THE FACE OF JESUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CHRISTIANS, LETS TALK ABOUT IT

Options

Comments

• zzombie
    zzombie Members Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bodhi wrote: »
    Ha. Yeah okay. Well look, it happens. People keep their parents' religions most of the time. And often it's because they don't care enough or aren't much interested to research anything else.
    You can scream and kick and cover your eyes all you want. We could ask other posters on what they've experienced and I'd safely assume their observations are similar to mine. If you have nothing else to say at this point let's just drop it. It's not as serious as it seems.

Something tells me that the posters on this forum are far from typical. People may tend to keep their parents religion but the causes you give for this are what don't really make sense and cannot really be proven. But I'll drop it if you want.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You don't have to drop it if you've got something else to say other than
    "I'M NOT BELIEVING IT!!! NOOOOOOO!!!!111 GLGJALHRULABFAUOUHFOAJ"
    I got better things to do than repeat myself.

Despite the many societal changes that have lurched us towards greater individualism and away from a more collective family focus, over half of young adult children are following in their parents' footsteps, in that they are affiliated with the parents' religious tradition. (To a lesser extent, their religious practices and beliefs also align with those of their parents).
    http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2013/august-web-only/religion-runs-in-family.html?paging=off
  • Bodhi
    Options
    The thing is this:
    If you were raised in a majority Christian nation, you'll most likely be Christian,
    If you were raised in a Muslim nation, you'll most likely be Muslim
    If you were raised in a Buddhist nation, you'll most likely be Buddhist.

It is what it is.
    Besides, this isn't even the main point.
    You fight tooth and nail to disagree with everything somebody says.
    It's not that difficult to understand.
    If you can provide evidence supporting the contrary, go ahead. I'll wait.
  • zzombie
    Options

Despite the many societal changes that have lurched us towards greater individualism and away from a more collective family focus, over half of young adult children are following in their parents' footsteps, in that they are affiliated with the parents' religious tradition. (To a lesser extent, their religious practices and beliefs also align with those of their parents).
    http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2013/august-web-only/religion-runs-in-family.html?paging=off

I'm not believing it because you haven't proven anything the article you posted proves nothing. It's not people following there parents I am disputing. It the reasons you give for them following that I am disputing
  • zzombie
    Options
    The thing is this:
    If you were raised in a majority Christian nation, you'll most likely be Christian,
    If you were raised in a Muslim nation, you'll most likely be Muslim
    If you were raised in a Buddhist nation, you'll most likely be Buddhist.

It is what it is.
    Besides, this isn't even the main point.
    You fight tooth and nail to disagree with everything somebody says.
    It's not that difficult to understand.
    If you can provide evidence supporting the contrary, go ahead. I'll wait.

There are many people in Christian majority nations that convert to other religions or become atheists. There existence is enough evidence that believers aren't just brainwashed.

Now Muslim nations are different because conversation means death. I don't just disagree to disagree I disagree for very good reasons.

I am defensive of my positions because basically it always me against 4-5 different posters.
  • Bodhi
    Options
    zzombie wrote: »

I'm not believing it because you haven't proven anything the article you posted proves nothing. It's not people following there parents I am disputing. It the reasons you give for them following that I am disputing

You keep getting caught up in the word "brainwashing".
    I never said brainwashing.
  • zzombie
    edited March 2016
    Options

Semantics And hair splitting
  • Bodhi
    Options
    There are many people in Christian majority nations that convert to other religions or become atheists. There existence is enough evidence that believers aren't just brainwashed.

Of course there is!
    I'm an example myself. But as I've said, and backed up,
    I'm a minority. This is a majority Christian nation! Why?!
    Because most people were raised Christian, like myself,
    But unlike me, they remained Christian.
    Now Muslim nations are different because conversation means death. I don't just disagree to disagree I disagree for very good reasons

Then you can look at a place like Thailand
    Which is 90% Buddhist. Why?!?!?!?!?!
    Because most of them were raised to be! It's not brainwashing.
    Again, I never said that.

I am defensive of my positions because basically it always me against 4-5 different posters.

