• Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Beefer77 wrote: »
    Qiv_Owan wrote: »
    charles2 wrote: »
    Got an offer for a new job. I'm not mad at the amount since it's within the range I had already determined I would negotiate to.

Question for y'all: negotiate no matter what or accept if it's within your acceptable range?

Any negotiation tips?

It's not an end sum game, if they're offering enough for your liking, accept the offer. To make sure you're on point with your range and not selling yourself short, do some research on how much the average person in your position makes and adjust accordingly if need be.

The average person is $10k less per year. Top 25% of salaries are around my offer. Can't hurt to ask though, right?

I'm sure you already did this, but make sure you filter by location when checking average salaries. Someone in LA will have a much higher offer than someone in Jackson, Mississippi for the same job, due to cost of living.

... Personally, I've never negotiated pass my acceptable range, as once I reached it, I was ready to sign. Absolute worst case scenario, you press and they withdraw the offer.

If they make it clear that's as high as they can go, will you shift the topic from salary to vacation or signing bonus or will you just buckle and say okay? How strong is your positioning, do you have other offers on the table? How specialized is your field/experience? All of these things should be taken into consideration before deciding how hard you want to counter, if at all.

Good points! I am looking at averages in my specific city. If it's as high as they will go then I'm good with all they are offering. I wouldn't think they would withdraw their offer if I countered, but maybe just say this is our highest and best. Then I would accept. I just don't want to leave anything on the table.

Anybody ever have an offer withdrawn when they counter?

Also depends on your experience...if youre worth more then companies have no problem paying you more

One company asked my range and i told the 48-50k..they were like 'we're gonna bring you in at 52k'

Was all good till that background check question

What are your charges?

Housing and manufacturing

Transport

2 years apart
  • SimplyKrys
    SimplyKrys Members Posts: 763 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm considering getting job #2 or getting a side hustle. Someone let me know what are some good side hustles? (Nothing illegal)
  • Qiv_Owan
    Options
    SimplyKrys wrote: »
    I'm considering getting job #2 or getting a side hustle. Someone let me know what are some good side hustles? (Nothing illegal)

Apps like Wonolo (general jobs) and Field Nation (IT skills)

Financial Advisor
    Stocks
    Uber/Lyft
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Current job offered me a promotion of sorts...I took it....I just got an email from a job in Memphis I applied to asking for an interview...I feel like ? ause if they offer me a job I'm taking it
  • TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Current job offered me a promotion of sorts...I took it....I just got an email from a job in Memphis I applied to asking for an interview...I feel like ? ause if they offer me a job I'm taking it

My view is that employers have no loyalty, so why should I? I'm not jumping jobs every year, but after 2-3 years I'm on the lookout for that better opportunity, whether it's internal or external.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I been applying daily to jobs since March no interviews just testing for jobs and passing them with nothing but denials. Hopefully something comes up soon
  • Qiv_Owan
    Options
    Reesey wrote: »
    Being responsible for hiring my Net Ops team of over 30 folks spanning across the US. I've seen, In my opinion, that the first step to securing employment is to look great on paper.

Sad, but true. The hiring manager does not know you from Adam/Eve and you are but a needle in a hay stack.

Here are a few key pointers that helped whom I hired get recognized and eventually a spot within the company.
    1. Make your resume stand out
    2. Get right to the point. Emphasis the skills needed for the particular job you are applying for. For example, I have like 7 different resumes that I interchange/edit depending on what field/job in which I am applying for .
    3. K.I.S.S - Keep It Simple Stupid. Harsh, but the best advise I have implemented in my own career search thus far. with hundreds of applicants a day, hiring managers do not have the desire nor the time to sit there and read paragraphs and pages of ones 'entire' work history. Short and sweet.
    4. Follow up with a call. After you submit your resume if you do not hear from someone within 2 business days, give the company a call and try to reach the hiring manager for that position. Be sure to have as much information regarding the position as possible to assist with locating that particular manager. If you are able to reach them directly, consider this your 'first interview' and treat it as such.
    5. CONFIDENCE!! If you do not believe in yourself, why would anyone else. Walk into interviews with the mentality that you are doing that company a "favor" by even 'considering" them to be your employer.
    6. You are interviewing them as much as they are you, so do your research, ask questions and be sure to keep that confidence going.

Craziest question that I was asked at the end of an interview was " Do you see any reason, at this time, that would prevent or make you hesitant to hire me?"

I was without words and had to sit down and actually think about it. On his application he stated that he did not have a vehicle- when I pointed it out and explained that this position would require him to have reliable transportation, he was able to explain his position.

This may seem odd but it is good practice because it allows for YOU to clear any confusion and/or answer any questions that may arise without you being present when they go over their interview notes.

At the end of the day, positive thinking and beliefs prevail. If a company chooses to go with another candidate , it's their loss.

