrote: »
    People are too sensitive for battling to go mainstream. All those Sandra Bland, Mike Brown punches would've got ? destroyed if more people paid attention.

some would argue its already gon mainstream
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mook vs Tsu can do alot for the culture aa far as matchups if they come with it. We can get some great battles off this one. Also throw in Bigg K and QP sons if they get on the stage and cook. Throw in Chilla if he continues to cook this year. You got those 5 ? and you throw in the hollow's, lux's and even Charlie maybe even Daylyt. I aint doing the math but thats alot of good ass battles.
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I probably been following battle rap longer than most of yall. I love where the game has gotten to as far as ? pen skills. Its a lil over saturated with all these small leagues poppin up and booking the same battlers instead of developing their own roster.

Not getting tired of it tho. I probably watch less battles and I'm not able to follow every battle that drops like I used to be able to do a couple years back since there's so many now

Also 2 on 2's are corny. They always have been, even since the grindtime era. Don't understand why y'all enjoy those
  • Micmacmar3of3m
    Options
    I probably been following battle rap longer than most of yall. I love where the game has gotten to as far as ? pen skills. Its a lil over saturated with all these small leagues poppin up and booking the same battlers instead of developing their own roster.

Not getting tired of it tho. I probably watch less battles and I'm not able to follow every battle that drops like I used to be able to do a couple years back since there's so many now

Also 2 on 2's are corny. They always have been, even since the grindtime era. Don't understand why y'all enjoy those[/quote
    ]
    Not a big fan of it either honestly
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    I hate 2 on 2s. I still ain't never watched one with DNA and k shine
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Also 2 on 2's are corny. They always have been, even since the grindtime era. Don't understand why y'all enjoy those

Agreed #coughs been watching battlerap since Shaheed the Posterboy was ? ? up on 106 & Park lol