Its Time We're Honest with DPG's Dogg Food

D0wn
D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
Dogg Food was the best album on Death Row
Dogg Food >>>>>>>>> Chronic, ? , All Eyez On Me, Makaveli....

R-1613538-1316539369.jpeg.jpg

All Four Albums respectively From Pac, Snoop And Dre are all Iconic great albums that impacted the genre of Music due to their cultural importance. Yet Musically track for track, The Dogg Pound album >>>>>>

Comments

• D0wn
    edited March 2016
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i Members Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might be right, I still feel like Daz and Kurupt never really lived up to the high expectations a lot of people had for them because of that album. It was so dope, I know a lot of that was because DR imploded and they split up and linked back up, but they had that magic on this album tho. They was raw and the marketing was all street.
  • D0wn
    edited March 2016
    SELASI_i wrote: »
    You might be right, I still feel like Daz and Kurupt never really lived up to the high expectations a lot of people had for them because of that album. It was so dope, I know a lot of that was because DR imploded and they split up and linked back up, but they had that magic on this album tho. They was raw and the marketing was all street.

Co Sign. The Album was perfect from start to finish, Kurrupt had the bars, and Daz had the flow. production wise, it was ONE of the best fom start to finish, for an album that came out in the 90's . And honestly it has aged better than Chronic and ? ..
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D0wn wrote: »
    Dogg Food was the best album on Death Row
    Dogg Food >>>>>>>>> Chronic, ? , All Eyez On Me, Makaveli....

All Four Albums respectively From Pac, Snoop And Dre are all Iconic great albums that impacted the genre of Music due to their cultural importance. Yet Musically track for track, The Dogg Pound album >>>>>>

I will rank it above All Eyez On Me but not above the others.

ESPECIALLY ?
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I go back and listen to "Dogs day Afternoon" and the way Kurupt black the ? out on that song smh

I bumped it like a week ago and ? almost gave me the chillz

"Reality"and "Dog pound Gangsta's" also. You almost have to be a def man to not appreciate those. And SELASI_i I know what you mean about the rawness, it was like the Westcoast version of Mobb Deep's Infamous in that way as far as the album resonating with street cats and goons.

I will say this tho

Doggpound follow ups were never really able to do what Dogfood did but both Daz and Kurupt as solo artist were able to make classic songs still so they still are certifide legends.
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some Bomb Azz ? >>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • nc81
    nc81 Members Posts: 251 ✭✭
    Ive been telling ? this
  • colton
    colton Members Posts: 531 ✭✭✭✭
    maybe the best album lyrically on the label along with All Eyez On Me IMO
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New York New York, let's play house and reality still get spins to this day. Classic
  • moyo
    moyo Members Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Pac coming home around the time this album dropped hurt this album's legacy, simply because Suge put all of his resources into Pac and promoting pac and didn't help extend Dogg food's run longer than it could have. They only released 2 songs as singles and they only had 2 videos. If they could have released another video or two for this album I think it would have gotten the props that it truly deserved.
  • EyeofAsaru
    EyeofAsaru Members Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    It's a classic no doubt but I can't rank it above the others mentioned especially makaveli.Dogg food theme wise was mostly gangsta,pimps, and hoes which gets stale to me very quickly..To me kurupts solo album "streetz is a ? " is better than Dogg food..It had more cups of raw hip hop lyrical content added and classic organized noize production.I remember he got the source hip hop quotable of the month for his verse on trylogy,which is sick af and rival his best bars on dogg food

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GyV459vlWVE
  • pachá12
    pachá12 Members Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its not better than ? , but it doea have the other albums beat. The crazy part is that the common bond between all except Makavelli is that Daz, who is one of the greatest producers ever, had a hand in all of them. Suge said that Daz really produced ? , but was given money to ghost produce it for Dr. Dre. For all the East Coast West Coast stuff, I appreciated how Kurrupt was what happened when your organicaly meshed the two regions i.e 'I Don't Like To Dream About Getting Paid'.
  • blackgod813
    blackgod813 Members Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daz is a great never really heard this album so since it is my first it just sounds old ..o well
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's not better than any of those albums but it def doesn't get the love it deserves
  • tharealest561
    tharealest561 Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kurupt as a lyricist and Daz as a producer in 1995 was literally the perfect combo. Album is an indisputable classic from beginning to end but I can't say it's the best Death Row release. Each one was special for its own reasons.

T/S right though...not only did they not live up to this album they didn't even come remotely close.
  • moyo
    moyo Members Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bck145 wrote: »
    it's not better than any of those albums but it def doesn't get the love it deserves

I agree. ? , Chrronic, and All eyes on me overshadow Dogg food because of the iconic artist who dropped them and how they all changed and impacted hip hop at the time of their releases. But they are classics without a doubt and have been in my collection for over 20 years faithfully.
  • TayGettem
    TayGettem Members Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stay off da drugs bru
  • lordstanley
    lordstanley Members Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016
    It's not better than any of those albums but it is a classic that gets forgot about too often
  • MallyG
    MallyG Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And I'm glad Daz got awarded that settlement for 25 mill some years back for all that work he put in!
  • okaay
    okaay Members Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cosign, this ? had me rocking 100% polyester Dickie suits!