NYPD pig who killed unarmed Akai Gurley to facing sentencing. Update: Judge gives him 5yrs probation

Options
123457»

Comments

• Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "I wrote:
    farrakhan didn't pull the trigger give that man probation nor put the da in puppet position

let's not lose focus or misdirect energy
    "Plutarch wrote: »
    Why you going at Farrakhan though?

Because at the Million Man Pep Rally, he said "Justice or Else," Akai Gurley didn't get justice and there's no follow through on the repurcussions. Due to the fact that Farrakhan is an extremely gifted orator who gives extraordinarly long winded respones that includes vitrol towards white people, cats give him a pass, (e.g. like you and the other dudes. However, as a matter of principle, when Ken Uncle Thompson sold us out and announced that fuckery would ensue, Farrakhan should have his ass in front of his office saying that if this ? as cop doesn't get a severe sentence, then black police will act accordingly, (via economic boycotts and whatever means are deemed necessary to ensure justice is served,) and he would be there at the sentencing.

People took time out there lives to go to the N.O.I. promotional rally, don't you think he would have called for people to show up for this they would have?

He's been one of our greatest leaders for almost half a century, and your response is to ? on him? Misdirected anger...

Really, bruh? He's been one of the greatest ? talkers for last fifty years, but that's about it. Has the N.O.I. provided a vehicle for brothers and sisters to change their lives? Yes? But what has Elijah Muhammad, Louis Farrakhan, the N.OI. (or even Malcolm when he was in the N.O.I.) ever to improve the condition of black on whole? Did they get any laws changed? No, it was the NAACP, that did that. Where they willing to comfort Jim Crow knowing they would be beaten, put in jail, and killed? No, it was Dr. King and SCLC that did that. Did they have grass roots programs that aided the community? No. It was Panthers that did that. So it seems to me that unless you were a member of the Nation of Islam, Farrakhan really isn't ? you. Dude is nothing more than long winded blow hard, so either had a hand in and (until recently) supported the assasination of Malcolm X.

It's sad that we as a people gravitiate towards dude simply because of his rhetoric and oratory skills, but cats are constantly giving him a pass. I shouldn't be surprised because cats have been giving the N.O.I. a pass for the past 51 years.

• stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://observer.com/2016/04/council-members-rage-against-brooklyn-judge-and-prosecutor-in-akai-gurley-case/#.VxgWpNVQh6I.twitter
    Council Members Rage Against Brooklyn Judge and Prosecutor in Akai Gurley Case

Several African-American members of the City Council ripped into Brooklyn District Attorney Kenneth Thompson and Judge Danny Chun over the sentencing of former NYPD Officer Peter Liang—who avoided jail time for the 2014 killing of black Brooklynite Akai Gurley.

Brooklyn Councilwoman Inez Barron, Queens Councilman Donovan Richards, Brooklyn Councilman Jumaane Williams and Bronx Councilwoman Vanessa Gibson all hit Judge Chun for deciding yesterday to downgrade Mr. Liang’s conviction from second-degree manslaughter to criminally negligent homicide. They also insisted that the penalty the jurist assigned Mr. Liang, five years probation and 800 hours of community service, was inadequate for his crime.

“The life of a black man was valued less than that of a cat or dog,” said Ms. Barron, whose district covers the public housing development where Mr. Gurley lived. “Peter Liang took a life. He should now lose his liberty.”

Mr. Liang had been patrolling with his gun drawn in violation of police protocol, and shot Mr. Gurley when the unarmed 28-year-old father startled him in a darkened stairwell of Brooklyn’s Pink Houses. The shooter fled the premises without offering assistance to Gurley, who died from the bullet wound.

Mr. Richards recalled that Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress received a two-year sentence after accidentally shooting himself in 2008 (the charges were in fact for criminal possession of a weapon and reckless endangerment).

“I remember a Giants player shot himself and go two years in jail. Here we have a young man who was killed unarmed in our city, and the officer is not facing any justice,” he said. “It’s a shame this young man’s life was not valued.”

Mr. Thompson has already announced his intention to appeal the judge’s reduction of the sentence. But he did not escape the criticism of the Council members, who attacked him for recommending last month that Mr. Liang undergo house arrest and probation instead of a prison sentence.

