Cross Network Play coming soon..XBOX One Playing Against PS4 Online

Options
nujerz84
nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
Xbox One owners will soon be able to play online with PS4 friends

If you're one of the 51 million people who own either a PlayStation 4 or Xbox One, you probably spent some time debating which console's graphics and exclusive games were worth you dropping $400 dollars over.

More importantly, however, you wanted to know which console your friends were getting so you could continue spanking them online.

Well, the folks over at Microsoft are trying to make the decision a thing of the past.

Chris Charla, Director of ID@Xbox, announced via Xbox.com that the company is now "enabling developers to support cross-network play."

"This means players on Xbox One and Windows 10 using Xbox Live will be able to play with players on different online multiplayer networks – including other console and PC networks." Charla wrote.

That doesn't mean you can play your PS4-wielding friend in NBA 2k16 tomorrow, however. Charla emphasizes the important role game developers will play in the transition, but it looks like they've already got a game ready to test the feature.

"Of course, it's up to game developers to support this feature, and Xbox Live players will always have the option of choosing to play only with other Xbox Live players. We're thrilled to confirm that Psyonix's Rocket League will be one of the first games to take advantage of this new capability by enabling cross-network play between Xbox One and PC players, with an open invitation for other networks to participate as well."

move is a significant one for Microsoft. Despite the immediate and pre-emptive success of Xbox Live on the original Xbox, the PS4 network has grown leaps and bounds as the platform continues to outsell its rival worldwide. Of the 51 million consoles currently in homes around the world, only an estimated 15 million are Microsoft's Xbox One.

So in an effort to catch-up and possibly curb the number of original Xbox owners making the switch for online-gaming purposes, Microsoft is opening the door to cross-network gaming.

I feel bad for all my PS4-owning friends who will get this work once the first cross-network Madden drops.

Comments

• The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For ? that dont feel like reading.

https://youtu.be/wX5kSR3FRIY
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I like this idea. Should be interesting if it happens for 2K/Madden/CoD.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
  • Da12RespectA
    Da12RespectA Members Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is going to be dope
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Totally unnecessary
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I dont think PS users wanna swim in those waters. The level of online play with Xbox Live users is much higher. PS4 is the casual box this gen, and PS users in general favor single player.

Good job on M$ part for even proposing it though.
  • PILL_COSBY
    PILL_COSBY Members Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I already predicted this was gonna happen one day. Gamers getting tired of this greed ? up our gaming experience. Got the same damn games on VERY similar systems on different servers.........WTF? Would have been great if gta 5 was cross platform.

They been had the ability to do this since dreamcast was out. I had this game called phantasy star universe on the ps2 and you could play with PC players. Some hackers or modders made a server where you could play with xbox 360 as well. I had another game phantasy star online episode 1&2 before that one on gamecube. You could play with players on the pc with no issues on a hackers server.

? been possible for a minute.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? dont know how ? these connections will be or how gamertags/psn will go
  • _Jay_
    _Jay_ Members, Administrators Posts: 3,689 My Name Is My Name.
    Options
    took all parties involved long enough, but dope news nonetheless
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sony pleding the fifth on allowing it though.

Guess they doing their audience a favor. PSN ? would get slaughtered playing against XBO/Windows 10 ?
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Xbox won..

Not really.

If anything it sounds like a desperate move by MS. Sony have done cross-platform gameplay since PS2 and currently allow cross-play between PC and their other platforms. MS aren't in a particularly good position at the moment considering how many PS4 owners there are compared to Xbox1. Sony don't need to set up cross-play with MS and it wouldn't make business sense to do it either at the moment.

The thing is MS could have approached Sony privately about this but MS decided to go public and force Sony into an awkward position. I just don't expect Sony to change their strategy after this announcement.
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Xbox won..

Not really.

If anything it sounds like a desperate move by MS. Sony have done cross-platform gameplay since PS2 and currently allow cross-play between PC and their other platforms. MS aren't in a particularly good position at the moment considering how many PS4 owners there are compared to Xbox1. Sony don't need to set up cross-play with MS and it wouldn't make business sense to do it either at the moment.

The thing is MS could have approached Sony privately about this but MS decided to go public and force Sony into an awkward position. I just don't expect Sony to change their strategy after this announcement.

Good post. This actually puts it into perspective for me. I wouldn't do it if I was sony.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? really seeing this as bad thing?
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sony accepted......

Gotta have a sit down first to talk about policies and other corporate ? .......

This is huge
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    Sony accepted......

Gotta have a sit down first to talk about policies and other corporate ? .......

This is huge

For every multiplat game? Or just rocket league?

Rocket league is fun as hell btw
  • HundredEyes
    HundredEyes Members Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? of dreams, especially for those that remember the sega vs ninty days

doesnt seem like many people give a damn now though, ? would have been huge back in the day