Complexion For the Protection: Peyton Didnt Shake Hands After Saints SB Loss

S2J
S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
And u probably never heard about it...

From 2010:

Peyton Manning(notes) didn't shake hands with New Orleans Saints players after his Indianapolis Colts lost 31-17 in Super Bowl XLIV. Apparently some think this is a sign of poor sportsmanship from the NFL's greatest player. It's not.
Walking off the field without congratulating Drew Brees(notes) may go against our misguided notion of what sportsmanship should be, but it wasn't at all disrespectful or bitter. It shows how much Peyton Manning wanted to win the game. And who can argue about that?
LeBron James was caught up in a similar controversy during the NBA playoffs last year and the same thing that was true then is true now: A perfunctory handshake doesn't make someone a good sport. It either makes them indifferent to the game's result or a good actor. What would people have preferred Peyton and LeBron do, laugh off the loss with apathy and treat the victors to dinner after? This isn't Little League.
The only time I question my sports fandom is when the players I'm rooting for seem to care less about the result than I do. I don't want to see my team's quarterback laughing on the sideline while losing a big game. If I care so much, why shouldn't the players?
"It's just a job for these guys," is a familiar refrain. The natural response to that is the great ones make their job their passion. Hall of Fames don't tend to include guys who can't care. The desire to win is what sustains greatness. You think Michael Jordan was hugging Isiah Thomas after losses in the 1980s? Or that Larry Bird stayed on the court to congratulate Kareem? Ted Williams and Joe DiMaggio weren't going out for drinks after the Yankees beat the Red Sox. The great ones are competitors and competitors can't flip a switch immediately after a devastating loss and act like it didn't matter.
Being a good sportsman is playing fair, respecting the game and giving credit after to an opponent. Manning did all those things Sunday. In his postgame press conference he said of his quick exit:
"I certainly know how it was three years ago when we won. There's not much consolation for the guys who didn't win. There's the stage being set up and the celebration. It's time for the Saints to celebrate. It's their field."
That's probably a tad disingenuous, but no more than it would have been if Peyton had walked over to congratulate Drew Brees.
For the record, Peyton did call Brees later in the night. Said the Saints quarterback: "Peyton's a class guy." If the man who was supposedly snubbed thinks so, that's enough for me.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Peyton-Manning-storms-off-Super-Bowl-field-Is-h?urn=nfl,218314

Comments

• fightforolddc
    fightforolddc Members Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's not be like them.
  • Doppel_Ganger
    Doppel_Ganger Members Posts: 400 ✭✭✭
    Cam is a ? sore loser who couldn't take defeat but he is the future and he will be back. More mature too
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GTFOH W/ dis BS
  • fightforolddc
    This is white protection:

But will anyone call him a "thug"?
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Manning is a coward, no fire in the belly he got carried literally to his 2 championships
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not saying they should behave that way after a loss but I understand
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, Peyton is an All-American golden boy too, and just like Brady, he's got an ? streak in him.

For some random reason, I came across the story about Peyton's "sexual" assault way back when he was in Tennessee. I never even knew about it, and I lived in TN. Dude was a straight up fool back then.

But if Vick were to have done that? ? , no one even remembers (or even knows/cares) what Big Ben did. But the fact that Kobe gets a pass makes me doubt that race is the only factor.
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kobe got a pass because they found 17 different ? babies on her panties. It wasn't ? , just adultery. He just paid her off to save on court cost and time. Time is money.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plutarch wrote: »
    Yeah, Peyton is an All-American golden boy too, and just like Brady, he's got an ? streak in him.

For some random reason, I came across the story about Peyton's "sexual" assault way back when he was in Tennessee. I never even knew about it, and I lived in TN. Dude was a straight up fool back then.

But if Vick were to have done that? ? , no one even remembers (or even knows/cares) what Big Ben did. But the fact that Kobe gets a pass makes me doubt that race is the only factor.

