Feds Arresting People For Delinquent Student Loans. o_O

Options
13»

Comments

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Thanks to Obama he made it where you can afford to have student debt. I think you can get a deal and they would take out only 10% which is cool
  • _God_
    _God_ Members Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Im 40 gs in debt, when they come you all will know who I am
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    blackrain wrote: »
    Los216 wrote: »
    EmM HoLLa. wrote: »
    Los216 wrote: »
    I don't have a degree but I will NEVER owe money for education. I would teach myself and my kids before I owe thousands of dollars for some validation. Never will I take out a loan for college.

Being self taught is a good thing.. But going to college is a lot more than just validation.. There are plenty of positives to going to college..

You're right about that. The problem is going to college doesn't mean go at all cost. Go with what makes sense. I just don't see any career out there that's worth being tens of thousands in debt. In that situation you don't even have a career until your schooling is paid off. That's ass backwards.

There's plenty ways to get into college and leave without a ton of debt. People just aren't educated on how to do so. Its funny people ? on the education you get in college because of the debt yet remain uneducated on how to avoid it.

There are ways however, I think you are overstating how many outlets are available. 4 year institutions on average are $25,000 a year. And there is no full proof way educated or not ensure you are leaving out with even 50% of your tuition covered. Unless you are a stellar athlete, student or severely impoverished you aren't walking away with even 50% of your tuition covered.

My son who has expressed interest in Wake Forest and my daughter NYU both schools are average 50,000 (living cost excluded) a year. There just aren't organizations, benefactors, and state funds being handed out to students in such large amounts for your assertion to be accurate.

The "Ivory Tower" is a great reference for what's happening around the country and ways to decrease college tuition costs but with the increases being so drastic it's almost impossible to step away debt free. Hell walking out of college with any type of financial debt is somewhat of a step back. It's kind of a smack in the face actually.

There's plenty of ways to get your tuition paid in full, trust me I know because I got a scholarship to cover mine adn the school I went to cost more than 50k/year...so trust me if you search its out there. I never said it was an easy thing to get, I jsut said the resources are out there if you search for them. For instance, there's a program nationwide called the Possee Scholarship specifically for minority students that covers the cost of their entire tution at schools for the full time they're in school. That's just 1 for you right there. Even if you don't walk away 100% debt free there's still plenty ways to minimize the debt you incur while in school. Often times people just get overwhelmed and give up before even really starting to search.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    welp looks like im next....peace out IC
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Damn, currently 27k in debt and rising, ima leave this thread before it depresses the ? out of me
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Options
    They smart since i know i wasnt going to give money to a ? named sally mae
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Has to be more to this story than what was reported
    seems possible:
    First, there is no need to panic: You cannot be arrested simply for defaulting on your federal loans.

“If anyone out there thinks that it is the top priority of the U.S. Marshal’s Service to arrest student-loan violators, they are sadly mistaken,” Richard Hunter, chief deputy U.S. marshal for the southern district of Texas, told me in an interview.

Marshals had made several attempts to contact Aker to appear in federal court, according to Hunter. Notices were sent to numerous known addresses. Marshals spoke with Aker by phone and requested that he appear in court, but Aker refused, a statement from officials said. So a federal judge issued a warrant for Aker’s arrest for failing to appear at a December 2012 hearing.

“A big misconception is people are being arrested for not paying their loans, when in fact they are being arrested for failure to appear in court,” Hunter said. “At the point the U.S. marshals show up at your door, there have been months — perhaps many years — of notices, summons, et cetera, issued.”

Here comes the second lesson in this story.

During the Houston news broadcast, Rep. Gene Green (D-Tex.) asked Aker whether he had been notified by anyone ahead of time about the state of his loan. “You didn’t receive any kind of notice?” Green asked. “No certified mail? Nobody coming out saying, ‘This is the debt you owe?’ ”

“Nothing in almost 30 years,” Aker said.

We now know from court records dating to 2007 that Aker had indeed been contacted about the debt. A default judgment was entered for $2,709.47. But more to the point, even if he hadn’t been served about the loan, he is ultimately accountable for keeping track of how much he borrowed. It’s your responsibility to know what you owe. If you move, let your lenders know. If you haven’t been receiving bills, call and find out why.

• fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    IceManKam wrote: »
    I blame America's or even society's push that a college education is needed for every position.
    I see job postings online requiring bachelor's degrees for jobs paying only $14/$15 hour. Smh.
  • cannonspike1994
    cannonspike1994 Members Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    never borrow money.
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    Get a trade. Problem solved

You're correct.

However the symbolism and status isn't there.

Exhibit A: Yes, I attend the University of Ga. majoring in History.

Exhibit B: Yes, I attend _________ studying to be an HVAC technician.

Exhibit B doesn't have that flair. Parents can't flex at the party with that ? . LMAO.

They can keep that debt, I make just as much as they do and I fon't get my paychecks ? every month.
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5th Letter wrote: »
    Has to be more to this story than what was reported

Yes like he was court ordered to handle this debt and had skipped out on a previous court date. This is 30 years of debt.

He claims to have not received the infornation via mail but I call ? .
  • BlackCat
    BlackCat Members Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man what's all the hate in Art and Art-history degrees. How you think artists maximize their craft and curators put on exhibitions. Museums pretty much run by those people mostly. And if you do education with that, you can work in inner cities/ law socio-economic neighborhoods and the government would pay off some of your loans. I got so much loans, I will just keep going to school forever. I'm thinking about getting into an MFA program. I will get once again more loans and TA lower classes for some stipend. I will always be broke and in dept but whatever. Everything is not about money. I enjoy my learning experiences. I still plan to go to school for a long time while doing a little hassle on the side to support my lifestyle. Yes you can learn a lot of things by reading like history by yourself but I'm a firm believer that we learn better through interactions, hands on experiences with other learners, and even from teaching others. If they come arrest me for staying long time in school and not paying my student loans, well I won't regret it. The experience and apportunity I gained will be worth it.
  • The Prime Minister
    The Prime Minister Members Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My whole thing is that student loan debt is exempt from bankruptcy protection, which seems totally unconstitutional.. Word.
  • The Prime Minister
    The Prime Minister Members Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also, if you still owe on student loans by the time you retire, that disqualifies you from receiving Social Security - which is pretty ? up.