Street Fighter II came out 25 years ago today

Options
grumpy_new_yorker
grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in IllGaming
Twenty-five years ago today, Street Fighter II launched in arcades. It was a different time. While the genre had already seen its foundation laid by other titles, Capcom’s sophomore effort in the world of Ryu and Ken proved to be the true beginning of traditional fighting game competition. If you were lucky, you stumbled upon the cabinet with a friend who already knew the ropes; many, however, were forced to experiment, slowly discovering a world of fireballs and uppercuts hidden beneath the surface.

It probably wouldn’t be a stretch to say every player has a history with Street Fighter II, whether it was when the game first released in 1991 or during the subsequent decade of updates, ports, and remixes. Seeing as I was barely two years old when the game initially popped up in arcades, my introduction would come some time later, first as a passing fancy on home consoles and then as a serious addiction later on. I can’t say I ever truly competed in Street Fighter II, but it still holds a special place in my heart, a sentiment that’s likely shared throughout the community.

And now, twenty-five years later, we look back on that time fondly. It was where we learned fundamentals, debated the legitimacy of throws, and pondered the physics of Dhalsim’s stretching limbs. A good player can earn what were once unimaginable levels of money this day and age, but there’s something special about the era of Street Fighter II that will never be replicated.

http://shoryuken.com/2016/02/06/today-marks-street-fighter-iis-25th-anniversary/

10012001.jpg

Comments

• grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? man, I remember the first time I seen a Street Fighter 2 cab back in the day. First character I picked was Blanka because he was so crazy looking.
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember using the charge characters first cause the fireball and shoryken motions were too hard for me to do

Remember I got better at it, thought I was nice until I went against my sister's friend. He humbled me real quick
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ryu and Guile were my dudes.. I remember going to the Comic Shop and i had my beginners luck lol.. and
    having Super Nintendo and this joint being $75. Before those crazy Street Fighters i had the game genie.. where you could fight in the air and do all sorts of ? that added another element ot the game which was cool

This is the first and last era that i ? with fighting games.

Tekken
    World Heroes
    Virtua fighter
    Mortal Kombat I and II
    and a few others i might have forgot

Shout out to Final Fight even thought it was a scroller not a traditional fighting game

• CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember when I went to my ? house he had the booklet lol I was ? THATS HOW THE COMPUTER DO THAT?

My dad found ours on a bus or sutten, just the cartridge. I was about 6. Ah man imagine some summer nights we'd have like 8 different ? stayin' over just to play
  • Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I still remember the first time i layed eyes on SF2. on an arcarde cabinet inside a grocery store. I only got to see it for a few seconds cuz my moms was rushing out the store. I was so amped that's all i could think about the rest of the whole day. i went home and started drawing flip books of some of the moves. Can't believe it was 25 years ago.

qrkx5messu0hweahnzr6.png
  • Figo
    Figo Members Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    used to whoop ppls ass with dhalsim. that coolie is gully. in this and ssf.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sf5 in 10 days im dripping with anticipation
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Smh probably wont get it till summer
  • Figo
    Figo Members Posts: 8,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    I first got SF2 in 1992 btw for Christmas and played the ? out of it. I played it like it was a day job LOLOLOLOL. My moms thought I was crazy but I knew that was the game that was it. I became the best player in my neighbourhood and the first kid to beat it. Before frame rates, timing, damage and everything was even found out I masted that game to the point where my family members thought I invented the game. For such a young kid that type of range was unheard of, I'm a prodigy. I wish ? on here would care enough to do an SF2 tournament just for old times sake. Curious to see how the rest of yall play. I know Cham, Bcotton, Geno, Lonious Monk be ? with them fighters but I don't never see the rest of yall on there. I aint judging but that's what I see. If yall ever do one hit me up.

ill participate if it is possible.
  • [Trillmatic]
    [Trillmatic] Members Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? I remember I always use to pick blanka cuz I didn't wanna fight the com version of him cuz he was hard as ? to beat. This is back when u couldn't pick 2 of the same character. Honda was my other favorite ? .
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Greatest video game soundtrack of all time too
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »

Guile's theme>>>>>
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion wrote: »
    I first got SF2 in 1992 btw for Christmas and played the ? out of it. I played it like it was a day job LOLOLOLOL. My moms thought I was crazy but I knew that was the game that was it. I became the best player in my neighbourhood and the first kid to beat it. Before frame rates, timing, damage and everything was even found out I masted that game to the point where my family members thought I invented the game. For such a young kid that type of range was unheard of, I'm a prodigy. I wish ? on here would care enough to do an SF2 tournament just for old times sake. Curious to see how the rest of yall play. I know Cham, Bcotton, Geno, Lonious Monk be ? with them fighters but I don't never see the rest of yall on there. I aint judging but that's what I see. If yall ever do one hit me up.

I do your love of the game one better:

I taught myself Ryu left handed. On a default controller. One handed. I got scared I wouldn't be able to play if I lost my right hand, so I started figuring out how to do ? with the left. When I got SF2: Turbo, I played the ? 18 hours straight. Cost $82 USD from Walmart on SNES. I mastered Ryu, Sagat, and Ken before going to Vega and Guile.

Started learning to wreck with my feet but never got past second star difficulty. Got ? and broke my only two controllers, so a ? was just looking at it for months sitting there. My game ain't comp level anymore, but I can still ? up any CPU with a Shoto fighter.
  • Bcotton5
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »

kanye sampled it on like 3 different songs on his new album