“I believe what D.A. Thompson did was wrong. It set a precedent saying this person should not be held accountable,” said Mr. Williams. “No jail sends a terrible message to black people across this city and, indeed, across the country.”

Ms. Gibson agreed.

“Recognizing, while it was not intentional, your actions cause a death of someone who was completely innocent,” she said. “I would have thought the D.A. would have recommended some level of jail time, and the judge would have upheld that.”

Mr. Thompson, his borough’s first African-American district attorney, became a hero to many in the Black Lives Matter movement for obtaining an indictment and conviction of Mr. Liang. Activists interpreted the Gurley homicide as part of a larger pattern of cops killing unarmed blacks, including Staten Islander Eric Garner and Ferguson teen Michael Brown.

Prosecutors failed to convince grand juries to charge the police involved in previous deaths with any crime, but Mr. Thompson was careful to insist that the Liang case had “nothing to do” with the Missouri and Staten Island homicides.

In his recommendation to Judge Chun last month, Mr. Thompson argued that Mr. Liang’s crime was an act of recklessness, not murderousness, and that he had been in the Pink Houses working to keep residents safe.

The Brooklyn D.A.’s office did not immediately respond to requests for comment. Mr. Thompson’s mother was one of the first female officers to serve on the NYPD.

• stringer bell
    Options
    http://brooklyn.news12.com/news/brooklyn-da-judge-should-have-given-liang-house-arrest-1.11714159
    Brooklyn DA: Judge should have given Liang house arrest

BROOKLYN - Brooklyn District Attorney Ken Thompson says he feels the judge should have followed his recommendation for house arrest for ex-NYPD officer Peter Liang.

Despite that, he says no prison time was the right call.

The former officer was sentenced to five years’ probation and 800 hours of community service for the 2014 shooting death of Akai Gurley at the Pink Houses.

Akai Gurley's family say they are furious. They want Liang to serve time for taking the life of their loved one, even if it wasn't intentional.

Supporters of the Gurley family says they see the DA's sentence recommendation for no prison time as a reason the charges were lowered against Liang from manslaughter to criminally negligent homicide.

Thompson says he disagrees with the judge on the lesser charge.

He also dismissed that he helped an officer get away with killing an unarmed black man. Thompson says it wasn't police brutality, and that it was a separate case.

"If you look at what happened, this wasn't an intentional shooting, this was an accident, this was a tragedy and Peter Liang is going to be a convicted felon for the rest of his life," he said.

After the sentencing, some protesters stood outside Thompson's home. Extra police were stationed near his home as a precaution.

Thompson didn't speak on camera about the protesters outside his home, but sent a statement, saying that the harassment of his family Wednesday morning would not deter him “from doing what's right."

Smh.. Such a ? ...
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Because at the Million Man Pep Rally, he said "Justice or Else," Akai Gurley didn't get justice and there's no follow through on the repurcussions. Due to the fact that Farrakhan is an extremely gifted orator who gives extraordinarly long winded respones that includes vitrol towards white people, cats give him a pass, (e.g. like you and the other dudes. However, as a matter of principle, when Ken Uncle Thompson sold us out and announced that fuckery would ensue, Farrakhan should have his ass in front of his office saying that if this ? as cop doesn't get a severe sentence, then black police will act accordingly, (via economic boycotts and whatever means are deemed necessary to ensure justice is served,) and he would be there at the sentencing.

People took time out there lives to go to the N.O.I. promotional rally, don't you think he would have called for people to show up for this they would have?

If he is being literal about "justice or else" (implying justice or take to the streets) and then does not follow up on that, then yes, Farrakhan would be fronting, and shame on him for that. But I am not aware of what Farrakhan is doing or what he might be planning to do, so I can't speak much on that.

Besides, I think that your solution to the problem might simply be different than his. You just have different belief systems. I agree with your solutions though. I'm sure Farrakhan does, at least partially. He also believes in such resistance.

