What field are u in if u dont mind me asking
    Qiv_Owan wrote: »
    @SimplyKrys

Congrats

What field are u in if u dont mind me asking

My degree is in journalism.
  • hoodsavior
    hoodsavior Members Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in a tight spot.. I'm over the food industry as far as day to day and looking for a change.. Talk about eggs in one basket smh..
  • jniam
    jniam Members Posts: 623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IC hope you guys have a good Fall season coming up.

I'm starting to get offers and some potential job opportunities. Recruiting season is slowly peaking, by mid to late October interview season will be in full swing. It's already started honestly.

Right now I have:

Cincinnati, OH
    Clevland, OH
    Denver, CO
    Juno Beach, FL
    Orlando, FL

I chase opportunity, not location, so if there's good potential for me to grow at any of the aforementioned places then I'll run with it. But from the list above which city is on the rise or has the opportunity for growth. Ideally I'd stay at one of these places (assuming I don't get any other offers, again, still early in the recruiting season) for 2-3 years (I'm 21) so I can get my US citizenship then move to my preferred hubs eg DC, Chicago, ATL, Houston, NYC, Philly, Baltimore for another 2-3 years then go international. Of course, this is all ? willing.

Which has a decent, social scene for a young Nigerian, decent cost of living and relatively safe (If I have to buy a gun then forget it)
  • SimplyKrys
    SimplyKrys Members Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    [quote="hoodsavior;9372288"]I'm in a tight spot.. I'm over the food industry as far as day to day and looking for a change.. Talk about eggs in one basket smh..[/quote]

I'm having the same problem. I'm currently working in the food industry but I'm looking for something higher paying. But not much luck so far.
  • hoodsavior
    hoodsavior Members Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SimplyKrys wrote: »
    [quote="hoodsavior;9372288"]I'm in a tight spot.. I'm over the food industry as far as day to day and looking for a change.. Talk about eggs in one basket smh..

I'm having the same problem. I'm currently working in the food industry but I'm looking for something higher paying. But not much luck so far.
    [/quote]

As far as a job I'm over it.. Losing the love for it.. I'll.do catering when I want some money real quick but I'm done with the hours and ? .. At 31 I'm just not sure what I want to do.. Trucking is an opportunity for me cause of the money and how quickly I can get it done.. I'm just mad I put my all into cooking cause of the passion I had for it and don't want to do it anymore.. Maybe I need to talk to somebody about careers for old ? tryna switch lol
  • bornagkn33us
    bornagkn33us Members Posts: 144 ✭✭
    silverfoxx wrote: »
    If any of y'all can be useful as references or knows really job openings that's MARTA friendly in Atlanta, I ask please DM me or post in here. If I'm blessed with a good opportunity, I promise you guys that I will certainly look out for y'all since I want all of my brothers to win.

You tried State Farm? I think the hub there is right by a MARTA station.
  • SimplyKrys
    SimplyKrys Members Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    hoodsavior wrote: »
    [quote="hoodsavior;9372288"]I'm in a tight spot.. I'm over the food industry as far as day to day and looking for a change.. Talk about eggs in one basket smh..

As far as a job I'm over it.. Losing the love for it.. I'll.do catering when I want some money real quick but I'm done with the hours and ? .. At 31 I'm just not sure what I want to do.. Trucking is an opportunity for me cause of the money and how quickly I can get it done.. I'm just mad I put my all into cooking cause of the passion I had for it and don't want to do it anymore.. Maybe I need to talk to somebody about careers for old ? tryna switch lol[/quote]

This made me laugh hard...But on a serious note it's crazy how people go to school for one thing and end up doing something else. That's the route I may have to go.

• skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    If any of y'all can be useful as references or knows really job openings that's MARTA friendly in Atlanta, I ask please DM me or post in here. If I'm blessed with a good opportunity, I promise you guys that I will certainly look out for y'all since I want all of my brothers to win.

