Top 5
8%
[Deleted User]bornagkn33usAwardTour 3 votes
Top 10
11%
vageneral08Vader_F_KennedyRickyRichThatPigskinGuy007 4 votes
Top 15
29%
willhustlepowerman 5000Cymicaldaneillestni99ainneIdiopathic Jokerits....JOHN BStoneColdMikeyMister B.TheBoyRoKnowReasonForPeace 10 votes
Top 15 +
47%
rap mysteriosmittysmithf.e.d.s.eternal soldier5th Letter  Colin$mackabi$hjonoBroddiewaterproofPanchoYoSanchoAlready Home_17gdatruth2.0lookdudegenocidecutterSuperSoakerBangEm_Bart 16 votes

Comments

• willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Top 15
    I'm not sure where I would place HHH on a list. It's a lot of different things about his career that just makes me wonder. I can't put him in my Top 10 because there were guys who I clearly think were much better than him in-ring and in personality during his prime and past legends. HHH played a bunch of politics (w/his buddy HBK) to get to the top of the ladder in WWE. Even then, he had to wait for his run to carry the company because Austin & Rock was on fire during the Attitude Era and wasn't nobody topping those 2 in their prime. HHH was like the third wheel behind them until they left the company.

When they finally gave HHH his time starting in the fall '02 during the brand extension he made Raw interesting but overall SmackDown had the better shows during that '03-05 span HHH was running Raw. I do have a big issue with creative just handing him a World Title, having him beat a prime RVD & Kane in late 2002. In '03 he just ran over the entire roster while champ with Evolution & his whole treatment of Booker T during RTWM. I'll give him credit for putting Orton & Batista along with Ric Flair and eventually grooming them to be future World Champions.

I think HHH is one of the Top 2-3 heels of all time but I don't like some of the ways he got ahead in his career to squash other guys who had potential to be put on the same level as he was. Idk who politic worse to keep their career on top Hogan or HHH. I say HHH is a Top 15 guy.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Top 15 +
    HHH is a bigger star and a bigger draw than all of those guys, I might not like that he won considering the context of some of the stories but as a flag bearer he was a much better choice.

HHH is a great in-ring storyteller, mat technician and brawler. He's a jack of all trades and certainly a top 5-10 heel all-time.

All the personal animus aimed at him is irrelevant because his politicking wouldn't work without the figures and talent to back it up.

I honestly stopped watching because of his reign of terror because I was being immature about the state of the brand, no one else could have done as good a job as HHH.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Bret
    Taker
    Shawn
    Savage
    Rock
    Austin
    Kurt
    Flair
    Eddie
    Benoit

all better than Hunter so he doesnt make my top 10
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    willhustle wrote: »
    I'm not sure where I would place HHH on a list. It's a lot of different things about his career that just makes me wonder. I can't put him in my Top 10 because there were guys who I clearly think were much better than him in-ring and in personality during his prime and past legends. HHH played a bunch of politics (w/his buddy HBK) to get to the top of the ladder in WWE. Even then, he had to wait for his run to carry the company because Austin & Rock was on fire during the Attitude Era and wasn't nobody topping those 2 in their prime. HHH was like the third wheel behind them until they left the company.

When they finally gave HHH his time starting in the fall '02 during the brand extension he made Raw interesting but overall SmackDown had the better shows during that '03-05 span HHH was running Raw. I do have a big issue with creative just handing him a World Title, having him beat a prime RVD & Kane in late 2002. In '03 he just ran over the entire roster while champ with Evolution & his whole treatment of Booker T during RTWM. I'll give him credit for putting Orton & Batista along with Ric Flair and eventually grooming them to be future World Champions.

I think HHH is one of the Top 2-3 heels of all time but I don't like some of the ways he got ahead in his career to squash other guys who had potential to be put on the same level as he was. Idk who politic worse to keep their career on top Hogan or HHH. I say HHH is a Top 15 guy.

This pretty much my thoughts but I'd say top 25-30

I never viewed him as THE guy even when rock and Austin left and Foley helped add credibility. I think u can argue cats like punk, db, rvd, angle, Jericho, edge as better wrestlers easily and possibly just as much of a draw if not more than hhh. Hhh raw take over helped lead to smackdown becoming the a show in many ways. The b+ storyline against db was so ironic cuz that's exactly what hhh is imo.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    On the other hand, he got it all the way right with Batista and almost well mostly did with Orton, also his time in 09 wasn't that bad although I think he could have lost the strap to hardy instead of involving edge
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Top 15 +
    I didn't see anything during Evolution's first run or his King of Kings phase. I was completely cold turkey during Ruthless Aggression.

