Is stef curry destroying the game of bball?

Options
13»

Comments

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Steph influencing kids to learn to shoot > AI influencing kids to learn to dribble but nothing else

I don't know. I think I'd rather a ? dribble all day and then draw a foul than jack up a shot two feet from the half court line. You're basically comparing the technically sound part of Curry's game to the unsound part of AI's.
    sobek wrote: »
    BlackAX410 wrote: »
    Steph didn't ruin the NBA, the NBA did. They made the game less defensive with by implementing unnecessary rules. They're too quick to penalize players for "flagrant fouls" when 9 time out of 10 it shouldn't be considered flagrant. They got ? scared to even defend themselves in a fight cuz they worried about getting suspended and receiving heavy fines up the ass.

IMO, all these things combined has resulted in a much less aggressive, and even somewhat less competitive attitudes by players overall. When we were kids watching the NBA, ? on opposing teams hated each other. In today's NBA, most players don't even really show a competitive dislike for their opponents. Some dudes even act like losing ain't that big of a deal.

The NBA is not even ruined to begin with.

In comparison to the defensive/competitiveness 10 to 15 years ago to now it is.

NBA was at its worst offensively 15 years ago the league is a way better product now

It's a better product in terms of offense, yes. But I wasn't talking about offense.

back then ? couldnt defend so much better than they do now, only difference is then u can get away with power slammin ? in the air, now a days ur exposed. ? all that fugazi tough punchin ? in the air ? of the old days.

Stop it. People did play better defense back then. It was a more integral part of the game. You can get away with weaker defense now, so not as much of a premium now.

Explain how the bad boys throwing Jordan around with non basketball plays is better defense than say kawhi or iggy making a highly efficient LeBron as inefficient as ?
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tell us about the stellar defense played against the Denver nuggets or Showtime Lakers back in the day
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tell us about the stellar defense played against the Denver nuggets or Showtime Lakers back in the day

Lol ? really think the players of today would've struggled in the uptempo play of the 80's, ? fouls doesn't mean better defense lls
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bro y'all just looking at the 3's. But look at the footwork and fundamentals Steph uses to get his shot moving with out the ball coming off screens. The way he sets his feet. Taking what defense gives him.
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY
    LEMZIMUS_RAMSEY Members, Writer Posts: 17,670 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Steph is a dribbling, shooting, ? Nightmare to his Opponents. He is ultra good, especially in the 3pts shooting Department.

He does destroying one thing: AMERICAS IDEA OF GIGANTISM. We are watching a small guy doing BIG THINGS over BIG DUDES.

That will change draft prospects, and the vision of the game. The Dwights and Deandre Jordans Aka I cant shoot a free throw / just dunks will be outcast. Coaching and assembling a team has a lot more possibilities and combinations.

To conlude Curry doesnt destroy the NBA, he has made it more opened and complex.

Imo
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Bro y'all just looking at the 3's. But look at the footwork and fundamentals Steph uses to get his shot moving with out the ball coming off screens. The way he sets his feet. Taking what defense gives him.

This is all very true and he ain't ruining a damn thing!

The only thing is kids jus see "3 ball" from Curry. Go to any of your local gyms and I guarantee you'll see most these kids out here jus jackin' 3's from 30+ feet with raggedy ass form. Younger cats been doing that, but it's gotten hella worse. I actually see this in rec games, not jus pick ups. It's sad!