You're so defensive because you refuse to be proven wrong.
    That's why we're here in the first place.
  • Bodhi
    edited March 2016
    Options

Different words have different definitions.
    You have to properly define your terms before you
    Understand what you're talking about.
    Maybe that's your problem.

PROGRAM: Cause (a person or animal) to behave in a predetermined way
    BRAINWASH: Make (someone) adopt radically different beliefs by using systematic and often forcible pressure.

When you raise your kids in the church
    And teach them what you feel they should know and do,
    You're programming them.

In some instances, it can be defined as brainwashing but that's a little extreme
    And (arguably --- but we're not going there)
    Most people aren't brainwashed by their parents, at least by definition.

You're programmed by your society as well.
    It's called culture. Americans behave differently than other people around the world
    Because of cultural differences.
    Our society caused us to behave this way. Again, look at the definitions.

Let's be intellectually honest here and stop dicking around.
    Either you understand or you don't.
    After this, if you have nothing intelligent to say, don't bother replying.
    You are free, however, to have the last word if you wish.
  • zzombie
    Options

Of course there is!
    I'm an example myself. But as I've said, and backed up,
    I'm a minority. This is a majority Christian nation! Why?!
    Because most people were raised Christian, like myself,
    But unlike me, they remained Christian.
    Now Muslim nations are different because conversation means death. I don't just disagree to disagree I disagree for very good reasons

Then you can look at a place like Thailand
    Which is 90% Buddhist. Why?!?!?!?!?!
    Because most of them were raised to be! It's not brainwashing.
    Again, I never said that.

You're so defensive because you refuse to be proven wrong.
    That's why we're here in the first place.

You don't have any proof that this is a majority Christian nation because of how people were raised. You are making the assumption that adults cannot think for themselves and will continue their parents beliefs. You didn't say brainwashing but you used the word programmed which in context is the Same as saying brainwashed.

No I am defensive because I and my religion are always under attack.
  • Bodhi
    edited March 2016
    Options

You don't have any proof that this is a majority Christian nation because of how people were raised. You are making the assumption that adults cannot think for themselves and will continue their parents beliefs.

• zzombie
    Options

Different words have different definitions.
    You have to properly define your terms before you
    Understand what you're talking about.
    Maybe that's your problem.

PROGRAM: Cause (a person or animal) to behave in a predetermined way
    BRAINWASH: make (someone) adopt radically different beliefs by using systematic and often forcible pressure.

When you raise your kids in the church
    And teach them what you feel they should know and do,
    You're programming them.

In some instances, it can be defined as brainwashing but that's a little extreme
    And (arguably --- but we're not going there)
    Most people aren't brainwashed by their parents, at least by definition.

You're programmed by your society as well.
    It's called culture. Americans behave differently than other people around the world
    Because of cultural differences.
    Our society caused us to behave this way. Again, look at the definitions.

Let's be intellectually honest here and stop dicking around.
    Either you understand or you don't.
    After this, if you have nothing intelligent to say, don't bother replying.
    You are free, however, to have the last word if you wish.

you are Hair splitting nothing more. Words can mean the same thing and get across the same message/idea depending on how you use them and the context

You are the being intellectually dishonest And lying as you often do
  • Bodhi
    Options
  • zzombie
    Options

You don't have any proof that this is a majority Christian nation because of how people were raised. You are making the assumption that adults cannot think for themselves and will continue their parents beliefs.

The article is wrong just like you are because it's making conclusions it cannot prove.

The question is why???? I acknowledge people follow their parents however the reason why this is so that you gave are faulty.

Because you assume that people are brainwashed/programed.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Oh and @kingblaze84 wanted to know where the ? of Abraham is today. My answer was basically all over the world with billions of followers. But I didn't say that to prove his existence

That's a little contradictory though, the ? of Abraham is still nowhere to be found on Earth. And according to the Koran, people who worship Jesus as ? are condemned to spend eternity in hell, so in some ways the Bible ? is very different then the Islamic one.

How can the same ? give such different rules on worship? Doesn't add up.

