Video: Baltimore pigs arrest teenager for refusing to let them enter his home w/o a warrant...

Options
stringer bell
stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPPPfSSV5qk

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/maryland/crime/bs-md-ci-home-arrest-investigation-20160418-story.html
Baltimore police investigating home arrest after video lands online

The arrest of an 18-year-old teen in the doorway of his East Baltimore home on Saturday — which police have since determined was unwarranted — is under investigation by the Baltimore Police Department after video of the incident was posted online.

The video shows Tionne Jones, who was charged with disorderly conduct, telling a lieutenant blocking the front door of the home to leave, noting that he lives at the home and the lieutenant didn't have a warrant. The lieutenant can be heard telling Jones that he is "not the property owner," and that he needs to speak with the owner.

The video then shows a second officer arrive in a patrol car, come up the stairs to the home, grab Jones and yank him down the stairs before wrestling him to the ground.

Just before he is grabbed, Jones can be heard in the video saying, "This is my house." The officer who grabs him says, "That don't matter."

T.J. Smith, a police spokesman, said the department's "executive team met to discuss this issue and the circumstances surrounding the arrest," and determined that "criminal charges were not appropriate in this situation."

The police department has contacted the State's Attorney's Office "to request that charges be dropped," Smith said. The actions of the lieutenant and the officer are under review internally, he said.

Smith said the incident began after officers had "received calls from the community about issues surrounding activity" in the home in the 1800 block of Barclay Street in the city's Greenmount West neighborhood, including complaints about "large numbers of people entering and exiting throughout the day and night" and "possible drug activity." No drug charges have been filed.

On Saturday, the first officer on the scene, a lieutenant, had "observed a person knocking on a door and then a window and then trying to get into the home through the window," Smith said, and "approached the home in an attempt to speak with the leaseholder" before the argument with Jones began.

"During the lieutenant's attempt to gather more information and confirm that the individual had legal access to the residence, he called for additional officers to respond to the scene," Smith said in a subsequent statement.

Neither officer was identified. Jones could not immediately be reached on Monday. Smith said he was charged on a criminal citation.

Antonio McLaurin, an 18-year-old student at Youth Opportunity Academy who filmed the video, said it shows how police "treat us for nothing."

"All I was doing was knocking on the door to get in the house. I wasn't bothering anyone or nothing," he said.

McLaurin said he and Jones were both injured in the incident and had to go to the hospital.

"I'm tired of being harassed," he said. "I'm scared every time I see a cop."

McLaurin's mother, Tawanda McLaurin — a retired Baltimore police officer — said she watched the video and was "very disappointed in Baltimore City" and "ashamed" that she was once part of the same police organization.

She said she teaches her son to respect the police and what officers do for the community, and would have come down hard on him if he had been in the wrong in the weekend incident. But from what she saw in the video, she said, it was the police officers who mishandled the situation.

"I wore the uniform, I did this job, but I treated people as humans," she said. "I'm hurt. It's hard to describe."

She said her son came home "hurt and humiliated" after the incident, and explained to her what happened.

"He said to me, 'This could have been another Freddie Gray incident,'" she said. "You know, as a retired officer, how that made me feel?"

Gray, 25, died last year after suffering severe neck injuries while in police custody. His death touched off widespread protests, followed by a night of rioting, looting and arson.

McLaurin's son said he hopes the video he shot makes a difference in how the incident is handled by the department.

"I just hope the officers get what they deserve, fired or anything," he said. "It's just crazy."

I'm sure if Ray Lewis sees this video he going to say..

*Fake Ray Lewis preacher voice"

"But.. But.. What I about black on black crime"