Angela Bassett

the name speaks for itself

angela-bassett-45_240x340_79.jpg
  • Reesey
    Reesey Members Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Angela Davis

6izp5u.jpg
    Angela Davis is the embodiment of radical Black female thought, having been heavily involved with the Communist Party from 1969 -1991, and associated with the Black Panther Party during the 1960s.
    She is a scholar, activist, author, and two-time Communist Party vice presidential nominee who does not just talk the talk, she walks the walk.
    During the civil rights movement, she was involved with many organizations that were fighting for Black liberation. The movement was dominated by charismatic male leaders, but Davis stood up for Black women’s rights and called for an end to oppressive state control in America.
    In her book, Woman, Race, and Class she analyzes events that have shaped Black women’s experiences in America and uses them to illustrate how multiple oppressive forces impacted the women’s life choices.
    This work provides one of the earliest critical examinations to the women’s suffrage movement and feminism, calling out both for their racism and exploitation of the Black community to further their own agenda.
    The ? structure has attempted to bring Davis down on several occasions, such as charging her in connection with the 1970 Marian County Courthouse kidnapping and shootings, which led to her name being added to the FBI Ten Most Wanted Fugitive List. Angela was eventually arrested for the alleged shooting and held in prison for several months, but later found not guilty of all charges.
    Despite these attempts to damage her character and reputation, she is still fighting to bring an end to the prison-industrial complex system.
  • Reesey
    Amy Jacques Garvey (1895-1973)

2guxquo.jpg
    Amy Jacques Garvey was the force behind Marcus Garvey and a leader in the Pan-African/Black Nationalist Movement.
    She was a journalist, feminist, and activist, who assumed several important roles within United ? Improvement Association that was very active during the 1920s, but started to decline after 1949. Amy Jacques Garvey not only made a number of contributions to the UNIA, but to Black political thought in general. She believed that women’s special traits could be used as a “purifying effect on politics.”
    Advocating that Blacks learn to protect themselves and acquire weapons, Amy calls to mind the “By any means necessary” philosophy of Malcolm X.
    Words were Amy Jacques Garvey’s tools for inspiring people to action. She published several books, a number in service to her husband. After Marcus Garvey was arrested, she stepped up to steer the expansive and ever-growing UNIA.
    Popular historical narratives tend to focus heavily on the male leaders of social movements, but in the case of Amy Jacques Garvey and Marcus Garvey, the legacy of UNIA was equally established by both of these radical and daring amazing and exceptional Black leaders.
  • Reesey
    Kathleen Neal Cleaver

2dkivj9.jpg
    She was in charge of organizing a student conference at Fisk University in Nashville, Tennessee. At the conference, Kathleen met the minister of information for the Black Panther Party, Eldridge Cleaver. She moved to San Francisco in November 1967 to join the Black Panther Party. Kathleen Neal and Eldridge Cleaver were married on December 27, 1967. Cleaver became the communications secretary and the first female member of the Party’s decision-making body. She also served as the spokesperson and press secretary. Notably, she organized the national campaign to free the Party’s minister of defense, Huey Newton, who was jailed. Kathleen Neal Cleaver was among a small group of women that were prominent in the Black Panther Party, which included Elaine Brown and Ericka Huggins.[1] In 1968 (the same year her husband ran for president on the Peace and Freedom ticket) she ran for California's 18th state assembly district, also as a candidate of the Peace and Freedom party. Cleaver received 2,778 votes[2] for 4.7% of the total vote, finishing third in a four-candidate race.[3] As a result of their involvement with the Black Panther Party, the Cleavers were often the target of police investigations. The Cleavers’ apartment was raided in 1968 before a Panther rally by the San Francisco Tactical Squad on the suspicion of hiding guns and ammunition. Later that year, Eldridge Cleaver staged a deliberate[dubious – discuss] ambush of Oakland police officers during which two police officers were injured. Cleaver was wounded and fellow Black Panther member Bobby Hutton was killed in a shootout following the initial exchange of gunfire.[4] Charged with attempted murder, he jumped bail to flee to Cuba and later went to Algeria. When Cleaver returned to the United States, he stated the shootout was a deliberate ambush against police. The same author who broke the news of this claim doubted its veracity, because it was in the context of an uncharacteristic speech, in which Cleaver also discredited the Black Panthers, stated "we need police as heroes," and said that he denounced civilian review boards of police shootings for the "bizarre" reason that "it is a rubber stamp for murder." The author speculates that it could have been a pay off to the Alameda County justice system, whose judge had only just days earlier let Eldridge Cleaver escape prison time; Cleaver was sentenced to mere community service after getting charged with three counts of assault against three Oakland cops. [5] The PBS documentary A Huey Newton Story finds that “Bobby Hutton was shot more than twelve times after he had already surrendered and stripped down to his underwear to prove he was not armed.”[6]
  • NeighborhoodNomad.
    NeighborhoodNomad. Members Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How would the ladies of the IC like to see Women's History Month celebrated?

