Who is the true King of NY??

Options

Comments

• brombonze
    brombonze Members Posts: 406
    edited July 2010
    Options
    there is no King except Christopher "Frank White" Wallace! all other kings are straight imposters
  • P-Dogg77
    P-Dogg77 Members Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    From a business aspect it's Jay-Z.
  • j-boogie the cancer
    j-boogie the cancer Members Posts: 552 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    By default it's Jay-Z. Our true King died on March 9th, he said it from day one he was King of NY. Anybody else you have listed held the title at one time or the other but with no true consistency unlike Jay-Z. PPL may have there issuse with the man and his message at times but he is the only MC who truly keeps NY a presence in the game. Nas is a better MC but being King is not in his profile he is more of a messanger of the truths and ills of the game, Jada is the sentimental favorite but lack of sales and overall power in the game to make moves that would better him and and his crew, he doesnt have. 50 had the crown in his hands but ? it off by trying to be a dictator and was beheaded by Jada and D-Block, Nas, Game and countless others, ? tried to be Fidel Castro and is exiled to his own little G-Unit world. So for me it's Hova by default.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Jigga don't even make NY music. If you wanna get technical it should be Killa Cam. If we talking most skilled and best music it would be Nas. If we talking cross-over nation wide success then Jay.. but if we talkin bout New York its Cam'ron Giles.
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    50 votes. dead even between Nas & Jay.

As we all knew, it comes down to Nas and Jay, and then it's personal preference.
  • McGeeAKey
    McGeeAKey Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Jigga Man!! It's The Roc
  • tri3w
    tri3w Members Posts: 3,142 ✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    Jigga don't even make NY music. If you wanna get technical it should be Killa Cam. If we talking most skilled and best music it would be Nas. If we talking cross-over nation wide success then Jay.. but if we talkin bout New York its Cam'ron Giles.

u trippin.......Cam aint even Relevant now More lol..........King Of NY lol.........
  • bull6599
    bull6599 Members Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    SMH @ everybody forgettin about this dude...

derek-jeter-xm-radio.JPG

Who in NY won more than him???

But seriously it's only b/w jay & Nas IMO and thats a personal opinion who u choose, Cant go wrong w/ either though
  • T-Rel
    T-Rel Members Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Nas is the G.O.A.T.

i agree but jay is the king of NY imo
  • Mvpbrodie93
    Mvpbrodie93 Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    bull6599 wrote: »
    SMH @ everybody forgettin about this dude...

derek-jeter-xm-radio.JPG

Who in NY won more than him???

But seriously it's only b/w jay & Nas IMO and thats a personal opinion who u choose, Cant go wrong w/ either though
    The captain
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    brombonze wrote: »
    Christopher Wallace!

Everyone knows the one and only true king is The Notorious B.I.G., aka Biggie Smalls aka Frank White. But Biggie did past the torch to Jay Z by callaboin with him on 3 Classic songs. I felt on "I love the dough", Big was really passing the torch. NaS is right there, he's top 5 for sure but I don't think at any point he was the outright KING OF NY. In 94 though he dropped a masterpiece, it was still outshinned by Big with Ready To Die. He got shine in 96 but was overtaken by Tupac that year and Jay Z in later years. So the KONY starts with Big, then goes to Jay. so he got my vote. NaS won the battle with Jay Z no doubt, there's no disputing "Ether" was the better record and won the battle. But overall Jay to me has had a better overall career and carried the torch for Biggie the most. As arrogant and cocky Jay was, he still earned the crown and made many classic albums and songs on the process. At the end of the day Big will always be King, but alive, Jay has become weither people like it or not, The Heir to the throne.
  • Talk_Of_NY
    Talk_Of_NY Members Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Nas is top 3 dead or alive

but lets be real ? only voting from him cuz they think it makes them cool to vote for the lyrical/ more unground artist

Fifty ran it from 03-07 id say Jay go the crown again as of right now, but ya know my boy curtis be plotin some ? for 2011
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Everyone knows the one and only true king is The Notorious B.I.G., aka Biggie Smalls aka Frank White. But Biggie did past the torch to Jay Z by callaboin with him on 3 Classic songs. I felt on "I love the dough", Big was really passing the torch. NaS is right there, he's top 5 for sure but I don't think at any point he was the outright KING OF NY. In 94 though he dropped a masterpiece, it was still outshinned by Big with Ready To Die. He got shine in 96 but was overtaken by Tupac that year and Jay Z in later years. So the KONY starts with Big, then goes to Jay. so he got my vote. NaS won the battle with Jay Z no doubt, there's no disputing "Ether" was the better record and won the battle. But overall Jay to me has had a better overall career and carried the torch for Biggie the most. As arrogant and cocky Jay was, he still earned the crown and made many classic albums and songs on the process. At the end of the day Big will always be King, but alive, Jay has become weither people like it or not, The Heir to the throne.

