A Naked And Unarmed Black 17yo Was Killed Yesterday By An Austin,Tx Pig.. SMDH...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in For The Grown & Sexy
http://www.kvue.com/story/news/crime/2016/02/09/sources-suspect-police-involved-shooting-not-armed/80053072/
17-year-old killed in police-involved shooting identified

AUSTIN -- Austin Police identified the person shot and killed during a police-involved shooting Monday as 17-year-old David Joseph.

The name was released during a noon press conference held at Austin Police Headquarters.

According to police, the initial call that brought police to the shooting scene was of a disturbance at an apartment complex on the 300 block of Yager Lane. Police said the caller described an African-American man chasing another man through the apartment complex.

Austin Police Officer Jeffrey Freeman was assigned to the area and responded to the call. Police said he initially didn’t find a suspect but stayed in the neighborhood. According to Austin Police, Officer Freeman eventually found and yelled out orders at Joseph.

Police Chief of Staff Brian Manley said in a matter of seconds from the orders being yelled out, Joseph allegedly charged at Officer Freeman. At that point, police said Officer Freeman shot Joseph who later died at the hospital from his injuries.

Police said there are concurrent investigations, one internal and one criminal, looking into the shooting. Officer Freeman has been with the Austin Police Department for ten-and-a-half years.

According to Chief of Staff Manley, investigators took an initial verbal statement from Freeman at the scene and the officer will be brought in later this week for a formal interview.

Police declined to discuss whether or not Joseph had a criminal record and called the shooting a “tragic event.”

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/crime-law/sources-man-killed-by-austin-police-monday-was-una/nqMLz/
A man fatally shot Monday by an Austin police sergeant was not armed at the time of the incident, three sources told the American-Statesman and KVUE-TV today.

Officials had said at the scene that they did not know whether the man, who was naked at the time, had a weapon when he was shot in North Austin.

However, the sources, who were not authorized to speak because of the ongoing investigation, said investigators have since confirmed the unidentified man did not have a weapon.

The revelation intensified questions about the officer’s decision to shoot. Austin police have called a noon news conference at Austin police headquarters to discuss the shooting.

The sources said a key issue in the case likely will be the distance between the officer and the man and whether or not the officer can demonstrate that he was in immediate danger.

Most officers in the department also carry stun guns.

The shooting happened about 10:30 a.m. Monday in the 12000 block of Natures Bend in a small neighborhood south of Tech Ridge Boulevard near Yager Lane. Several residents had called police and said that a man was running around the neighborhood and acting erratically.

Both the suspect and officer in the incident are black. Nelson Linder, president of the Austin NAACP, said the incident highlights the need for police to review how they handle similar situations in the future.

“Once again it is very clear that this policy of response to resistance is not being enforced,” Linder said. “They need to rethink this whole approach, especially if there might be mental illness issues.”

Meanwhile, Jim Harrington, the longtime director and founder of the Texas Civil Rights Project who is retiring, condemned the incident in a statement Tuesday.

“It is almost incomprehensible that a young naked man would be considered dangerous such that a police officer would ? him,” he said. The social advocacy group has called for “a full, fair, and open investigation” of the shooting.

“This is the pattern that led to the U.S. Department of Justice investigation a few years back, and it appears that the pattern of police shootings continues,” Harrington said. “We intend to pursue this matter with the Department of Justice once more.”

This killing by this cowardly "black" cop.. Once again disproves the notion held by some black folks in are community.. That if we had more "black" cops "policing" are neighborhoods everything would be alright.. Those "black" cops are no better then any other pigs.. And many cases they act worse in order to fit into the blue klux ? police department...

Comments

• Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    I seen this on the news yesterday, but I didn't warch it all the way through. Damn.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The cop was black... unbelievable
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trillfate wrote: »
    The cop was black... unbelievable

A cop is a ? cop. Real ? been telling u ? ? . Its the system. Blk ppl need to create they're own parallel society with it's own blk police force.