** for the record, i did hire that guy and he is still with that company even after I left. lol!

More for #4

Resumes are parsed for keywords and the narrowed down to a top 3,5, people or whatever the company desires amd from there the interviews begin

In the IT field Ive experienced anywhere from 8 minutes to 4 month on a call back time..some companies accept resumes and check back in months later when theyre hiring, hoping you have some significant updates in ur work history or skillset

Keep updating ur resume no matter how little the change, embellishing is fine but dont lie
  • whatevathehell
    Options
    Thought I did well on the interview in Memphis but apparently not cause they did not I askk me back for a second one. Feeling down but IRma Still keep looking for the money I want. They had something new at the interview. They did two problem solving sessions where every attendee was given different pieces information with a common goal. We all had to come together with what had to reach the goal...I thought it was pretty neat. That job would have been over 26 an hour. For a blue collar grunt like me that would have been awesome pay..***hits up indeed***
  • whatevathehell
    Options
    Thought I did well on the interview in Memphis but apparently not cause they did not I askk me back for a second one. Feeling down but IRma Still keep looking for the money I want. They had something new at the interview. They did two problem solving sessions where every attendee was given different pieces information with a common goal. We all had to come together with what had to reach the goal...I thought it was pretty neat. That job would have been over 26 an hour. For a blue collar grunt like me that would have been awesome pay..***hits up indeed***

Nvmd... I just got called for the second interview
  • whatevathehell
    Options
    okay, now I need some advice....I received and accpeted an offer from the job I was posting however I dont want to leave my current company on bad terms....I actually want to leave the door open for possible reemployment. I usually just say ? it and move on with my life when it comes to these companies but the pay is good and the benefits are awesome. what is the best way for me to approach management about leaving? I dont start my new job until the beginning of december.

There is a strong possibility I might stick with my current company...after going back and forth to memphis quite a bit over the past couple of weeks the more I see of the city makes me appreciate my city(charlotte) better.
  • Qiv_Owan
    Options
    okay, now I need some advice....I received and accpeted an offer from the job I was posting however I dont want to leave my current company on bad terms....I actually want to leave the door open for possible reemployment. I usually just say ? it and move on with my life when it comes to these companies but the pay is good and the benefits are awesome. what is the best way for me to approach management about leaving? I dont start my new job until the beginning of december.

There is a strong possibility I might stick with my current company...after going back and forth to memphis quite a bit over the past couple of weeks the more I see of the city makes me appreciate my city(charlotte) better.

Whats the potential for growth for each company
  • whatevathehell
    Options
    Qiv_Owan wrote: »

Whats the potential for growth for each company

Stronger with the new company pay wise
  • Qiv_Owan
    Options
    I mean career wise
  • rickmogul
    rickmogul Members Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @skpjr78 ...Flood the net with resumes. Any damn job what you looking for and up! I've been corporate all my life and it ain't as hard 2 get in as u think. 1) Tweek ya resume, embellish a bit too! They do it everyday all day. 2) Use a buddy as a reference if you not sure how the old gig will speak on u. Only a few ?'s they can ask anyway. Give ya man a brief script and that'll handle that when they call. 3) Once onboard ALWAYS grab some company letterhead ( don't date it) and big ya self up in ya position as if a manager or director wrote it. Chess, not checkers. Date it when you leave that position 4 a new company. Regarding the interview, it's just a conversation. ? all that drink water, breathe ? . He's a man just like you or if she's a woman smile! Here's a jewel: Had a wayyy up the food chain director tell me " Keep that smile, it'll take u further than U know!". And it did! See it as a " smiling ? " if u want too! You'll find ya self in a position that requires more education than U have but " they like u.". Thats all its about. Alot of white folks wanna help brothers man I've found. Gotta Master that craft and believe me, when u do sky is the limit. U got this, No " Good Luck" needed fam. Do u!
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You would be best served to not slack off at all and let management know no sooner than 2 weeks before you're ready to leave.

That's professional courtesy and no respecting person will hold it against you that you want to make a career change.
  • Qiv_Owan
    Options
    Drop the price of ur soul so we can judge you
  • imma_stoner08
    imma_stoner08 Members Posts: 25
    Options
    Okay survey says the best way to find a job is to look for it lmao mfs talking bout they need a job but no applying themselves lmmfao
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    silverfoxx wrote: »
    If any of y'all can be useful as references or knows really job openings that's MARTA friendly in Atlanta, I ask please DM me or post in here. If I'm blessed with a good opportunity, I promise you guys that I will certainly look out for y'all since I want all of my brothers to win.

I just accepted an offer with MARTA @silverfoxx . The pay is good. A ballot initiative passed on Tuesday for MARTA funding and they will be doing a lot of hiring. They are preparing for their largest expansion in history. A lot their jobs including their headquarters are MARTA friendly. Check them out bro.
  • silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    silverfoxx wrote: »
    If any of y'all can be useful as references or knows really job openings that's MARTA friendly in Atlanta, I ask please DM me or post in here. If I'm blessed with a good opportunity, I promise you guys that I will certainly look out for y'all since I want all of my brothers to win.

I just accepted an offer with MARTA @silverfoxx . The pay is good. A ballot initiative passed on Tuesday for MARTA funding and they will be doing a lot of hiring. They are preparing for their largest expansion in history. A lot their jobs including their headquarters are MARTA friendly. Check them out bro.

Thanks fam ! I'm on it now .*Daps*
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Options
    I'm an hourly employee for the first time in a decade or so. I'll be getting overtime and holiday pay for the first time in a long time.

? that salary ? . The only way salary is a win is if you have an acceptable salary and you never work over 40 hours. If you have anything other than both you're losing. On paper I had a damn good salary but in terms of reality I got ? . I worked an average of 55 extremely stressful hours per week and didn't get one ? dime of overtime or holiday pay. I was eligible for an end of year bonus but they had it set up so that you could never get it.

My large salary wasnt shot when you factored the average hours/week. My new hourly pay is 20% higher than my equalivent hourly pay on my previous salaried job. Long story short I can make the same amount of money working 45 less stressful hours/week as I did working 55 extremely stressful hours/week. Drastically reducing your stress level and having 2 more hours of free time per work day is a big ? deal. You cant put a price on quality of life and mine has just drastically improved. All praises due to Allah.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Since Ive lost my job I restructured my resume at least 4 times to get it just right but Im still not landing interviews this ? is the woat