real talk, best awnser
  • Talk_Of_NY
    edited July 2010
    Options
    i see the ghost of Christophorus wallace
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    dnyce215 wrote: »
    Nas is the king hands down how u goin 2 vote jay when is the most powerful man in hip-hop but dont change the culture by making real music to push out the bs they everybody is putting out Smh at u posters who voted jay

Cosign....
  • EmbezzelJayR
    EmbezzelJayR Members Posts: 1,052
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Amari Stoudemire King of NY lol

But I would pick Jay Z over Nas any day!
  • BobOblah
    BobOblah Members Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    Some people count rappers money and wives.... I only count music.

In terms of discography, Nas > ____________

not just NY either

Illmatic (1994)
    It Was Written (1996)
    The Firm: The Album (1997)
    I Am… (1999)
    Nastradamus (1999)
    Stillmatic (2001)
    ? 's Son (2002)
    The Lost Tapes (2002)
    Street's Disciple (2004)
    Hip Hop Is Dead (2006)
    Untitled (2008)
    Distant Relatives (2010)

Vs.

Reasonable Doubt (1996)
    In My Lifetime, Vol. 1 (1997)
    Vol. 2... Hard Knock Life (1998)
    Vol. 3... Life and Times of S. Carter (1999)
    The Dynasty: Roc La Familia (2000)
    The Blueprint (2001)
    The Blueprint²: The Gift & The Curse (2002)
    The Best of Both Worlds (2002)
    The Black Album (2003)
    Unfinished Business (2004)
    Collision Course (2004)
    Kingdom Come (2006)
    American Gangster (2007)
    The Blueprint 3 (2009)
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    King of NY is popularity contest. the fans pick the king, they picked big, they picked jay, it's not based on who's the better rapper because that is something nobody can agree on
  • Talk_Of_NY
    edited July 2010
    Options
    i would call tht ? jadakiss like a general of navy of something he cant b da king, but he could maybe be a war genereal or something ya smells me >?
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    dnyce215 wrote: »
    Nas is the king hands down how u goin 2 vote jay when is the most powerful man in hip-hop but dont change the culture by making real music to push out the bs they everybody is putting out Smh at u posters who voted jay
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Options
    i always thought it was close between nas and hov but when ether dropped, it was clear. nasir got dat crown.

"King'a The Town, Yeah I been That...You know I Click-Clack Where You And Your Men's At..."
  • ItsBboy!
    ItsBboy! Members Posts: 398 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I think the ladder of succession goes like this:

Jay-Z --> Nas
    [none?]
    > Diddy --> 50

If Jay died tomorrow the crown would belong to Nas...and rightfully so. Taking into account their current status and respectability of their music. After Nas...it's probably anybody's game really. But the 2 on the end would be the most likely candidates.
  • therealist_
    therealist_ Members Posts: 3,389 ✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Nas owns 2 GOAT NY Anthems : New York State of Mind part 1 & 2
  • shtoopid
    shtoopid Members Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2010
    Options
    sboogie wrote: »
    Bloomberg ? .

close thread
  • DaPrinciplez
    DaPrinciplez Members Posts: 1,148
    edited August 2010
    Options
    Talk_Of_NY wrote: »
    but lets be real ? only voting from him cuz they think it makes them cool to vote for the lyrical/ more unground artist

Thats evident.

Look at how many dudes got Nas as they avi and they votin for him, dudes with BIG in they avi are votin for BIG, dudes with Cam votin Cam......

It ain't that hard to get off a dudes nuts is it? I got Nas in my avi but I can still answer the question with the truth. Jay has the crown. It is what it is.

If you wanna argue that, go back and read my previous post in this thread, bout 3 pages back.

And SMH @ dudes sayin BIG is the King. What kind of hierarchy you ever known of to have one king forever, even after they die? You think they call the corpse the king? No, they establish a new one. Jay is that. If Hov die, Nas is that.

SMH @ People sayin you should only take the music into account too when deciding.....rappin doesnt make nobody king. Runnin ? makes a king.

Who runs NYC?.......you know the answer, so stop lyin to yaself.