Happy Womens History Month

Options
gns
gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
Was browsing the ic and I saw a couple of threads where women were not only being bashed in the title but also in threads where women werent even the topic.

I remembered(mainly because I had to attend a celebration earlier this month) that it was women history month and this bashing isnt right especially this time of year.

I figured the powder room would have some type of acknowledgement of this month but it was not so.

Therefore like society, things will not be right till a black man steps up and leads the way.

This is a positive thread not malice or hidden agenda.
Even though i will start it im counting on the ladies of the ic to contribute because this is your month.
Use it to educate and remind the populace of the immeasurable contributions that has been given by ? 's Gift

THE WOMAN.

SOME OF MY FAVOURITES FROM HISTORY

nanny2.jpg
Nanny was born in about 1686 in what is now Ghana, West Africa, into the Ashanti tribe.[4] It is believed that some of her family members were involved in intertribal conflict and her village was captured. Nanny and several relatives were sold as slaves and sent to Jamaica. Upon arrival in Jamaica, Nanny was likely sold to a plantation in Saint Thomas Parish, just outside the Port Royal area. Such plantations' main crop was sugarcane, and the slaves toiled under extremely harsh conditions. Another version of her life is that she was of royal African blood and came to Jamaica as a free woman. She may have been married to a man named Adou, but apparently had no children.[3]

As a child, Nanny was influenced by other slave leaders and maroons. She and her "brothers", Accompong, Cudjoe, Johnny and Quao, ran away from their plantation and hid in the Blue Mountains area of northern Saint Thomas Parish.[4] While in hiding, they split up to organize more Maroon communities across Jamaica: Cudjoe went to Saint James Parish and organized a village, which was later named Cudjoe Town; Accompong settled in Saint Elizabeth Parish, in a community that came to be known asAccompong Town;[5] Nanny and Quao founded communities in Portland Parish.

Nanny became a folk hero. There were stories of British attacks on Nanny Town, but thanks to the strategic location, and her idea of having only one entrance/exit to the town, they were able to fight off all but one British soldier even though they were severely outnumbered. Cudjoe went on to lead slave rebellions in Jamaica.

By 1720, Nanny and Quao had settled and controlled an area in the Blue Mountains. It was given the name Nanny Town, and consisted of the 500 acres (2.4 km²) of land granted to the runaway slaves. Nanny Town had a strategic location as it overlooked Stony River via a 900-foot (270 m) ridge, making a surprise attack by the British practically impossible.[4] The Maroons at Nanny Town also organized look-outs for such an attack as well as designated warriors who could be summoned by the sound of a horn called an abeng.

Maroons at Nanny Town and similar communities survived by sending traders to the nearby market towns to exchange food for weapons and cloth. The community raised animals, hunted, and grew crops, and was organized very much like a typical Ashantisociety in Africa. The Maroons were also known for raiding plantations for weapons and food, burning the plantations, and leading slaves back to their communities.

Nanny was very adept at organizing plans to free slaves. For over 30 years, she freed more than 1000 slaves, and helped them to resettle in the Maroon community.[4]

jb_jazz_sufarrst_1_m.jpg
Womens Suffragists and the fight for the vote.

Harriet-Tubman-248x300.jpg
Mama Tubman

MTE1ODA0OTcxODE1MzA2NzY1.jpg
Madam C.J. Walker
Sarah Breedlove (December 23, 1867 – May 25, 1919), known as Madam C. J. Walker, was an American entrepreneur, philanthropist, and a political and social activist. Eulogized as the first female self-made millionaire in America,[3] she became one of the wealthiest African American women in the country. Walker made her fortune by developing and marketing a line of beauty and hair products for black women through Madame C.J. Walker Manufacturing Company, the successful business she founded. Walker was also known for her philanthropy and activism. She made financial donations to numerous organizations and became a patron of the arts. Villa Lewaro, Walker’s lavish estate in Irvington-on-Hudson, New York, served as a social gathering place for the African American community. TheMadame Walker Theatre Center opened inIndianapolis in 1927 to continue her legacy. Both of these properties are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

41WEMNAJ4VL.jpg
Celia Cruz
Úrsula Hilaria Celia de la Caridad Cruz Alfonso also known by her stage name Celia Cruz (October 21, 1925 – July 16, 2003) was a Cuban singer of latin music. The most popular latin artist of the 20th century, she earned twenty-three gold albums and was a recipient of the National Medal of Arts. She was renowned internationally as the "Queen of Salsa", "La Guarachera de Cuba", as well asThe Queen of Latin Music.[1][2]

She spent much of her career working in the United States and several Latin Americancountries. Leila Cobo of Billboard Magazineonce said "Cruz is indisputably the best known and most influential female figure in the history of Cuban and Latin music".

nationcostumeb.jpg
Ms. Louise Bennet
No need to copy and paste this one I can tell you about myself.
Ms. Lou as she was lovingly called was a Jamaican poet.
Most older kids grew up on her stories where she told popular Jamaican and African(anansi) folk stories.
She was a mainstay at festivals and popular Jamaican kids programs where she held the youths attention while entertaining, enlightening and educating.
A great woman and national treasure that ended her days in Toronto, Canada and is now resting in The National Heroes Park

Men and women add on.
Theres a lot more, Mothers included

Comments