What is the best way to find a new job?

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Fosheezy
    Fosheezy Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fosheezy wrote: »
    Smh 3 offers on the table. All within the same day of course. And each one of would be a potential good fit for what i'm trying to do with my career. I am undecided and never really dealt with this before.

2 of the offers is in finance and the other one is in design. There's things I really like (but don't love) about working in finance and there are things I love (but don't necessarily like) about design. The design offer isn't paying what my true market value is, but the guy was at least willing to bump up the starting pay to my minimum pay requirements, also with guaranteed room for growth as well. It's not a super cool name brand company like Nike or nothing - just a mom and pop shop basically, but after talking to the guy I became sympathetic to what he's trying to do (the business would really benefit from having a candidate like me with my skill set on board and he wants them to stick around) and told him i'd accept the offer for the position to start next week.

Soon after I left the interview I check my email and 2 other people reach out to me with offers - one of which was referred to me by brother at church - in a field I've been shooting for the past few weeks with no luck until now. I'm pretty sure both the offers have way higher earning potential from the gate. I want to at least see what the offers is all about with respect to them both considering me for the opportunity, but I'm feeling some kinda way since I pretty much already gave the other dude a commitment to start (although no guarantees to stay long term).

I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle this. What NOT to do in this situation? I already emailed one of the lady's and told her to call me today.

I would follow up on all job offers as far as you can or at least for enough time for you to decide what you really want.

Me personally, and this is coming from a job hopper so take it for what it is....I would take the offer that starts first just to get some money rolling in and if something better comes along jump ship and go with that.

but if you got some kinda personal moral issue with that then go with what feels right to you.
    Yea made up my mind and decided to stick with the design job since he gave me what I asked for and I gave him my commitment to start already. Paid weekly. Weekends off. Plus I'd be like in a creative director role and like my own boss. No manager to worry about. And he'll let me run the shop myself once he teach me everything. I think it might be good move for me on long term. At least for now
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've been missing in action from the IC for awhile; just trying to prepare & prep myself for the next venture. I am very closed to finalizing my deal to my next location. I am pushing for a strong campaign to move out to Nashville. I'm riding out there this weekend to get a feel for the city. Only thing I'm going to hate is probably moving in the middle of the college semester, so I gotta see how many credits can I transfer over. I gotta change up the scenery, get a smell of fresh air in a new city.
  • Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    Kat wrote: »
    After actively looking for a job for the past couple months, the best way to find a job is to know someone.

I guess that's what makes networking crucial.

It really REALLY is. Unfortunately for me im pretty anti social. Maybe i will look into a job fair or something if i hear of one coming around. I dont need a job, but i definitely dont care to do what im doing for the rest of my life. Or with the company for that matter, cant see anything above me that i would enjoy either.

I'm the same way. I finally swallowed my pride and put it out there on FB that I was looking for leads. My old boss happened to see it and told me to submit my resume to the company she had just started working for..she basically got me in the door. People want someone to vouch for you.

Good references are important.
  • osheytvhq
    osheytvhq Members, Banned Users Posts: 11
    Options
    wow... i love all this dope hip-hop ? i'm seeing here http://osheytv.com
  • osheytvhq
    osheytvhq Members, Banned Users Posts: 11
    Options
    wow... i love all this dope hip-hop ? i'm seeing here http://osheytv.com
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lou_Cypher wrote: »
    After actively looking for a job for the past couple months, the best way to find a job is to know someone.

I guess that's what makes networking crucial.

It really REALLY is. Unfortunately for me im pretty anti social. Maybe i will look into a job fair or something if i hear of one coming around. I dont need a job, but i definitely dont care to do what im doing for the rest of my life. Or with the company for that matter, cant see anything above me that i would enjoy either.

I'm the same way. I finally swallowed my pride and put it out there on FB that I was looking for leads. My old boss happened to see it and told me to submit my resume to the company she had just started working for..she basically got me in the door. People want someone to vouch for you.

Good references are important.

