Can you grow out of battle rap?

Lurkristocrat
Lurkristocrat Members Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

The older and more socially aware i become to issues such as Black lives matter, police brutality etc. I must admit its kind of hard to switch that off and enjoy 40 mins of two black men going back and forthe about who can ? each other the best.

Comments

• Sage Wonder
    Sage Wonder Members Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The older and more socially aware i become to issues such as Black lives matter, police brutality etc. I must admit its kind of hard to switch that off and enjoy 40 mins of two black men going back and forthe about who can ? each other the best.

honestly that's how i feel about rap in general right now... but i appreciate the "wordsmith" aspect of it, figurative language is an art.
  • Lurkristocrat
    Lurkristocrat Members Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

honestly that's how i feel about rap in general right now... but i appreciate the "wordsmith" aspect of it, figurative language is an art.

word
  • awwwwwwwwwww
    awwwwwwwwwww Members Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gun bars and black-on-black crime bars get old after a while, but I dont think Ill ever get tired of battle rap. I think as battle rap evolves there will be other things to rap about
  • Micmacmar3of3m
    Micmacmar3of3m Members Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I look at the gunbars as metaphorically saying how u gon ? a ? n da battle.. Most these dudes are cool with one another.. And honestly i been into battle rap for bout 15 years and very really has that type of activity happened around the kultcha!!!!
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Bruh you just are becoming aware of police brutality, ? been going on since blacks have been in this country. Its more of an indictment on you than battlerap. That being said its a sport like boxing and football. Do you watch physical sports? How do you feel when you see black men actually physically harming each other? But I see your point if the greasy talking is not done in a clever way it is meh.
  • Sage Wonder
    Sage Wonder Members Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think it's as much that as getting older and not being amused by the super thug ? .
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whats the chance of a throwback flossy style to come back full circle?
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got sick of battle rap there for awhile. Its turned into too much like wrestling. Aint seen a whole event since Blackout 4 or 5. Think it was 5.

Trying to get back into it but its hard and there are so many damn leagues now lol.
  • optimistic
    optimistic Members Posts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. I love this ? . Tbh if it wasn't for battles and ciphers I probably would've left hip hop alone a long time ago and I've been here since the beginning.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Its kinda like hip hop music, unless its a battle that's long overdue, I feel like most battle rappers hit their peaks within a year. Their style fan easily be broken down into almost a formula to the point that you don't care much for their battles anymore. The only thing that really keeps me in it is evolution of talent and watching new and upcoming talent

Alot of dope mcs never get posted here, but I'll try my best to shine some light on them.
  • Noble Al Lee
    Noble Al Lee Members Posts: 914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think you can outgrow it anymore than you can outgrow sculpting or bass fishing. ? I've actually only recently had a new passion for it after years of not following. You can probably become jaded to it, or tired of it, but I don't know about outgrowing it. Its ever evolving.