? wanna continue to suck white ? so eat lead.
    It sounds harsh, but that's the reality of expecting our oppressors to do right by us
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know, i know...
  • MsSouthern
    MsSouthern Members, Moderators Posts: 21,791 Regulator
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Saw this yesterday and it makes me sick

Naked and unarmed .....what the ? is wrong with that cop ?????

I can't stand APD and stupid ass Chief Acevedo . Spending all this time and money on trying to find someone throwing rocks into car Windows off 35 ....Meanwhile we have untrained officers killing people. I can't even watch the press conference cause I know he is full of ?

This is tragic and I feel so sorry for his family and friends who have to hear and most likely accept this young man was murdered and nothing will happen to the officer

• Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    MsSouthern wrote: »

I can't stand APD and stupid ass Chief Acevedo . Spending all this time and money on trying to find someone throwing rocks into car Windows off 35 ....Meanwhile we have untrained officers killing people. I can't even watch the press conference cause I know he is full of ?

This is tragic and I feel so sorry for his family and friends who have to hear and most likely accept this young man was murdered and nothing will happen to the officer

You should read the Facebook comments on this story
  • MsSouthern
    Options

I have

And it's disgusting

People have already labeled him as a criminal and saying he shouldn't have ran at the cop . He was a drug addict ....etc

My son did not know him personally but they had mutual friends

I just got through talking to a few of his friends about even when the police are wrong you have to listen . Risk being shot and killed if you don't .

It's just horrible .... Breaks my heart for his mom. I can't even imagine

• Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D0wn wrote: »
    A cop is a ? cop. Real ? been telling u ? ? . Its the system. Blk ppl need to create they're own parallel society with it's own blk police force.

yeah ok

and i'm sure these new cops won't know ways around the law or cover for each other right
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have

And it's disgusting

People have already labeled him as a criminal and saying he shouldn't have ran at the cop . He was a drug addict ....etc

I just got through talking to a few of his friends about even when the police are wrong you have to listen . Risk being shot and killed if you don't .

Smfh
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have

And it's disgusting

Can't agree with that at all.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    17-year-old killed in police-involved shooting identified. Peep the trickknowledge though.

A man fatally shot Monday by an Austin police sergeant was not armed at the time of the incident, three sources told the American-Statesman and KVUE-TV today.

Officials had said at the scene that they did not know whether the man, who was naked at the time, had a weapon when he was shot in North Austin.

However, the sources, who were not authorized to speak because of the ongoing investigation, said investigators have since confirmed the unidentified man did not have a weapon.

The revelation intensified questions about the officer’s decision to shoot. Austin police have called a noon news conference at Austin police headquarters to discuss the shooting.

The sources said a key issue in the case likely will be the distance between the officer and the man and whether or not the officer can demonstrate that he was in immediate danger.

• MsSouthern
    Options
    You don't have to agree with me but it's a reality

And it's a horrible reality

• D. Morgan
    Options
    You don't have to agree with me but it's a reality

And it's a horrible reality

People get shot when they comply as well.

I really don't feel you should be telling other peoples kids how to act around the police. Cause what you just said could go completely against what some of those kids are being told by their parents.

We all have our approaches and beliefs in what we tell our kids in how they should handle certain situations. Its just for this one I disagree with what you told them.
  • MsSouthern
    Options
    I never said the parents weren't there

We have a tight friends group ... It was 2 friends ... Brothers ... And their mom was here too.

And yes even when you comply you can end up shot .... Which was my whole point of the convo
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    I never said the parents weren't there

We have a tight friends group ... It was 2 friends ... Brothers ... And their mom was here too.

And yes even when you comply you can end up shot .... Which was my whole point of the convo

I never said anything about the parent being or not being there.

Tight group of friends or not just how I feel. I wouldn't want another parent telling my kids how to deal with the police. That's not for you to do IMO.
  • MsSouthern
    Options
    Well she agreed with me so I'm not sure why you have issues with me talking too
  • D. Morgan
    Options
    Well she agreed with me so I'm not sure why you have issues with me talking too

I'm just of the opinion that I wouldn't want another parent talking to MY kids about how they should deal with the police.

Your friend was cool with that good for yall. Just expressing my opinion on something you did. Nothing more nothing less

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.