I did the exact same thing on FB as well. I have a temporary job because of it, still looking for a permanent tho.
    I believe it's not just networking with people, it's also the area you're in. Definitely have to be around the area where your market is.
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Pick one and lie yo ass off like Hunkies do. ? ya way through it. Think I told y'all. Gig I got now? Went in: Pumas no socks, golf shirt no tie and leaned back sooooo comfortable with the panel of Hunkies I Interviewed with. ? it, it's a job out there for ya. Don't kiss no ass and u'll find ya fit. Corporate job by the way, I don't do physical labor.
  • Aztec_Kang
    Aztec_Kang Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I recommend monster.com
  • amitwizzi
    amitwizzi Members Posts: 2
    Options
    Have you ever thought of visiting the Hottest site for Hip-Hop and Afro-Pop SONGS/Celebrity Gists
    Visit https://HitNaija.com || https://HitNaija.com/tag/justin-bieber || https://HitNaija.com/tag/meek-mill
  • amitwizzi
    amitwizzi Members Posts: 2
    Options
    Have you ever thought of visiting the Hottest site for Hip-Hop and Afro-Pop SONGS/Celebrity Gists
    Visit https://HitNaija.com || https://HitNaija.com/tag/justin-bieber || https://HitNaija.com/tag/meek-mill
  • DoctorDre
    DoctorDre Members Posts: 3
    Options
    I would start by creating a unique design of my CV and apply directly to the posts I am interested in , going directly to big companies or sending them my CV
  • SimplyKrys
    SimplyKrys Members Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Well, as of right now I am still looking for work. I haven't had an interview since the end of May and can't wait for my next one. Having a journalism degree is tough. It's really about who you know.
  • $ineedmoney$
    $ineedmoney$ Members Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Whenever you get an interview with a big company, make sure no one else is around. I had an interview recently with a huge company, it was a hangouts interview with 3 top dogs. My sister decided to bring her kids for lunch while I was doing it and her son kept coming into the video and I didn't get it. They basically told me, due to background noise and kids running around, you will not be offered the position.

[img]https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2017-03/14/15/asset/buzzfeed-? -fastlane-03/anigif_sub-buzz-19028-1489518168-3.gif[/IMG]
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have been in hospitality for the last 7 years and have grown disenchanted with it. Made supervisor at my last gig with comfortable pay that helped me back my side hustles like my freelance writing gigs and ? .

Then the parent company shut it down cause of high rent and space limitations (it was in expensive ass times square). They are looking for a new bigger locale to open in the winter. Since I rather work than collect unemployment I agreed to something where Im making about 500 dollars less per month. In NYC that goes a long way but I decided to bite the bullet for now and see if I stack a few stacks working at this place until the new year.

I might have to start looking into federal jobs in the meantime since they're more stable. At least till I could fully transition into my real industry of choice with ease. What are good sites for those listing? And what would be suggested to be highlighted on a resume for someone looking to transition into that job sector with no experience?
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Well I've pretty much have given up on looking for a job and I'm thinking about taking a few classes at the college I graduated from and entering in the entrepreneur program early next year.

My problem is I have a physical impairment and I've been dealing with my vocational rehabilitation for about near 1yr 1/2 and all they have sent me through is a bunch of job training programs in that time with only 1 "interview" and that was in the spring. Idk one company that does interviews in an apartment complex. Shady ass ? .

I done been through so much ? dealing with this VR place it ain't even funny. Then to make it worse these jobs are very unrealistic if you're someone with a disability.
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As I talked about a lot in a Dave Ramsey thread I want to get out of debt. It is certainly tougher when you have a newborn son and added expenses such as your car breaking down. I did my budget again and by the end of the year depending on how much of a tax return I get and put in to my debt which is my car, I would still be between two and $3,000 short.

I welcome any suggestions regarding part time work because if I can make at least $500 a month that would be massive because the more I make in the part-time, the better obviously. I could be out of debt by Thanksgiving or ideally sooner.
  • Young_Chitlin
    Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    willhustle wrote: »
    Well I've pretty much have given up on looking for a job and I'm thinking about taking a few classes at the college I graduated from and entering in the entrepreneur program early next year.

My problem is I have a physical impairment and I've been dealing with my vocational rehabilitation for about near 1yr 1/2 and all they have sent me through is a bunch of job training programs in that time with only 1 "interview" and that was in the spring. Idk one company that does interviews in an apartment complex. Shady ass ? .

I done been through so much ? dealing with this VR place it ain't even funny. Then to make it worse these jobs are very unrealistic if you're someone with a disability.

@2stepz_ahead @traestar @Cinco @Sion
  • Cinco
    Cinco Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 5,097 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @willhustle nah don't give up. Circle Back to any context that you have made and also think of new places u can apply that your disability doesn't limit u to.

For the entrepreneur classes I would ask myself do u need those to start what u want. Whatever your business is, u can follow a blueprint of someone that already has done it. What I'm saying is the classes won't give u an idea for a biz. U may just end need to use your hustle skills and get that MVP - minimal value product, out there
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@2stepz_ahead @traestar @Cinco @Sion

Right now I'm working as a Help Desk Temp. I'm fortunate to have a job around my field in my area. It took me 2 years exactly to land an IT job again. I focused my energy on working in Philly, landing a web developer job at a hospital. But after 7 months, I was back on the street because they didn't renew my contract.

I've been through so many things the last 5 years trying to land a job...and that's just for looking in my web/software development field.

The first thing I've done is to at least focus on a particular career path and what it took to get in that field. And then start talking and networking with people who are in these positions to see how they got in.

My issue to this day is being stuck in an area that doesn't have a high competitive market for my skills. Which is why I'm focusing on major areas like Philly, NY, Delaware, and DC to land positions.

I'd say focus on an skill that you believe you could bring the most value or something that you're good at, then find a career path around that area and stick to it. If that doesn't work, try another skill.