But just off what he did from '96 to 2002 and from when I started watching again in 2012 to now I do think people still love to underrate him. They can't objectively recognize his greatness just cause they're aggy that he played the game like a true boss.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Top 15 +
    Top 20
  • jono
    Options
    Top 15 +
    willhustle wrote: »

This pretty much my thoughts but I'd say top 25-30

I never viewed him as THE guy even when rock and Austin left and Foley helped add credibility. I think u can argue cats like punk, db, rvd, angle, Jericho, edge as better wrestlers easily and possibly just as much of a draw if not more than hhh. Hhh raw take over helped lead to smackdown becoming the a show in many ways. The b+ storyline against db was so ironic cuz that's exactly what hhh is imo.

Lets not get ridiculous. Those guys are better athletes but HHH is inarguably a bigger star and draw. The only one that can compete in that department is Punk.

And Daniel Bryan is a B+ player, then again all those guys with the exception of Angle and maybe Jericho are B+ players. So at the very worst they are all on HHH level.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    edited February 2016
    Options
    How can we measure how hhh was a bigger star or draw, I think Kurt angle edge and db at least have legit arguments with Kurt main eventing many ppvs, edge being the face of a show and the yes chant of course. That's not even mentioning the mainstream attention(and I don't mean fozzy) Jericho gets. Rvd carried a company for years, but I'm sure since its ecw it'll get discounted
  • Cymicaldane
    Cymicaldane Members Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Top 15
    top 15 for sure. Anything over that and the line between him being a solid performer and the family he's married into giving him advantages gets murky.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Top 15 +
    He's alright he's a 3rd tier guy in my book.

He's not top tier Bruno, Andre, Hogan, Rock, Austin

He's not 2nd tier Savage, Bret, Shawn, Taker, Warrior, Sting, Harley Race, Flair etc.

He belongs in the group with Cena, Backlund, Bockwinkle, Edge, Angle etc. The WWE propaganda machine likes to make it seem as if he's on the level of Austin, but the fans know the deal.
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Top 15 +
    He sucks
  • Broddie
    Options
    Top 15 +
    He sucks

...Stephanie's ? .
  • vageneral08
    vageneral08 Members Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Top 10
    ? are gonna hate because of he's married into the family but he made some classic matches and his time as heel was good as hell
  • rap mysterio
    rap mysterio Members Posts: 171 ✭✭
    Options
    Top 15 +
    Prob around 30ish
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    Top 15
    He was always second place. HBK was the star in front of him, so was Austin, so was Rock.

In Evolution Orton and Batista grew to be the top guys from the group

He was never the man on a roster full of stars, only second place.

But you'd be crazy to deny how good he was in the ring.

Top 15
  • Broddie
    Options
    Top 15 +
    King of kings! ? what you heard.
  • jono
    Options
  • Nomad1
    Nomad1 Members Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    Options
    He's in my Top 100 but of the top I can think of 56 better wrestlers. Nothing really special about him except his politics. He uses the talent to stay relevant to get his career ratings higher. I mean for eg HBK stone cold Taker don't do that...they don't have to but he does. Those of u who think he is in top 10 clearly didn't know the impact of for eg Andre Piper Race Tully Bockwinkel etc He doesn't compare to them at all & will never so he has to piggyback great performers to be mentioned
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Top 15 +
    Nomad1 wrote: »
    He's in my Top 100 but of the top I can think of 56 better wrestlers. Nothing really special about him except his politics. He uses the talent to stay relevant to get his career ratings higher. I mean for eg HBK stone cold Taker don't do that...they don't have to but he does. Those of u who think he is in top 10 clearly didn't know the impact of for eg Andre Piper Race Tully Bockwinkel etc He doesn't compare to them at all & will never so he has to piggyback great performers to be mentioned

Let's not start telling fairy tales. Shawn buried plenty of people and Austin rarely had to put anyone over when he was at the top. HHH isnt on their level, and he's an ? politician, but he's a top 10 all time Heel. And DX and The McMahon-Helmsley era was some GOAT ? .
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Mid 99-01 HHh is probably my favorite wrestler of all time.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • gdatruth2.0
    gdatruth2.0 Members Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Top 15 +
    he doesnt
    he was the right guy at the right time who stuck around long enough and stayed relatively healthy to take advantage of the vacuums created when Stone Cold & the Rock left along with the family connect

he always played a distant 2nd to the likes of all time greats like Stone Cold, the Rock, HBK & Undertaker when they were at their peaks