Comments

• Los216
    Los216 Members Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D. Morgan wrote: »
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    A year or 2 ago met a ? selling ticket packages for the wizards that was well over 100K in debt from college ? was stressing like ? . Graduated from St. Johns Univ. in New York.

Just cause you graduate with a degree in a lucrative field doesn't mean a person will find a job in that field. ? just not that easy.

That's my pops alma mater.

Be more specific though. I don't know any out of work, Drs, Lawyers, Accountants, or Engineers. If, they are out there, they are by choice.

Be more specific about what? If you mean about her. I don't remember what her degree was in cause I thought she was ? hell to get that far into for a something that ain't guaranteed.

I've read plenty of articles about dr and law practices closing cause business ain't coming through the door. There are a lot of people with degrees who don't have jobs in the field that their degree is in. So they not making what they thought they would've salary wise and struggling to pay off that debt.

Lucrative fields?

A Dr. will never be without work family or a Lawyer. Of course businesses will close and possibly go through hard times. However, a Lawyer can always get work as a public defender. Whether they want to accept the pay, ? hours and cases is another story. Same with Dr. they can always find work in a hospital, or outpatient center.

However, I agree with your overall premise that there are many people in the workforce that aren't in jobs in the areas their degree is in.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not everybody can be a doctor or a lawyer

Be realistic with that.
  • Kwan Dai
    Shizlansky wrote: »

Be realistic with that.

I agree 100%. You need Engineers and people who know Finance as well.

But Marketing Degrees, communication degrees, history degrees etc. Aren't worth the paper they are printed on. You don't need higher learning or specialized training in these fields.
  • IceManKam
    IceManKam Members Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I blame America's or even society's push that a college education is needed for every position.
  • Kwan Dai
    IceManKam wrote: »
    I blame America's or even society's push that a college education is needed for every position.

Indeed and the idea that simply obtaining a degree = success. College is a status symbol to most including parents. So, many have brought into the fallacy.

With good paying industrial jobs all but gone they have had to fill the void some type of way.
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IceManKam wrote: »

Indeed and the idea that simply obtaining a degree = success. College is a status symbol to most including parents. So, many have brought into the fallacy.

With good paying industrial jobs all but gone they have had to fill the void some type of way.

So true and its so sad to see so many tripping themselves up at such a early age in life falling for this okey doke.
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that ? said he still owed $1500 from 1987.

"$1500 for 20 years, ? i can divide.."

it would be f'd up tho if they didn't send him any notice or anything warning of legal action within the next year or something... if they just popped up on some random ? , yea thats grimey....
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Knew there was a plan all along on why they wanted you ? in debt to get a piece of ? ass paper that doesn't guarantee you ? once you have it!

Few things guarantees you ? in life really and what can ain't free. One of the things you learn or should learn in college is just that your degree isn't what guarantees you anything it's a tool just like anything else in life you use to move ahead
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a debt consolidation company handle mine for me cuz I'd rather owe them
  • EmM HoLLa.
    EmM HoLLa. Members Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A year or 2 ago met a ? selling ticket packages for the wizards that was well over 100K in debt from college ? was stressing like ? . Graduated from St. Johns Univ. in New York.

Just cause you graduate with a degree in a lucrative field doesn't mean a person will find a job in that field. ? just not that easy.

You'll always have those cases.. At the end of the day nothing is guaranteed. But it's better to at least open yourself up to a lucrative career than not.. If you're going to go to college..
  • blackrain
    Los216 wrote: »
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    I don't have a degree but I will NEVER owe money for education. I would teach myself and my kids before I owe thousands of dollars for some validation. Never will I take out a loan for college.

Being self taught is a good thing.. But going to college is a lot more than just validation.. There are plenty of positives to going to college..

You're right about that. The problem is going to college doesn't mean go at all cost. Go with what makes sense. I just don't see any career out there that's worth being tens of thousands in debt. In that situation you don't even have a career until your schooling is paid off. That's ass backwards.

There's plenty ways to get into college and leave without a ton of debt. People just aren't educated on how to do so. Its funny people ? on the education you get in college because of the debt yet remain uneducated on how to avoid it.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a private company contracted out the feds to collect on that debt.. ? is nasty..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4j49vAZxfQ

Of course a precedent is set with a black man
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol, mom dukes just gives them $20 a month.

Can you work out a deal like that? I'm in student loan debt also. Will it absolve your credit?
  • blackrain

Be realistic with that.

