SMH at the Blatant Kareem Disrespect!
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    DaBull wrote: »
    SMH at the Blatant Kareem Disrespect!

Yeah, I don't get that. How a mafucker win:

SIX MVPs (more than anyone in NBA history...even your ? )
    SIX titles (including one BEFORE he got to LA)
    a 19-time ALL-star (that was never once voted in by the fans)
    AND the #1 ALL-TIME scorer in NBA history

...and people say he's not even the best Center ever puzzles the ? out of me. Look, ? the Lakers as a franchise, staff, fanbase, and as a muthafuckin crew, but respect is DUE to this dude.

I like Wilt, but the argument that "Russell played in a watered-down era" applies to Wilt, too. They were only each other's competition, and Bill's Celtics busted that ass all the time.

Hakeem's cool, but his career doesn't even come close to the accomplishments Kareem made.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »

Hakeem's cool, but his career doesn't even come close to the accomplishments Kareem made.

Not talking career accomplishments. Im talking in their prime, who was the best. It's not fair to compare guys you watched play to ones you didnt. But if Im going to, Im giving the edge to Hakeem who was the dominate Center in the greatest Center era. Hakeem never had a roster around him like Kareem did in L.A. which was arguably the most talent on one roster ever. From the year Hakeem came in the league in 84, he was the better player til Kareem retired. Yet, Kareem won 3 rings and 1 Finals MVP during that time span. The Rockets upset the Lakers in 86 behind Hakeem averaging 31/11 compared to Kareem's 27 and 7 (Still impressive at 39 years old). Hakeem averaged more than 10 points better than the second leading scorer, Ralph Sampson.

Kareem also won a ring with an all star in Milwaukee. Hakeem on the other hand won a ring with role players and another ring with an all star. Him and Duncan in 2003 are the only players I can remember who lead their teams to a championship without another legit star around them. Hakeem never had a an all star point guard to get him the ball in his entire career. Kareem had the GOAT PG in his prime and arguably the other GOAT PG who was still an all-star in Milwaukee.

Per 36 minutes (Kareem played more minutes)
    Hakeem: 21.9--11.2--2.5--1.8--3.1 Blks
    Kareem: 24.1--10.9--3.5--1.0--2.6 Blks

Playoffs per 36 minutes (Hakeem played more minutes)
    Hakeem: 23.5--10.2--2.9--1.5--3.0 Blks
    Kareem: 23.4--10.1--3.1--1.0--2.4 Blks

Kareem had a higher player efficiency rating in the regular season. Hakeem had a better one in the playoffs. Add to this that Hakeem is arguably the greatest defensive Center ever, I give him the slight edge even tho Kareem had the greater career.
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    comparing Hakeem to a 39 year old Kareem is crazy!!! Kareem was the most underrated defender at the position, he had multiple seasons over 4 blocks a game and while Hakeem was a better defender, Kareem was light years ahead of him offensively.

Kareem best 5 seasons ....aka Prime years

35ppg and 17 rebounds let that marinate!!! i would give you his blocks but they didnt even count blocks back then
    35ppg and 17reb and 4 asts
    32ppg and 16 reb and 3 asts
    30ppg and 15 reb and 5 asts
    24ppg and 13 reb with 5 asts and 4 blocks during one of those title years in LA
    27ppg and 15reb and 5 asts

he was an offensive juggernant and the most complete offensive force for a while. he won without magic early in his career and ppl fail to mention that when he retired and Magic was without Kareem, magic never held the trophy again even with the rest of that "stacked" team still in tact

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shaq was the best center. A 3rd year player in Shaq was killing every center including Dream. That wasn't even prime Shaq.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    edited April 2016
    Options
    lol @ Kareem being "light years" ahead of Hakeem offensively. Kareem's numbers in Milwaukee were special no doubt, but he was playing 44 MPG to put up those numbers and the league was still evolving during that time. Kareem averaged 16.6 (not 17 rebounds) that season and was 3rd in rebounding. Let that marinate. The only player putting up rebounds like that in Hakeem's era was Rodman. In Kareem's early years him, Wilt, Dave Cowens, Nate Thurmond, Wes Unseld and Elvin Hayes were routinely averaging over 15 rebounds a game. In the 90's, Rodman was the only one doing that OR EVEN COMING CLOSE. Hakeem and Kevin Willis were the only players in the 90's not named Dennis Rodman to average at least 14 rebounds in a season, so dont act like Hakeem wasnt a monster on the boards. You expect me to believe guys who played in the 60s/early 70's were just that much better than guys who played in the 80's/90s? Nah B. They just played more minutes, so they scored more points and grabbed more boards.

The Lakers, like Kareem, got old. Magic only played two more years after Kareem retired until he got Aids. Him and Worthy were still in their primes, but their 3rd best player was Vlade Divac and they still went back to the Finals in 91 before losing to the GOAT.

Shizlansky wrote: »
    Shaq was the best center. A 3rd year player in Shaq was killing every center including Dream. That wasn't even prime Shaq.
    But Dream was killing him right back. Shaq admitted this many times.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Magic, MJ, Bird, Duncan, Hakeem.

Ez.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    I can see the Kareem ? , but I seen Hakeem in his prime.

Hakeem in his prime was the most unstoppable player I seen since Jordan at that time.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I aint knockin Kareem. I can see why most consider him the GOAT, but I dont. That simple. I saw Hakeem in the 90's murder some of the greats.

Shaq's prime was definitely in L.A., but what's ironic is his regular season numbers in Orlando are identical to his numbers (actually slightly higher) than his numbers in L.A. Only his assists went up.

But playoff Laker Shaq was a whole nother monster. Especially when he got to the Finals.

2000 Finals 38.0/16.7/2.3/2.7 Blks
    2001 Finals 33.0/15.8/4.8/3.4 Blks
    2002 Finals 36.3/12.3/3.8/2.8 Blks

Damn
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That ? posted old Celtics "highlights" from the 60s
    Lmao

? looked like old tapes from my 12-under league up at Jesse Owens park
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Centers
    Kareem
    Wilt Chamberlain
    Hakeem Olajuwon
    David Robinson
    Shaq

Power Forwards
    Tim Duncan
    Karl Malone
    Dirk Nowitzki
    Charles Barkley
    Dennis Rodman( I know most are gonna think I'm crazy but dude effected the game by rebounding and defense more than most of the big time scores people praise. )

Small forward
    Larry Bird
    Lebron James
    Dr. J
    Scottie Pippen
    Dominque Wilkens

Shooting Guard
    Jordan
    Oscar Robertson
    Kobe
    D. Wade
    Jerry West

Point guards
    Magic Johnson
    John Stockton
    Isaiah Thomas
    Chris Paul
    Jason Kidd

• af.r.i.c.a.
    af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    So ILL wrote: »
    This thread just made me mad at the thought of how the Magic let a hall of fame Center get away for nothing smh. Yeah, I'm still mad lol.

Fuxk that ?
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Now that you mention it, who did Orlando get for Shaq? Or was he a free agent?
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Now that you mention it, who did Orlando get for Shaq? Or was he a free agent?

Free agent
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Zo got a hunnid mil from MIA & that ? the game up for Orlando....but they the stupidest cause Shaq was definitely worth it
  • fightforolddc
    fightforolddc Members Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I go back and forth with Lebron and Bird. That's the closest comparison at that No. 1 spot out of any position. I feel Lebron is the better player overall but Bird clutchness was ? godly. I want that on my team