Christians Jew muslims all believe that they are worshipping the ? of Abraham. Jews don't worship the ? of the new testament, Christians don't worship the ? of Islam but each group believes they are worshipping the ? of Abraham. So all three are part of the Abrahamic religion because we all claim the same spiritual ancestor

Finding ? the way you want to is impossible ? is not a lost pair of socks. And from my perspective you don't "find" ? you experience him and if you don't have the spiritual senses it's going to be very hard for you.

All three being part of the Abrahamic family means almost nothing these days though. The differences between the religions are so huge that Zionists and Muslims have a horrible relationship, and Christians obviously are not treated well in the Middle East these days. I admit it wasn't always like this, but the differences in those three religions have helped cause immense conflict and problems around the world.

And 70% of the world doesn't experience the Bible ? , so I guess I'm far from alone in not being able to experience it.

• Bodhi
    Options
  • zzombie
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Oh and @kingblaze84 wanted to know where the ? of Abraham is today. My answer was basically all over the world with billions of followers. But I didn't say that to prove his existence

That's a little contradictory though, the ? of Abraham is still nowhere to be found on Earth. And according to the Koran, people who worship Jesus as ? are condemned to spend eternity in hell, so in some ways the Bible ? is very different then the Islamic one.

Christians Jew muslims all believe that they are worshipping the ? of Abraham. Jews don't worship the ? of the new testament, Christians don't worship the ? of Islam but each group believes they are worshipping the ? of Abraham. So all three are part of the Abrahamic religion because we all claim the same spiritual ancestor

Finding ? the way you want to is impossible ? is not a lost pair of socks. And from my perspective you don't "find" ? you experience him and if you don't have the spiritual senses it's going to be very hard for you.

All three being part of the Abrahamic family means almost nothing these days though. The differences between the religions are so huge that Zionists and Muslims have a horrible relationship, and Christians obviously are not treated well in the Middle East these days. I admit it wasn't always like this, but the differences in those three religions have helped cause immense conflict and problems around the world.

And 70% of the world doesn't experience the Bible ? , so I guess I'm far from alone in being able to experience it.

But 70% of the world do believe they are experiencing or can experience the ? of Abraham. So you see that ? still receives the devotion of almost our entire species.

And the beefs between Christians and Muslims are irrelevant to that fact because no matter what each group believes they worship the ? of Abraham
  • kingblaze84
    Options

And 70% of the world doesn't experience the Bible ? , so I guess I'm far from alone in being able to experience it.

But 70% of the world do believe they are experiencing or can experience the ? of Abraham. So you see that ? still receives the devotion of almost our entire species.

And the beefs between Christians and Muslims are irrelevant to that fact because no matter what each group believes they worship the ? of Abraham

Once again, 55% of the world is Jewish, Muslim or Christian, not 70%.

And even if they believe they worship the same Abrahamic ? , the differences are so severe that Muslims proclaim Jesus worshippers will enter hell, and Christians say that even Jews and Muslims will enter hell. So there is no real unity between Jews, Muslims and Christians. Christians are hunted like dogs in many parts of the Middle East, that's very telling.
  • zzombie
    edited March 2016
    Options

And even if they believe they worship the same Abrahamic ? , the differences are so severe that Muslims proclaim Jesus worshippers will enter hell, and Christians say that even Jews and Muslims will enter hell. So there is no real unity between Jews, Muslims and Christians. Christians are hunted like dogs in many parts of the Middle East, that's very telling.

We can dispute the % but it's really impossible to know 100% but I believe the number is way more than 55% I mean literally all of south and north America is majority christian and all of Africa is either Christian or Muslim then there's all of the middle east and there are still Christians in eastern Europe and Russia.

The differences are irrevelent to the fact that all these billions of people believe they are praying to the ? of Abraham. Christians Jew muslim have all ways fought with each other.

The important thing is that each group thinks they are right therefore the ? of Abraham is still alive. And we are still talking about him and Abraham thousands of years after Abraham died. the religions he inspired still have real worldwide influence on politics society and economics meanwhile gods like Baal, asteroth Zeus and Thor have just about no influence on the world in anyway that counts.

