President Barry Hussein Obama nominates some saltine man to the Supreme Court.. SMDH..

13»

Comments

• Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't say or imply that prior appellate court judicial experience was necessary.

You did imply it because you said,
    She is currently a a judge on a district court, but it is unlikely that she will be nominated to the Supreme Court without being on an appellate court.

Or you don't know what "imply" means.

• damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ghostdog56 wrote: »
    I better not hear none of you ? asking the next president what are they going to do for black people. Old we all in the same boat ass ?

lol at this ? ... its going to be 2030 and this ? still gone be like "can't complain about what they do for us now... ? we elected a black president in 2008"
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    I would've went with Sri

The fact that it was basically this dude or Sri tells you how silly any left-wing ? about this is.

A hard left controversial nominee would be a gift to the GOP. It'd be great for both fundraising and GOTV. "We stand unified against n0bama's communist nomination for the Supreme Court!"

Paul Watford will still prolly be the next black SCOTUS judge but being a young gifted & black liberal judge from California would've played the above role for Republicans. And do black people really need any more motivation to vote against racist Republicans this year? I sure hope not.

That left Sri, a guy who was confirmed 97-0 (worth it just to see cacs and zzombie freak out about a brown hindu judge and start Muslim conspiracy theories) or Merrick. Who is Merrick? THE MOST RIDICULOUSLY QUALIFIED CANDIDATE. This guy has been on the 2ND MOST POWERFUL COURT IN THE COUNTRY FOR 19 ? YEARS.....Chief Judge of it for 3 years....

This would be like if the NBA owners had to vote on a new coaching hire but a majority of them hated a certain owner and vowed to block his hire no matter what..... and then dude hires Coach K or Phil Jackson.

Republican Senators up for re-election in moderate and blue states are ? . They're gonna either ? up and further divide a political party that's already coming apart at the seams, or go into the election with cement shoes. 4 Republican Senators are already agreeing to meet with him. So either way, hard right fascist cacs already convinced that the GOP are a bunch of traitors in n0bama's pocket (lol) will freak out and scream betrayal. More money and enthusiasm for Democratic campaigns this fall; less so for Republicans.

Yes ? , Obama really do play chess....

merrick may have the experience and qualifications, but in his opinion gitmo detainees have no habeas rights...the former prosecutor also has a relatively conservative record on criminal justice

i get obama's selection of a moderate was calculated to embarrass republicans who have stated they refuse to consider anyone he selects

but when, not if, clinton wins the white house, it will be very tempting for them to than try to install merrick in the seat during the lame duck session before a new president can make a much more liberal pick

then i'm not even sure clinton's picks would even be all that groundbreaking

obama has few options , but its still disappointing ....well at least american politics

• JokerzWyld
    JokerzWyld Members Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rock The Vote. Vote Or Die.
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    I would've went with Sri

The fact that it was basically this dude or Sri tells you how silly any left-wing ? about this is.

A hard left controversial nominee would be a gift to the GOP. It'd be great for both fundraising and GOTV. "We stand unified against n0bama's communist nomination for the Supreme Court!"

Paul Watford will still prolly be the next black SCOTUS judge but being a young gifted & black liberal judge from California would've played the above role for Republicans. And do black people really need any more motivation to vote against racist Republicans this year? I sure hope not.

That left Sri, a guy who was confirmed 97-0 (worth it just to see cacs and zzombie freak out about a brown hindu judge and start Muslim conspiracy theories) or Merrick. Who is Merrick? THE MOST RIDICULOUSLY QUALIFIED CANDIDATE. This guy has been on the 2ND MOST POWERFUL COURT IN THE COUNTRY FOR 19 ? YEARS.....Chief Judge of it for 3 years....

This would be like if the NBA owners had to vote on a new coaching hire but a majority of them hated a certain owner and vowed to block his hire no matter what..... and then dude hires Coach K or Phil Jackson.