And for the ladies who contributed to the thread, props, and what in particular is the reason(s) those women were important to you?
  • BrideofKilla
    BrideofKilla Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    sojourner%20truth%20-%20loc.jpg

Ain’t I A Woman?
    by Sojourner Truth (1851) Women’s Convention in Akron, Ohio

Well, children, where there is so much racket there must be something out of kilter. I think that ‘twixt the negroes of the South and the women at the North, all talking about rights, the white men will be in a fix pretty soon. But what’s all this here talking about?
    That man over there says that women need to be helped into carriages, and lifted over ditches, and to have the best place everywhere. Nobody ever helps me into carriages, or over mud-puddles, or gives me any best place! And ain’t I a woman? Look at me! Look at my arm! I have ploughed and planted, and gathered into barns, and no man could head me! And ain’t I a woman? I could work as much and eat as much as a man - when I could get it - and bear the lash as well! And ain’t I a woman? I have borne thirteen children, and seen most all sold off to slavery, and when I cried out with my mother’s grief, none but Jesus heard me! And ain’t I a woman?
    Then they talk about this thing in the head; what’s this they call it? [member of audience whispers, “intellect”] That’s it, honey. What’s that got to do with women’s rights or negroes’ rights? If my cup won’t hold but a pint, and yours holds a quart, wouldn’t you be mean not to let me have my little half measure full?
    Then that little man in black there, he says women can’t have as much rights as men, 'cause Christ wasn’t a woman! Where did your Christ come from? Where did your Christ come from? From ? and a woman! Man had nothing to do with Him.
    If the first woman ? ever made was strong enough to turn the world upside down all alone, these women together ought to be able to turn it back , and get it right side up again! And now they is asking to do it, the men better let them.
    Obliged to you for hearing me, and now old Sojourner ain’t got nothing more to say.
  • Reesey
    edited March 2016
    How would the ladies of the IC like to see Women's History Month celebrated?

And for the ladies who contributed to the thread, props, and what in particular is the reason(s) those women were important to you?

Honestly,

Setting a side a "month" to celebrate greatness ,rather it be for Black History or Women's History, instead of celebrating, learning and teaching all year round has always been an issue for me.

But in this society, it is what it is. I would use this month (as any other) to spread the word. Bring to the forefront the magnificence of "WOMEN".

I chose those 'few' women because they represent the fire that burns in the pit of my stomach. The anger, the frustration.. Reflecting the knowledge, the power and the unbelievable resilience.

If offense is taken... so be it, but I am serious about the prosperity of Afro-American's. I am a "By any means necessary" spirit.

Though you can only do and say so much on the internet.. what you do in your home, neighborhood, local schools, shelters, Children centers etc is what matters.

I do not fall victim to the BS that is western society and stopped drinking the Kool-aide many years ago.

These 3 ladies along with a "LONG" list of many others are whom I absorbed many of my views from and marvel in their strength, courage and greatness.

• OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    K Michelle
    Screen-Shot-2015-11-03-at-3.57.02-PM.png
    A true definition of Strong black woman. Shes mad talented and funny I love her big ass
  • ShottaDaBeast
    ShottaDaBeast Members Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hazel Scott

https://youtu.be/1HdnjTCMzpg
    Hazel Dorothy Scott (June 11, 1920 – October 2, 1981) was a Trinidadian-born jazz and classical pianist and singer; she also performed as herself in several films. She also was the first black women with her own TV show.

Born in Port of Spain, Hazel was taken at the age of four by her mother to New York. Recognized early as a musical prodigy, Scott was given scholarships from the age of eight to study at the Juilliard School. She began performing in a jazz band in her teens and was performing on radio at age 16.

She was prominent as a jazz singer throughout the 1930s and 1940s. In 1950, she became the first woman of color to have her own TV show, The Hazel Scott Show, featuring a variety of entertainment. Her career in America faltered after a scandalous affair with the married preacher and politician Adam Clayton Powell, Jr.,[1] and after she testified before the House Un-American Activities Committee during the McCarthy era. Scott subsequently moved to Paris in the late 1950s and performed in France, not returning to the United States until 1967.

tumblr_lof9mszQRy1qfrtwfo1_500.jpg
    tumblr_n71d14ta5K1qgtqgzo1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_lof9mszQRy1qfrtwfo1_500.jpg

tumblr_m3m83cBwBz1qgtqgzo1_500.jpg

• MizuryLillith
    MizuryLillith Members Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Three words.

Candice Cameron Bure.
    Drop all the bible thumping agenda and propaganda....
    And that is the smartest female ice ever had the pleasure of learning from...
    Research her and submissive love... Then we'll talk.