NYPD Arrest Mailman For Making Deliveries

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2016 in The Social Lounge
Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams wants the NYPD to investigate the arrest of a postal worker caught on video in Crown Heights last week, an incident he said “could have been another Eric Garner situation.”

Adams, himself a former NYPD captain, stood with the 27-year-old worker, Glenn Grays, and his mother at borough hall on Tuesday to release a video of the March 17 arrest.

In it, Adams said Grays is seen in his United States Postal Service uniform, with a package in hand, being cuffed and lead away by at least four plainclothes officers from the 71st Precinct.

Adams said the officers made the arrest shortly after Grays told them off for nearly hitting him with their unmarked police car, which passed him as he was trying to cross President Street near Franklin Avenue on his mail route last Thursday.

“It is not a crime for someone to voice outrage after almost being struck by a vehicle,” Adams said, adding that “members of the New York City Police Department” should be aware that their actions are likely to end up on video nowadays.

“There is someone … called Steve Jobs. He invented this thing called iPhone. Millions of people purchased them. And they take pictures of cops that do things that are wrong,” he said.

Grays was issued a summons for disorderly conduct after the incident, Adams said, and declined to speak about the incident because of the pending case. But Grays mother, Sonya Sapp, a Fort Greene resident and mother of six, spoke for him.

“As soon as I saw the video, I immediately started crying because I worry about all my boys, every day, every minute, every second of every day,” she said.

“I raised him to be humble,” she said of Grays, holding back tears. “And if the cop could have just humbled himself and just let it go, it would have been a lot easier.”

“I’m just so sorry it happened,” she added.

Rachel Holliday Smith · DNAinfo Reporter
What do you think of the video of Glenn Grays' arrest?

Adams is calling on the police department to relieve the four officers in the video of plainclothes duty immediately and for the NYPD’s Internal Affairs Bureau to investigate the incident. The police department did not answer questions about the status of the officers involved, saying only in a written statement that “the matter is under internal review.”

On Tuesday, Adams praised Grays, who he said has never been arrested before, for keeping his cool during the “traumatizing” incident.

“This could have been another Eric Garner situation if Glenn would not have responded as calmly as he did," he said. "Haven’t we learned from Staten Island?”

He stressed that the video does not reflect the “thousands” of officers who do their job correctly, nor the mayor or police commissioner, who he praised for making “great strides” in police training. But, still, he described the actions in the video as “a relic of the past.”

“When you see the video that shows nothing went wrong, it’s hard to not believe that the only reason Glenn was handcuffed was because of the color of his skin,” he said

https://youtu.be/3jDDs-CzF5E

Comments

• powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He should get high 6 figures for this.... It's a felony to interfere with mail delivery. I wanna see this mans family retire from this. smh... they tried to nickel ride him too and ended up running into the back of another car. But hey blue lives matter right???? Here to protect you from junk mail and useless ass phone books...

source: @ 6:20
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_xndprCpm8
  • D. Morgan
    D. Morgan Members Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? up but....

LLS @ "FREE MY PACKAGE ? !!!"
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He should get high 6 figures for this.... It's a felony to interfere with mail delivery. I wanna see this mans family retire from this. smh... they tried to nickel ride him too and ended up running into the back of another car. But hey blue lives matter right???? Here to protect you from junk mail and useless ass phone books...

source: @ 6:20
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_xndprCpm8

good post.. they tried to nickel ride this ? and the dumb ? rear ended another car... u cant make this ? up.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It's a big deal for the media now because this guy is a postal worker and because it's on camera, but this type of ? happens in NY (and probably other hoods too) every ? ' day.

Of course he deserves to be compensated, and hell no those MFs don't deserve to be cops and should be locked the ? up.

And then you got people talking ? when the people they harass are glad (or give zero ? ) when they get killed.

@The Lonious Monk, let's talk about those "good cops".
  • LcnsdbyROYALTY
    LcnsdbyROYALTY Members Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Obligatory ? em
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Options
    7figz wrote: »
    It's a big deal for the media now because this guy is a postal worker and because it's on camera, but this type of ? happens in NY (and probably other hoods too) every ? ' day.

Of course he deserves to be compensated, and hell no those MFs don't deserve to be cops and should be locked the ? up.

And then you got people talking ? when the people they harass are glad (or give zero ? ) when they get killed.

This is obvious, but this doesn't prove that there are no good cops. How could it?
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This is obvious, but this doesn't prove that there are no good cops. How could it?

Man, shut the ? up.

Who said it did ? This is to show that if there are so few bad cops in relation to good cops, how come out of all the cops on the scene arresting this guy for something that is so "obviously" ? , that none of them happened to be "good" enough to stop the ? .
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    damn he a federal employee too
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What about them? There are tens of thousands of cops in the country. It's illogical to act like all of them are the same as the few that we hear pulling this ? . It's also illogical to celebrate the deaths of some cops because of what some other unrelated cops have done. Both of those things are just silly.

That said, I'm not one of the people in the "some cops are good camp." I believe some cops do their jobs better than others as with any other job, but the fact that even the ones that do that will cover up for the bad ones means they can't really be considered good either.
  • jetlifebih
    jetlifebih Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just a ? with a job....

Saggy pants, work uniform, or suit it don't matter....just a ? ....
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    i'll be tight if i had a important package being delivered that day and them cops ? it up
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Arrested for Working While Black

I think that's a new one
  • Valentinez A. Kaiser
    Valentinez A. Kaiser Members Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thankfully he didn't go postal...
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cops running around like some kind of oppressive gang. I feel for you over there. Truly ? up.
  • mrrealone
    mrrealone Members Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »
    This could have been another Eric Garner situation if Glenn would not have responded as calmly as he did," he said. "Haven’t we learned from Staten Island?”

Apparently not.......

Was he still wearing Girbauds tho??

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    This ? is wild foul, they couldn't just talk to the mailman about the incident? They had to arrest him as he's making deliveries?

? . All those cops need to get fired and charged with some felonies. But watch a punk ass prosecutor give these idiots a pass somehow.
  • Stiff
    Stiff Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I wonder if dude ever got his package
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    U R aware, Postal Carriers will be the next in line to legally arm themselves while on the job right? Supposed this brother woulda been strapped? Legally @ that. Gonna be interesting.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    rickmogul wrote: »
    U R aware, Postal Carriers will be the next in line to legally arm themselves while on the job right?
    will. never. happen.
  • rickmogul
    Options
    @Janklow. But remember we thought college students and potentially professors would never be able to carry either. It's not even an argument anymore and just accepted as " the way it is or a sign of the times." We're reverting back to a Cowboy justice country.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    rickmogul wrote: »
    @Janklow. But remember we thought college students and potentially professors would never be able to carry either. It's not even an argument anymore and just accepted as " the way it is or a sign of the times." We're reverting back to a Cowboy justice country.
    well, college students and professors can't carry around here. we've made the former DOUBLE prohibited.

but the difference is, they're carrying as personal citizens. postal carriers are not going to be sanctioned to carry on duty.
  • rickmogul
    Options
  • rickmogul
    Options
    @janklow .... They've been batting 1000% with the predictions. I do not see this one not coming to pass but we'll see.