I don't give him a "pass" because he's a great speaker. ? , lots of terrible people are bad speakers. I admire him because he believes and practices black empowerment, and he's an honest and wise man.
    Really, bruh? He's been one of the greatest ? talkers for last fifty years, but that's about it. Has the N.O.I. provided a vehicle for brothers and sisters to change their lives? Yes? But what has Elijah Muhammad, Louis Farrakhan, the N.OI. (or even Malcolm when he was in the N.O.I.) ever to improve the condition of black on whole? Did they get any laws changed? No, it was the NAACP, that did that. Where they willing to comfort Jim Crow knowing they would be beaten, put in jail, and killed? No, it was Dr. King and SCLC that did that. Did they have grass roots programs that aided the community? No. It was Panthers that did that. So it seems to me that unless you were a member of the Nation of Islam, Farrakhan really isn't ? you. Dude is nothing more than long winded blow hard, so either had a hand in and (until recently) supported the assasination of Malcolm X.

It's sad that we as a people gravitiate towards dude simply because of his rhetoric and oratory skills, but cats are constantly giving him a pass. I shouldn't be surprised because cats have been giving the N.O.I. a pass for the past 51 years.

Farrakhan is just a ? talker? C'mon man, you know that's not fair. The man has been a major force, from productive ideas to productive action. At least you concede the point about how beneficial the NOI has been.

What has he done to improve the condition of blacks on a whole? I think that you're asking too much from one man. And as long as the black community is fragmented and afflicted in the various ways it is, no one can help it improve on the whole.

I respect MLK, the NAACP (to a lesser extent), the Panthers, and them all, but NOI had their role and played their part well as well. And about the Malcolm assassination, I think that at the most, he had an strong indirect hand in it, but he's a better and wiser man today and has made his peace with it. It's other people who can't move on.

And bruh, you have to understand that I'm not just a sheep that's drawn to his charisma. He's certainly not perfect, and I have similar criticisms, but dude is legitimately worthy of respect: honest, fearless, brilliant, respectable, etc. Why all the hate?

And I'm not an NOI member btw. This has little to do with the NOI. It's just that real recognize real.
  • stringer bell
    Options
    http://www.newsday.com/opinion/wrongheaded-move-on-peter-liang-s-case-1.11721775
    Wrongheaded move on Peter Liang’s case

Ken Thompson campaigned on a platform of criminal justice reform in his bid to become Brooklyn’s top prosecutor. He made some notable changes early on: exonerating several wrongfully convicted men, promising not to prosecute low-level marijuana possession and holding events purportedly to help people clear past warrants.

However, his recommendation of no jail time for Peter Liang, the now ex-NYPD officer who killed Akai Gurley in 2014, reminds us that Thompson is still a prosecutor whose leniency toward cops represents little change. Liang was sentenced to 5 years’ probation and 800 hours of community service last week after Judge Danny Chun embraced Thompson’s recommendation and reduced Liang’s conviction to criminally negligent homicide. Liang had been convicted by a jury of manslaughter, and faced up to 15 years in prison. Both are felonies.

Thompson insisted that jail time wasn’t necessary since the case was about justice, not “revenge.”

Thompson’s decision sheds another light on how his office actually works for low-level offenders in Brooklyn. According to some public defenders, the office has dished out a pretty punitive form of “justice” for some other people — most whom are from low-income communities of color.

Some examples:
    • A 24-year-old black man in Brooklyn was offered 2 to 4 years jail time for alleged possession of marijuana and fraudulent credit cards.
    • A 51-year-old Latino was offered 3 to 6 years behind bars after he was found ? at a construction site and accused of stealing tools.
    • A 34-year old black nurse was offered 6 months in jail for misdemeanor assault, which she denies.

Those examples don’t include the countless poor people arrested in shoplifting cases who sometimes spend weeks in Rikers because Thompson’s office requests and gets bails everyone knows those arrested can’t afford.

After Liang’s sentencing, seven activists were arrested after protesting outside of Thompson’s home in Clinton Hill. They were drumming and chanting Akai’s name and pushing the #ByeKen message to have Thompson thrown out of office like Chicago activists did with prosecutor Anita Alvarez, who was not elected for a third term.

Thousands of people in Brooklyn, including the activists arrested last week, have spent more time in jail than Peter Liang. If that’s “justice,” I want no part of it.

Josmar Trujillo is a trainer, writer and activist with the Coalition to End Broken Windows.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The judge should be asked if he thinks a cop can “accidently" shoot a wealthy white man just for walking in the hallway of his upscale apartment building then don't bother to administer any aid and get probation/ a misdemeanor.

Even the most conservative republikkkans would tell you no.