Malcolm X vs James Baldwin (debate from 1963)

Options
white sympathizer
white sympathizer Members Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in The Social Lounge
http://youtu.be/-JIp9_IIV3s

Now i know you ? dont usually pay attention to ? , but take 30 mins of your life and listen to these 2 brothers debate black issues in 1963.

Who won to you?

Comments

• soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Baldwin spit that ? that is etherous in any decade of any century.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

yeh..
    true indeed..

but Malcolm got him on this one..
  • Asantewa
    Asantewa Members Posts: 71 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options

but Malcolm got him on this one..

No, never. Malcolm provided an alternative in a world in which a Martin Luther King existed, which promoted that Blacks be docile to whites, that no matter what white people did to us, that we love them because they are our bothers. That seeked for us to go out in the Jim Crow south and be abused hoping that by allowing white people to see us abused they will have a heart, and feel sorry for us and change their ways. He seeked to guilt white people. Malcolm provided an alternative, an extreme projection and point of view for Blacks who seek to rebel. Baldwin offered the most intellectual explanation to solve the problems of Black America. He was was natural, he believed in violence and he believed in the humanism of King. Baldwin is perhaps one of the best writers in African American history. His book "A Fire Next Time" should be a mandatory read for all African American youth in public schools.
  • zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have never been interested in james balwin i just don't see the hype and appeal of the man
  • Asantewa
    Asantewa Members Posts: 71 ✭✭✭
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »
    I have never been interested in james balwin i just don't see the hype and appeal of the man

Baldwin is a requirement read at almost all HBCU's, and even at Yale and Harvard. You can't bypass his contributions in the Civil rights movement nor the Harlem Renaissance. He's an intellectual heavy weight.
  • zzombie
    Options
    Asantewa wrote: »
    zzombie wrote: »

Baldwin is a requirement read at almost all HBCU's, and even at Yale and Harvard. You can't bypass his contributions in the Civil rights movement nor the Harlem Renaissance. He's an intellectual heavy weight.

I did not go to a HBCU and while i understand why he is so important i just personally was not impressed by anything he wrote.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wasn't Baldwin a ? ? FOH! Malcolm by default. Baldwin should have fixed himself before attempting to speak on Black issues.
  • CapitalB
    Options
    Wasn't Baldwin a ? ? FOH! Malcolm by default. Baldwin should have fixed himself before attempting to speak on Black issues.

yeh.. he was ? ..
    but iv seen some of his other debates and he wit the ? tho...
    i ? wit him. NH
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options
    ? ? and black people don't mix. ? ? is anti-black or anti-African. Everything he said should be deemed null and void because he is a walking contradiction from his very essence.

Anyone with knowledge of our history and knowledge of the white man's history regarding ? ? could have easily dismantled him, and exposed him as an agent or mole based on his choice to promote homosexuality.

Like I said earlier, he should have fixed his sick mind before even attempting to step in those shoes. And to put him on the same level as a Malcolm X? SMH!
  • franknitti
    franknitti Members Posts: 154 ✭✭
    Options
    Malcolm, but Baldwin was winning the religion/theology part of the debate. I also noticed they agreed quite a bit.
  • whoseworldisthis
    whoseworldisthis Members Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Umm... did you read Malcolm X's book?

Baldwin wasn't the only one who "dabbled" in ? activities (nh)...
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    lol ya'll know Baldwin was a batty bwoy righ-

WAIT....WHAT?

giphy.gif
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What are you saying?
    No where in Malcolm's book does he say or imply he was involved in "? activities" foh
  • whoseworldisthis
    edited January 2016
    Options

What are you saying?
    No where in Malcolm's book does he say or imply he was involved in "? activities" foh

Dude, I'm not getting into a debate again on here about this...

I'm a big admirer of Malcolm X and I've always struggled with some of his activities in his "Malcolm Little" days when he was a "rent boy" in Harlem for the money... I guess you have to do some shady stuff some times to get by

He himself hints at it with the story of the guy giving a "? " to the old white businessman for money in his autobiography but the stories were heavily edited

Both Bruce Perry, Manning Marable, and Rodnell Collins (Malcolm X's nephew) have written about this. A man by the name of Willie May (edit: actually spelled Willie Mae), in fact, claims to have had "intimate" knowledge of Malcolm X (you can google his story).

Dude, I personally wish it wasn't true, but people used to say that J. Edgar Hoover wasn't ? too during this era... until the truth came out after he died.

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    WAIT....WHAT?
    beaten to this, but Marable's biography calls this out much more directly than the Autobiography does
  • Negro_Caesar
    Negro_Caesar Members Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol at u ? who are soooooo pro Malcolm but didn't know he took ? in the ass for money.

Fake ass Pro Black ?
  • whoseworldisthis
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Believe me, I'm not trying to throw shade on Malcolm X's legacy.

But he was a complex man and several people have both stated in interviews and wrote in books that he was a gigalo for money with men and women in his Malcolm Little years before prison...

You can't call out James Baldwin on this without also calling out Malcolm X on the same thing.
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ? Gregory gon beat the ? out u ?
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yall ? care too much about who is ? who...weirdos
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? _Caesar wrote: »
    Lol at u ? who are soooooo pro Malcolm but didn't know he took ? in the ass for money.

Fake ass Pro Black ?

????

Name names ? or foh
    Manning Marable's book bout Malcolm isnt something ? just heard about.
    You know about as much as I do in terms of this speculation

• zzombie
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The Malcolm x had ? sex slander is totally unsubstantiated and is unworthy to be mentioned.
  • zzombie
    Options
    Believe me, I'm not trying to throw shade on Malcolm X's legacy.

But he was a complex man and several people have both stated in interviews and wrote in books that he was a gigalo for money with men and women in his Malcolm Little years before prison...

You can't call out James Baldwin on this without also calling out Malcolm X on the same thing.

Why are you spreading these lies???
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options

The books I read about Malcolm X didn't mention anything about ? ? , so I don't know where you're getting your information from. I'm obviously going to need some form of proof. Anyone can spread or drop ? rumors about the next man.

And for debates sake, I know you're smart enough to comprehend the difference between a proud ? glorying same sex lifestyle versus someone who participated in ? acts for money on the low before he was "enlightened", as you claim.
  • CapitalB
    Options
    SELASI_i wrote: »
    ? Gregory gon beat the ? out u ?

HM!!?