But Marketing Degrees, communication degrees, history degrees etc. Aren't worth the paper they are printed on. You don't need higher learning or specialized training in these fields.

There isn't a job or career around you don't need training for. Even if you pick up a trade at some point you will have to learn something or be certified in order to prove you actually know what you're doing.
  • blackrain
    edited February 2016

Can you work out a deal like that? I'm in student loan debt also. Will it absolve your credit?

You can work out a deal like that it ain't hard at all. They just want anything no matter how small most of the time to get off your back...

With that said the student loan debt in this country is a huge problem and needs a serious overhaul....but again there's ways around that ? to avoid them or at least avoid taking out a ? ton that will follow you forever
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So they don't have a statue of limitations for that? I thought after 7 years they can't collect. I was able to get some debt off my credit with that.
  • Kwan Dai
    blackrain wrote: »
    I don't have a degree but I will NEVER owe money for education. I would teach myself and my kids before I owe thousands of dollars for some validation. Never will I take out a loan for college.

Being self taught is a good thing.. But going to college is a lot more than just validation.. There are plenty of positives to going to college..

You're right about that. The problem is going to college doesn't mean go at all cost. Go with what makes sense. I just don't see any career out there that's worth being tens of thousands in debt. In that situation you don't even have a career until your schooling is paid off. That's ass backwards.

There's plenty ways to get into college and leave without a ton of debt. People just aren't educated on how to do so. Its funny people ? on the education you get in college because of the debt yet remain uneducated on how to avoid it.

There are ways however, I think you are overstating how many outlets are available. 4 year institutions on average are $25,000 a year. And there is no full proof way educated or not ensure you are leaving out with even 50% of your tuition covered. Unless you are a stellar athlete, student or severely impoverished you aren't walking away with even 50% of your tuition covered.

My son who has expressed interest in Wake Forest and my daughter NYU both schools are average 50,000 (living cost excluded) a year. There just aren't organizations, benefactors, and state funds being handed out to students in such large amounts for your assertion to be accurate.

The "Ivory Tower" is a great reference for what's happening around the country and ways to decrease college tuition costs but with the increases being so drastic it's almost impossible to step away debt free. Hell walking out of college with any type of financial debt is somewhat of a step back. It's kind of a smack in the face actually.

• Kwan Dai

Be realistic with that.

There isn't a job or career around you don't need training for. Even if you pick up a trade at some point you will have to learn something or be certified in order to prove you actually know what you're doing.

What is the purpose of your comment? When did I imply that training or learning isn't required to obtain a job or to sustain a career?
  • alliknowishate
    alliknowishate Members Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    Get a trade. Problem solved
  • Kwan Dai
    edited February 2016
    Get a trade. Problem solved

You're correct.

However the symbolism and status isn't there.

Exhibit A: Yes, I attend the University of Ga. majoring in History.

Exhibit B: Yes, I attend _________ studying to be an HVAC technician.

Exhibit B doesn't have that flair. Parents can't flex at the party with that ? . LMAO.

• Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

You can work out a deal like that it ain't hard at all. They just want anything no matter how small most of the time to get off your back...

With that said the student loan debt in this country is a huge problem and needs a serious overhaul....but again there's ways around that ? to avoid them or at least avoid taking out a ? ton that will follow you forever

what about your credit though will it square every thing up in that area?
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    But the notion of free undergraduate tuition is what is outrageous ... Impossible, right???

Some of y'all got to unplug from the matrix
  • AggieLean.
    AggieLean. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I pay a student loan agency a couple hundred bucks every month, and will be doing so for the next 5 years. Crazy they're sending the police to come and collect these debts, but the government is going to get their money I suppose.

My debt sucks, but it was well worth it. Great college experience, networking connects, and a great job with great pay. Could have avoided a lot of the debt i acquired, but I didn't research scholarships like I should have and I didn't take school as serious as I should have my first few years. I tell all the young ones I come across now to either get a STEM degree or go learn a skill. Also, community colleges are ways of avoiding debt as well. You can complete all your core courses and it doesn't cost much to do it. I learned so much just from my experience, hopefully I'll be able to help my lil ones avoid student loan debt in the future.
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^ This

College gets a bad rap but, if you are smart about it (like any investment), it's value will dwarf the associated cost ...

That doesent mean it isn't overpriced tho

My earning potential is through the roof and I have already benefited directly and indirectly from the connections I established in school.

A few hundred bucks to Uncle Sam every month is well worth that.