Kobe took that ? to court and won....
  • Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

ima need you to give me an example of peyton being an ? dont be that guy who lump people up just for the sake of it
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

His "sexual assault"??? All he did was moon somebody if I remember right.
  • killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rampage12 wrote: »

His "sexual assault"??? All he did was moon somebody if I remember right.

Nah he put his nuts on her head... The mooning thing was something he made up which was later determined not to be true.
  • fightforolddc
    Peyton gon catch that work, now. Media on the case ....
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean who cares at this point...you want to punish a 38 year old man for some ? that happened when he was 20

Idc either way but it's stupid, media just being media
  • Shizlansky
    It's no proof he used HGH.

The media outle retracted that story. And the NFL ain't big enough to silence them. They not an American brand.

Y'all wanna be white so bad.

I said it once and I'll say it again.

Don't worry about white ppl and what they think unless you wanna be like them (I.E. Officer Chang)

Let's not be like them.
  • Shizlansky
    Why would the media cover up that 20 years ago? That's a headline in college not the NFL.

You wanna know why. Because ppl don't care about that ? .

You new ? care about ? like that.

I've grabbed a bunch of ? ? with out permission

I've put my ? on a countless number of hoes ? while they were dancing and they got made. Just like the rest of y'all did.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was 20 years ago and it's not even that big of a deal in context

He was a kid and did some ? ? ...the end
  • Already Home_17
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Why would the media cover up that 20 years ago? That's a headline in college not the NFL.

I've put my ? on a countless number of hoes ? while they were dancing and they got made. Just like the rest of y'all did.

its been discussed, even on this forum
    peyton talked about it in his book 13 years ago, which lead to him being sued for defamation

pressing your ? against a girls ass while dancing isnt the same ass ? your trainer, lying about it saying you was mooning a player and slipped off the trainer's table (which said player denied and conveniently lost his scholarship), then years later ? on the woman in your book while insinuating she was smutted out by all the black athletes at your college

thats some foul ?
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky wrote: »

its been discussed, even on this forum
    peyton talked about it in his book 13 years ago, which lead to him being sued for defamation

pressing your ? against a girls ass while dancing isnt the same ass ? your trainer, lying about it saying you was mooning a player and slipped off the trainer's table (which said player denied and conveniently lost his scholarship), then years later ? on the woman in your book while insinuating she was smutted out by all the black athletes at your college

thats some foul ?

Do you really care though?
  • Shizlansky
    Y'all really acting like star athletes don't get special treatment.

Cam stole a laptop and didn't get the charge he was suppose to get.

Sometimes you don't have to be a star to get special treatment.

D. Stallworth killed a dude with his car and only got 30 days in jail.
  • Already Home_17
    edited February 2016
    obama-reaction-face-gif.gif

why are you so concerned with what others care about?

you don't care about the story but you care that others care?

you have a problem with ? simply pointing out foul behavior?
  • fightforolddc
    As I said Peyton gon eat all that ? now. Seen them writing about it on ESPN, New York Times and ? . In about 3 months his name will be drugged through the mud so far you won't even remember it was a time that he was the golden boy.

And I'm glad. ? peyton manning privileged ass
  • Shizlansky
    obama-reaction-face-gif.gif

why are you so concerned with what others care about?

you don't care about the story but you care that others care?

you have a problem with ? simply pointing out foul behavior?

No. You care what others think.

I've been around sports and ? that made it to the league to know they get special treatment, especially if they were stars.

Y'all talking bout some ? that happen 20 years ago. Media wasn't a big as it is now.

The Cam newton ? at Florida didn't even get that much attention. The ? at AU with Cam got more attention but faded quick.

i remember Faulk and LT talking bout the things they did in school. They wouldn't have a job on the NFL network.

Star players and rich professionals get special treatment. We all know this.

Mike Tyson admitted to knocking out old ppl and taking their things.

Greg Hardy beat his ? and played football the next year.

Y'all want ppl to get fired or ? over for every little thing.