Which goes back to me saying the other gods are dead.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My family is mostly composed of Christians, but I don't subscribed to the beliefs after my own investigation and studies of it. I don't know what gene that you are talking about though, you have come to the conclusions that man needs religion and I come to the conclusion that religion is a cultural phenomenon when we elevate our culture and give it a universal, naturist or nationhood viewpoint. I'm not trying to push people to see my viewpoint if that is not the topic of discussion. But I do come at when you have a very skewed point of history and a lack of understanding and you are going after the people.

Like DOUWANT2GOTOHEAVEN or something like that, but he is a very psuedo christian and isn't really knowledgeable and likes to use that he is living in Israel gives him some capability to produce information without research. @The_Jackal is the most knowledgeable Christian on here and has lots of knowledge in many different fields of study. I respect him a lot. @zzombie understands a lot of philosophies and religions so I definitely listen to him as well and fact check him, he stands pretty strong.

I also see that most Atheists on here are psuedo except a few who have a lot of knowledge, but most don't know how to do proper refined research. Some of them get any ol'e website that supports their claims, that's now how you do research and prove your claims. The most you can do to a religion is study it's philosophical claims and it's religious text, but some people treat it as a biology, chemistry, historical textbook. It's not. It's an suppose inspired text, on their experience and cultural experience of their deity. They could well and dandy have experienced the force of the creator, but it still didn't give them advance technological information, high levels of medical capabilities and etc. It just didn't so when @The_Jackal corrected you to see the bible as it was meant to be read @kingblaze84 you should have fact checked him and went to that discussion. Cause the common bible believer of today believes everything should be taken literal when multiple christians except for a few have told you it was never meant to be taken as completely literal then you should have done the research. It has reality to it as well, I can talk about how the Hebrew people original homeland around the caucus regions and going to Sumeria then leaving and going over the Euphrates river hence the world Hebrew means to cross over and going into Canaan and then to Egypt and back to Canaan establishing an nation. The mythos is what happened in between, but we can see they were not wrong about their migration from studying, but how certain events took place and how they happened is much different, but migration happened.

For example they found the tablets of Jews in Babylon that are dated at that time. It's their day to day living and gives us a picture of what truly happened.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-israel-archaeology-babylon-idUSKBN0L71EK20150203

Scholarship is about being humble and realizing you don't know everything and constantly refining your scholarship and knowing what data is there to take and what not to take as relevant to understanding what you are studying.
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eh wouldn't say alot just a history major and have a complete love of philosophy. Suck when it comes to science and math lol lucky that topic nonexistent on here.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    Eh wouldn't say alot just a history major and have a complete love of philosophy. Suck when it comes to science and math lol lucky that topic nonexistent on here.

Hey that's being honest man. That is real humble right there and a lot of cats, I don't care what belief system or lack of, what philosophy and etc we all need to be humble. Just ask for the references and information and study what they have proposed and once you have done that, if you have any issues then bring it up on the next discussion.
  • kingblaze84
    edited March 2016
    Options

We can dispute the % but it's really impossible to know 100% but I believe the number is way more than 55% I mean literally all of south and north America is majority christian and all of Africa is either Christian or Muslim then there's all of the middle east and there are still Christians in eastern Europe and Russia.

The differences are irrevelent to the fact that all these billions of people believe they are praying to the ? of Abraham. Christians Jew muslim have all ways fought with each other.

The important thing is that each group thinks they are right therefore the ? of Abraham is still alive. And we are still talking about him and Abraham thousands of years after Abraham died. the religions he inspired still have real worldwide influence on politics society and economics meanwhile gods like Baal, asteroth Zeus and Thor have just about no influence on the world in anyway that counts.

55% seems about right, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's even lower then that. A lot of people say they are Christian but they barely act like one. I won't even get into the stories I can tell.