I've been saying what I'm about to say for years now..... The mid range jumper is a lost Art!! Parents or coaches ain't tellin' (or teachin') these jits that Curry, Klay, Melo, Durant and others of that shooting ilk can shoot the lights out from 5ft, 10 ft, 15 ft, but they jus see beyond the arch.
  • Smokey Tha Bandit
    Smokey Tha Bandit Members Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    why would u force urself to watch somethin u dont find entertaining?

yall prefer basketball where ? are offensively inept? the ncaa tournament is on

prefer ? getting slapped up? wrestling and ufc is on all the time.

bruh, stop acting stupid...
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Steph influencing kids to learn to shoot > AI influencing kids to learn to dribble but nothing else

I don't know. I think I'd rather a ? dribble all day and then draw a foul than jack up a shot two feet from the half court line. You're basically comparing the technically sound part of Curry's game to the unsound part of AI's.
    BlackAX410 wrote: »
    Steph didn't ruin the NBA, the NBA did. They made the game less defensive with by implementing unnecessary rules. They're too quick to penalize players for "flagrant fouls" when 9 time out of 10 it shouldn't be considered flagrant. They got ? scared to even defend themselves in a fight cuz they worried about getting suspended and receiving heavy fines up the ass.

IMO, all these things combined has resulted in a much less aggressive, and even somewhat less competitive attitudes by players overall. When we were kids watching the NBA, ? on opposing teams hated each other. In today's NBA, most players don't even really show a competitive dislike for their opponents. Some dudes even act like losing ain't that big of a deal.

The NBA is not even ruined to begin with.

In comparison to the defensive/competitiveness 10 to 15 years ago to now it is.

NBA was at its worst offensively 15 years ago the league is a way better product now

It's a better product in terms of offense, yes. But I wasn't talking about offense.

back then ? couldnt defend so much better than they do now, only difference is then u can get away with power slammin ? in the air, now a days ur exposed. ? all that fugazi tough punchin ? in the air ? of the old days.

Stop it. People did play better defense back then. It was a more integral part of the game. You can get away with weaker defense now, so not as much of a premium now.

Explain how the bad boys throwing Jordan around with non basketball plays is better defense than say kawhi or iggy making a highly efficient LeBron as inefficient as ?

I...I don't understand. You asking me to compare a defensive strategy used by one team to some isolated instances of individual players getting the better of LeBron. lol Like that's really what you're trying to do?

lol At people arguing this ? . David Stern and other NBA officials admitted that they intentionally made changes to the game to make it more offensive because they believed that's what the fans wanted. It's the same thing they did with Baseball and Football. It's not just about loss of handchecking and less physical play. The philosophy of gameplay is more tilted towards offense first. Hell, Lebron is a good example of that. A lot of his plays are just him bowling over defenders because they don't have many options for stopping him. Big deal if Iggy has made him less efficient a couple times. Back then, half the ? that he does nowadays wouldn't go his way to begin with. If you prefer modern BBall, that's fine. This isn't about which is better. It's just a fact that Defense was more of a focus then than it is now.

Edit: I'll go back on that a little. Whether it's a fact or not is debatable. It's my opinion based on what I've watched.
  • the_focused_one
    the_focused_one Members Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    caddo man wrote: »
    This is what the NBA wanted. They changed the rules on fouls and made it a purely offensive game. NFL did the same. People want points. Nobody is paying for a 76-67 4 quarters game. They want 124-122 back and forth shootout.

Other teams are still hanging on to that low post thinking. When those low percentage shots start missing, a simple lay-up is still the easiest shot. Couple that offensive trends usually are just that, trends. Teams will find a way to slow down anything. Also the offense they run is not for everyone.

The big man, low post half court offense will never get old or die out. It is still the highest percentage shot. Curry is just flipping the script cause he is making these crazy shots look effortless.

Bold 1: This is actually kind of false. If you look at the stats, scoring has only picked up from the mid 2000s. Scoring actually declined steadily since the handcheck went away and zone defense became allowed. In 2013 I think it was, the NBA had the fewest amount of 20 point scores in over 40 years.

Bold 2: This is true and false at the same time. Yes, the Warriors offense is not for everyone; true. But no, unless an entirely new defensive scheme is created and the right team can implement it, there is no stopping Curry and Klay (and the 5 other guys who can shoot the 3 on that roster). Curry can literally pull up from 40 feet and SHOOTS 48% from 30 feet away. This is not a trend; this is a once in a generation scorer with a skill set the NBA has never seen before.