MARTA is hiring @silverfoxx . There headquarters are across from Lindbergh station. They also have jobs and other centers at the train stations. They are expanding in all directions and will be hiring a lot of people. The furst big push will be in N Fulton. There also looking to expand eastward in Dekalb and possibly extending the west line to Fulton Industrial. That doesn't even include the recent ClayCo expansion. They're not expecting to lay rail in Clayton until the early 2020s. Either way MARTA is expanding and looking to hire. I just had an interview the other day. They've requested a second interview. Im just waiting to get a confirmation on the date and time.
  • TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Got an offer for a new job. I'm not mad at the amount since it's within the range I had already determined I would negotiate to.

Question for y'all: negotiate no matter what or accept if it's within your acceptable range?

Any negotiation tips?
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I'm in a tight spot.. I'm over the food industry as far as day to day and looking for a change.. Talk about eggs in one basket smh..

Yeah I'm in a tight spot myself and I'm trying to work with this vocational rehabilitation place that help people with disabilities (I have Cerebral Palsy) and other issues but I feel like I'm getting the run around. I have a degree where I can work in the Administrative Asst. position but when you go online (they don't want you to call) these companies want 2-5+ yrs of experience and type 40-90wpm at entry-level. With my disability I can't keep up at that pace.

I been thinking about going back to school for accounting [being that I would only need 4-5 classes from another degree] but I wonder if it's worth the time. My thing is at 34, I'm not trying to start over from scratch. A family friend wanted me to get into another job training program different from the one I'm in but I'll probably end up starting a new avenue from scratch again which I don't want to start from scratch.

So I'm at a loss.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    charles2 wrote: »
    Got an offer for a new job. I'm not mad at the amount since it's within the range I had already determined I would negotiate to.

Question for y'all: negotiate no matter what or accept if it's within your acceptable range?

Any negotiation tips?

It's not an end sum game, if they're offering enough for your liking, accept the offer. To make sure you're on point with your range and not selling yourself short, do some research on how much the average person in your position makes and adjust accordingly if need be.
  • TheNightKing

Any negotiation tips?

It's not an end sum game, if they're offering enough for your liking, accept the offer. To make sure you're on point with your range and not selling yourself short, do some research on how much the average person in your position makes and adjust accordingly if need be.

The average person is $10k less per year. Top 25% of salaries are around my offer. Can't hurt to ask though, right?
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any negotiation tips?

The average person is $10k less per year. Top 25% of salaries are around my offer. Can't hurt to ask though, right?

I'm sure you already did this, but make sure you filter by location when checking average salaries. Someone in LA will have a much higher offer than someone in Jackson, Mississippi for the same job, due to cost of living.

... Personally, I've never negotiated pass my acceptable range, as once I reached it, I was ready to sign. Absolute worst case scenario, you press and they withdraw the offer.

If they make it clear that's as high as they can go, will you shift the topic from salary to vacation or signing bonus or will you just buckle and say okay? How strong is your positioning, do you have other offers on the table? How specialized is your field/experience? All of these things should be taken into consideration before deciding how hard you want to counter, if at all.
  • TheNightKing

Any negotiation tips?

I'm sure you already did this, but make sure you filter by location when checking average salaries. Someone in LA will have a much higher offer than someone in Jackson, Mississippi for the same job, due to cost of living.

... Personally, I've never negotiated pass my acceptable range, as once I reached it, I was ready to sign. Absolute worst case scenario, you press and they withdraw the offer.

If they make it clear that's as high as they can go, will you shift the topic from salary to vacation or signing bonus or will you just buckle and say okay? How strong is your positioning, do you have other offers on the table? How specialized is your field/experience? All of these things should be taken into consideration before deciding how hard you want to counter, if at all.

Good points! I am looking at averages in my specific city. If it's as high as they will go then I'm good with all they are offering. I wouldn't think they would withdraw their offer if I countered, but maybe just say this is our highest and best. Then I would accept. I just don't want to leave anything on the table.