Republican Senators up for re-election in moderate and blue states are ? . They're gonna either ? up and further divide a political party that's already coming apart at the seams, or go into the election with cement shoes. 4 Republican Senators are already agreeing to meet with him. So either way, hard right fascist cacs already convinced that the GOP are a bunch of traitors in n0bama's pocket (lol) will freak out and scream betrayal. More money and enthusiasm for Democratic campaigns this fall; less so for Republicans.

Good post.

And the thing is opposing this guy doesn't make sense given what Republicans believe or have reasonable grounds for believing.

They believe:

1. That Trump will probably be the nominee.
    2. That Trump will probably -- if not almost certainly -- lose to Hillary.
    3. That a newly elected democratic president would probably nominate someone younger and more liberal than this guy.

So in their mind, it is either this guy, or Sri or Wadford. (And after stalling for a year, they will be under tremendous pressure not to oppose whoever Hillary nominates.) And everything (age, political orientation) suggests that they should prefer this guy.

So from a Republican perspective, at this point, opposing Merrick doesn't make any sense.

Following up on this, some Republicans realize that they are in a bad predicament. So, unbelievably, some of them -- including the Wall Street Journal -- are saying that they should confirm Merrick if Trump loses in November. Which totally goes against what they are saying now. If the next president gets to decide the next justice, how can they then go ahead after the election and vote to confirm someone who was nominated by the current president? As one commentator puts it:
    So the old principle held that the voters next November have a sacred right to determine the identity of the next Supreme Court justice. The new principle is that under no circumstances should Hillary Clinton, the candidate who is most likely to win, get to name the new Supreme Court justice.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2016/03/election-decides-court-unless-clinton-wins.html
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    I didn't say or imply that prior appellate court judicial experience was necessary.

You did imply it because you said,
    She is currently a a judge on a district court, but it is unlikely that she will be nominated to the Supreme Court without being on an appellate court.

Or you don't know what "imply" means.

I didn't imply that appellate court experience was necessary in general. But it is probably necessary for her.

You don't need appellate court experience if you have certain other things going for you: if you're a well-respected constitutional law professor, if you were attorney general, if you were solicitor general, etc. What I am saying is that she doesn't have these other things going for her, so she would probably need appellate court experience.

Got it now?
  • ghostdog56
    ghostdog56 Members Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I better not hear none of you ? asking the next president what are they going to do for black people. Old we all in the same boat ass ?

lol at this ? ... its going to be 2030 and this ? still gone be like "can't complain about what they do for us now... ? we elected a black president in 2008"

? that's going to be you complaining you give a black president a pass but will ask racist white candidates for everything under the sun
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

? that's going to be you complaining you give a black president a pass but will ask racist white candidates for everything under the sun

i didnt give obama a pass... lol... i actually followed things he has done some i agree with... some i dont but overall he was a very good president...

also i understand the political process... why would i ask the president for "everything under the sun" when i wouldnt see any effects gor years... i would ask people in my local government for ? before i would the president. ..
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    This is the part where I reminisce and laugh about the time George W. Bush tried to nominate his personal lawyer and best friend to the Supreme Court and even the most far-right Dubya dickrider had to admit "smh this is ? ".
    The Most Hilarious Bush II Moment
    I would've went with Sri

Merrick's not pro-gun, so ? him and his confirmation

actually, see, this is really why McConnell & Friends ? up with their "we won't consider any nominations" (Democrats being complete hypocrites on this point not withstanding): you can oppose him for legit reasons and you could have just NOT APPROVED THE NOMINATION without ever mentioning it publicly. but no...

• Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would've went with Sri

Sri is too valuable for a 'maybe hell get in maybe he wont' vote. Same for the black guy that Obama was considering. He didnt want to ruin the chances of 2 young possible future judges that could easily be confirmed in the future

He went for the older safe option that will make him look good wether they put him in or not. An older guy whos career wont take a hit if hes turned down, and at the same time will make republicans look like idiots if they do. Its a very smart move.

Chess not checkers