Bold 3. This is true on both accounts, and LeBron is a perfect example of this. He is showing what a bigger player can do when he has a post game AND a jump shot AND a 3 point shot- the post game will never die. But you're also right in that Curry is flipping the script because he and Klay are making the 3 ball look almost as even % a shot as a 10 footer, which is just overpowering the league right now.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is what the NBA wanted. They changed the rules on fouls and made it a purely offensive game. NFL did the same. People want points. Nobody is paying for a 76-67 4 quarters game. They want 124-122 back and forth shootout.

Other teams are still hanging on to that low post thinking. When those low percentage shots start missing, a simple lay-up is still the easiest shot. Couple that offensive trends usually are just that, trends. Teams will find a way to slow down anything. Also the offense they run is not for everyone.

The big man, low post half court offense will never get old or die out. It is still the highest percentage shot. Curry is just flipping the script cause he is making these crazy shots look effortless.

Bold 1: This is actually kind of false. If you look at the stats, scoring has only picked up from the mid 2000s. Scoring actually declined steadily since the handcheck went away and zone defense became allowed. In 2013 I think it was, the NBA had the fewest amount of 20 point scores in over 40 years.

Bold 2: This is true and false at the same time. Yes, the Warriors offense is not for everyone; true. But no, unless an entirely new defensive scheme is created and the right team can implement it, there is no stopping Curry and Klay (and the 5 other guys who can shoot the 3 on that roster). Curry can literally pull up from 40 feet and SHOOTS 48% from 30 feet away. This is not a trend; this is a once in a generation scorer with a skill set the NBA has never seen before.

Bold 3. This is true on both accounts, and LeBron is a perfect example of this. He is showing what a bigger player can do when he has a post game AND a jump shot AND a 3 point shot- the post game will never die. But you're also right in that Curry is flipping the script because he and Klay are making the 3 ball look almost as even % a shot as a 10 footer, which is just overpowering the league right now.

i beg to differ.

maybe in other generations it would be looked at differently...almost selfish to do that regardless of if you make it or not.

i am almost certain that there were plenty of other players with his skillset.

if he keeps it up....like over a few years...then we can say that.

anyone can have a good year or even breakout season
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    U got guys who could do what he can but there games were nuetered by the coaches and run the team philosophy and bug men being the focus. With zines bring allowed and the 3pr shot being used more and rules changes u get what Steph is doing.
  • the_focused_one
    the_focused_one Members Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options

i beg to differ.

maybe in other generations it would be looked at differently...almost selfish to do that regardless of if you make it or not.

i am almost certain that there were plenty of other players with his skillset.

if he keeps it up....like over a few years...then we can say that.

anyone can have a good year or even breakout season

Steph has been hitting from 30+ since college. Maybe a young Ray Allen today could come close, but team philosophy or not, selfish or not, Curry is hitting more shots from further away at a MUCH higher volume and % rate than any of the greats of the past and he creates his own shot.
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Great shooting in basketball is a very good thing. Kids these days should imitate it.

Have you seen college basketball these days? Watching them shoot is painful

They should also imitate his work ethic and drive.

This kid is great for the game.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Every NBA star is great for the game, because they show you can dominate in different ways. AI did it with handle, Curry's doing it with long-range jumpers, LeBron dominates with the playmaker style, Durant's the pure scorer etc.

The fact is, all of these players are fundamentally sound, so to the trained eye, they all help push the game forward.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bumpity bump bump
    bumpity bump bump
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beta wrote: »
    Bcotton's team....

prince_same.PNG

o0zdntt39v2n.jpg
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bumpity bump bump
    bumpity bump bump

Smh
  • AP21
    AP21 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    AP21 wrote: »
    as a ref, i couldnt me happier...i aint even gotta run all the way down court b/c they jacking up 3's so much

win/win for me

just to touch on this

this is better than i could have ever hoped for

i called a game and didnt even have to make it past halfcourt b/c EVERYBODY was jacking up 3s.

it was marvelous

they can keep going like this forever. More rest for the puppies