Anybody ever have an offer withdrawn when they counter?
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any negotiation tips?

Good points! I am looking at averages in my specific city. If it's as high as they will go then I'm good with all they are offering. I wouldn't think they would withdraw their offer if I countered, but maybe just say this is our highest and best. Then I would accept. I just don't want to leave anything on the table.

Also depends on your experience...if youre worth more then companies have no problem paying you more

One company asked my range and i told the 48-50k..they were like 'we're gonna bring you in at 52k'

Was all good till that background check question
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as a job I'm over it.. Losing the love for it.. I'll.do catering when I want some money real quick but I'm done with the hours and ? .. At 31 I'm just not sure what I want to do.. Trucking is an opportunity for me cause of the money and how quickly I can get it done.. I'm just mad I put my all into cooking cause of the passion I had for it and don't want to do it anymore.. Maybe I need to talk to somebody about careers for old ? tryna switch lol

This made me laugh hard...But on a serious note it's crazy how people go to school for one thing and end up doing something else. That's the route I may have to go.

[/quote]

I might end up doing the same thing as well.
  • Beefer77
    Beefer77 Members Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭
    Qiv_Owan wrote: »

Any negotiation tips?

Also depends on your experience...if youre worth more then companies have no problem paying you more

One company asked my range and i told the 48-50k..they were like 'we're gonna bring you in at 52k'

Was all good till that background check question

What are your charges?
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    <3 my new job, I'm getting bread and it's a fun ass job. I'm actually learning and doing stuff that I went to school for

I'm really happy for you bro. Your success is inspiring me. I can recall you was telling me the stuff you went to school for, and its good to know you got your dream brother. Congratulations man!
    Max. wrote: »
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    <3 my new job, I'm getting bread and it's a fun ass job. I'm actually learning and doing stuff that I went to school for

B)

hell yea ? yea
  • TheNightKing

Any negotiation tips?

To answer my own question, it absolutely doesn't hurt to ask! Countered at $6k more than initial offer. They then countered back with $4k more than initial offer.

And a $5k signing bonus.

And an additional week of vacation.

And I keep the 10% annual bonus from the initial offer.

And I didn't have to plead my case at all. ? is good!
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Just finished up a interview for position I really wanted. I won't front I was kinda nervous at first but calmed down and mellowed out. It's up to the operations manager now to let me know if I got it or not. She seems really into me so I've been praying heavy on it. I met the Manager and recruiter of Atlanta.

It's been a Looooooooooong year for me man so im trusting ? will see me through with getting this position.
  • silverfoxx
    skpjr78 wrote: »

MARTA is hiring @silverfoxx . There headquarters are across from Lindbergh station. They also have jobs and other centers at the train stations. They are expanding in all directions and will be hiring a lot of people. The furst big push will be in N Fulton. There also looking to expand eastward in Dekalb and possibly extending the west line to Fulton Industrial. That doesn't even include the recent ClayCo expansion. They're not expecting to lay rail in Clayton until the early 2020s. Either way MARTA is expanding and looking to hire. I just had an interview the other day. They've requested a second interview. Im just waiting to get a confirmation on the date and time.

Thanks for drop man. Excellent news.
  • silverfoxx

You tried State Farm? I think the hub there is right by a MARTA station.

Ive applied three times with state farm. Depending on the distance i can only apply for Marta friendly positions until I get my car.
  • silverfoxx

Any negotiation tips?

To answer my own question, it absolutely doesn't hurt to ask! Countered at $6k more than initial offer. They then countered back with $4k more than initial offer.

And a $5k signing bonus.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your profession?
  • TheNightKing

Any negotiation tips?

And a $5k signing bonus.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your profession?

I'm currently a financial risk management analyst, soon to be an accounting manager. I have an MBA and CPA with experience managing large teams so that allows me a lot of flexibility in my career.