Feds Arresting People For Delinquent Student Loans. o_O

Options
The Prime Minister
The Prime Minister Members Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2016 in The Social Lounge
3500.jpg?w=1225&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&s=d0859e79126f9459345f3ce59c56acbc

Seven US marshals armed with automatic weapons turned up at Paul Aker’s home in Houston, Texas, last week to arrest him over a $1,500 student loan debt dating back to 1987.

“It was totally mind-boggling,” Aker said. “I was wondering, why are you here? I am home, I haven’t done anything ... Why are the marshals knocking on my door? It’s amazing.”

Aker said he was arrested, shackled and taken to federal court. “I was told: ‘You owe $1,500.’ I just couldn’t believe it,” he told Fox 26. “I was taken before a judge surrounded by seven marshals.”

Texas representative Gene Green, a Democrat, said it was unacceptable that US marshals are being used to collect decades old student loans. “There’s bound to be a better way to collect on a student loan debt that is so old,” he told the station.

Aker is unlikely to be the only person to be surprised by marshals collecting on student loans. A source at the marshal’s office told Fox 26 that it is planning to serve warrants on 1,200 to 1,500 people over student loan debts.

theguardian.com/money/2016/feb/16/student-debt-protest-armed-marshals-arrest-man-loans

Comments

• Lord Ether
    Lord Ether Members Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Marshal law is coming.
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I got 9k in student loan debt... Merda they are going to after everyone no matter the debt
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Vote for Bernie
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Has to be more to this story than what was reported
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol, mom dukes just gives them $20 a month.
  • xxCivicxx
    xxCivicxx Members Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like I said before, most liberal arts colleges are scams and so are student loans

People are taking out ten's of thousand dollars in loans to get random degrees like Art History or Horticulture and now you're in lifetime debt cuz your degree never had the earning potential for you to be able to pay off your loans in the first place

The only people that should be in college are students pursuing hard science degrees. Most of those fields of work are recession-resistant
  • EmM HoLLa.
    EmM HoLLa. Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looks like a private company contracted out the feds to collect on that debt.. ? is nasty..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4j49vAZxfQ
  • Los216
    Los216 Members Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't have a degree but I will NEVER owe money for education. I would teach myself and my kids before I owe thousands of dollars for some validation. Never will I take out a loan for college.
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Has to be more to this story than what was reported

Always..
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am not an advocate of attending a 4 year college if the idea isn't to continue beyond that in the fields of Medicine, Law, Engineering, and Finance.
  • Los216
    Los216 Members Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    Los216 wrote: »
    I don't have a degree but I will NEVER owe money for education. I would teach myself and my kids before I owe thousands of dollars for some validation. Never will I take out a loan for college.

Being self taught is a good thing.. But going to college is a lot more than just validation.. There are plenty of positives to going to college..

You're right about that. The problem is going to college doesn't mean go at all cost. Go with what makes sense. I just don't see any career out there that's worth being tens of thousands in debt. In that situation you don't even have a career until your schooling is paid off. That's ass backwards.
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    But....but...... but you need a degree..........
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A year or 2 ago met a ? selling ticket packages for the wizards that was well over 100K in debt from college ? was stressing like ? . Graduated from St. Johns Univ. in New York.

Just cause you graduate with a degree in a lucrative field doesn't mean a person will find a job in that field. ? just not that easy.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    A year or 2 ago met a ? selling ticket packages for the wizards that was well over 100K in debt from college ? was stressing like ? . Graduated from St. Johns Univ. in New York.

Just cause you graduate with a degree in a lucrative field doesn't mean a person will find a job in that field. ? just not that easy.

That's my pops alma mater.

Be more specific though. I don't know any out of work, Drs, Lawyers, Accountants, or Engineers. If, they are out there, they are by choice.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im bout to get the death penalty
  • MECCA1000
    MECCA1000 Members Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The 1st dude only owed $1,500 ......since 1987 .....not even 2 racks and it's dayum near 30 yrs. ...wtf ....smh
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    D. Morgan wrote: »

That's my pops alma mater.

Be more specific though. I don't know any out of work, Drs, Lawyers, Accountants, or Engineers. If, they are out there, they are by choice.

Be more specific about what? If you mean about her. I don't remember what her degree was in cause I thought she was ? hell to get that far into for a something that ain't guaranteed.

I've read plenty of articles about dr and law practices closing cause business ain't coming through the door. There are a lot of people with degrees who don't have jobs in the field that their degree is in. So they not making what they thought they would've salary wise and struggling to pay off that debt.