And while I respect people's right to worship whatever ? they want, you still can't really prove the ? of Abraham is "alive", it hasn't even united Muslims, Jews, and Christians to play nice with each other. The birthplace of the Abrahamic religions is among the most violent and hate filled places in the world, hmmm I wonder why that is. And by the way, your ? didn't ? the Hindu and African gods that are still being worshipped by more then a billion people, there are plenty of other gods that are alive too then, if that's the way you want to put it. The Buddha himself is worshipped as a ? by millions, so your ? hasn't killed all other "gods". Plenty of them are still being worshipped out there, and about a billion don't worship any.
  • zzombie
    edited March 2016
    Options

55% seems about right, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's even lower then that. A lot of people say they are Christian but they barely act like one. I won't even get into the stories I can tell.

And while I respect people's right to worship whatever ? they want, you still can't really prove the ? of Abraham is "alive", it hasn't even united Muslims, Jews, and Christians to play nice with each other. The birthplace of the Abrahamic religions is among the most violent and hate filled places in the world, hmmm I wonder why that is. And by the way, your ? didn't ? the Hindu and African gods that are still being worshipped by more then a billion people, there are plenty of other gods that are alive too then, if that's the way you want to put it. The Buddha himself is worshipped as a ? by millions, so your ? hasn't killed all other "gods". Plenty of them are still being worshipped out there, and about a billion don't worship any.

I think now you are being purposely obtuse i was not trying to prove to you that this ? is "alive" as in proof that ? exists. It's alive as in being one of the only gods that the masses of people believe in therefore faith in this ? has real effect on the world whereas the ? asterosh has none. Most of the other gods are dead because they don't have much influence on the world, i am not saying that they have absolutely no worshippers. Traditional African religion is dying in Africa in 50 years Africa wil have the biggest Christian population on earth, Hinduism is still strong but it's basically limited to india/ indian people. What do you mean by acting like a Christian???? to be a christian in it's simplest form all you have to do is believe in christ and his words not necessarily follow everything Christ did in perfection but doing so would of course make you a "good Christian" not a "bad Christian",

if you would actually pay attention and read the thread and what i say you would understand me and would not be asking me these redundant questions AND IF YOU think A BILLION PEOPLE ARE ATHEIST YOU ARE LIVING IN A FANTASY LAND.

FROM my perspective it is exactly because ? chose to create his religion in the middle east that causes the place to always be violent and evil. Any plan ? has, the forces of evil will always try to corrupt/interrupt or ? up by influencing man to disobey. so if ? shows his face strongest in one area of course the evil ones will try to destroy that area.
  • kingblaze84
    edited March 2016
    Options

I think now you are being purposely obtuse i was not trying to prove to you that this ? is "alive" as in proof that ? exists. It's alive as in being one of the only gods that the masses of people believe in therefore faith in this ? has real effect on the world whereas the ? asterosh has none. Most of the other gods are dead because they don't have much influence on the world, i am not saying that they have absolutely no worshippers. Traditional African religion is dying in Africa in 50 years Africa wil have the biggest Christian population on earth, Hinduism is still strong but it's basically limited to india/ indian people. What do you mean by acting like a Christian???? to be a christian in it's simplest form all you have to do is believe in christ and his words not necessarily follow everything Christ did in perfection but doing so would of course make you a "good Christian" not a "bad Christian",

if you would actually pay attention and read the thread and what i say you would understand me and would not be asking me these redundant questions AND IF YOU A BILLION PEOPLE ARE ATHEIST YOU ARE LIVING IN A FANTASY LAND.

FROM my perspective it is exactly because ? chose to create his religion in the middle east that causes the place to always be violent and evil. Any plan ? has, the forces of evil will always try to corrupt/interrupt or ? up by influencing man to disobey. so if ? shows his face strongest in one area of course the evil ones will try to destroy that area.

So in places where the Abrahamic ? sticks his head in, massive violence and evil follows. Wow, you just made a great argument for secularism right now. Thanks. It's good to know wherever the Abrahamic ? shows itself or reveals a new religion, massive chaos follows. It doesn't seem like the Abrahamic ? has a good handle of things, more proof it's not a real ? . But enjoy your beliefs.