Lets Discuss Robert Horry For A Sec

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
We all know Robert Horry has 7 rings. He was a clutch player for the Rockets, Lakers and Spurs. He was the type of guy to score 15 points in a finals game and hit the winning shot, but I don't ever remember him scoring 40+ points.

Here's what I've been able to find:
238 - Career Playoff Games – Most in NBA History

With 238 games in the playoffs*, Robert Horry passes Kareem Abdul-Jabbar with the most playoff games in NBA History. In addition to Robert Horry’s appearances in 73 playoff games with the San Antonio Spurs, Horry played in 65 playoff games with the Houston Rockets and in 109 with the Los Angeles Lakers. In his 16-years in the league, he has managed to average just under 50% from the field.

6,734 - Career Playoff Minutes*

259 - Career Playoff Three Point Field Goals Made* – Second in NBA History
In order to surpass the record-holder, Reggie Miller (320), Horry would need to drain 61 more three point shots.

7 - NBA Championships – One of Eight Players in NBA History to have 7 titles or more.
Horry is the only player to accomplish this feat outside of the 1960’s Celtic Dynasty comprised of Bill Russell & Co.

56 - Known as a deadly long range shooter, Horry holds the record for three pointers made in the NBA Finals with 56 three point daggers to date on the biggest stage.

7 - Notable Clutch Field Goals Made in Playoff Career

On May 22, 1995, Robert Horry hit a jumper in Game 1 of the Western Conference Finals with 6.5 seconds left to defeat the San Antonio Spurs.

With 14 seconds left, Robert drained a three ball over an extended Horace Grant to give the Rockets a four point lead in Game 3 of the NBA Finals versus the Orlando Magic in the same year.

Less than a minute to play, the Los Angeles Lakers were locked in a tied series of 1-1 with the Philadelphia 76ers. With 47 seconds remaining, Horry nailed a deep three to give the Lakers a comfortable lead going into Game 4 of the 2001 NBA Finals.

As Kobe Bryant found himself smothered by defenders in mid-air, he kicked the ball out to a spotted up Robert Horry who hit the game-winning shot against the Portland Trailblazers in 2002.

On May 26 of the same year, Vlade Divac made the mistake of swatting the ball out of the paint to avoid giving the Lakers another opportunity to score. Instead, Robert Horry calmly picked up the ball and knocked down the three with no time remaining to give his team a 99-98 victory over the Sacramento Kings.

During the Spurs’ quest for their third NBA Championship, Robert Horry inbounded the ball to Manu Ginobili who immediately returned the pass to Horry. With 5.9 seconds left, Robert Horry sank the shot from behind the three point line to help the Spurs win a pivotal game five in the 2005 NBA Finals.

This time, as the Spurs were en route of their fourth title, Robert Horry drained yet another three point shot to give the Spurs a four point lead over the Denver Nuggets in April of 2007.

11th - overall selection in 1992 draft to the Houston Rockets

7 -Three Point Field Goals Made without a Miss – Playoff Record

16 - Through 16 years of playing professional basketball and playing for three different organizations, Horry has never missed the playoffs. In addition, Horry has never been knocked out of the first round of the playoffs in any of his 16 consecutive trips.

7 -steals in the NBA Finals versus the Orlando Magic in 1995 – NBA Finals Record

72 - On the Spurs career all time lists for playoff games played, Horry has played in 72 playoff games with the Spurs to date*.

6 - The NBA’s top 10 list for active playoff leaders features Horry’s name in 6 different categories*. Horry ranks tenth for points (1,930) behind teammate Tony Parker, fourth for rebounds (1,343), seventh for assists (571), fifth for blocks (222), and second in minutes played (6,735). The numbers show Horry’s trips to the playoffs have been qualitative as well as quantitative.

2 - John Salley and Robert Horry are the only two players in NBA history to win an NBA championship with three different teams.

4 - Ron Harper, Steve Kerr, Dennis Rodman, and Robert Horry are the only players in NBA history to win multiple NBA championships with different teams. Horry was able to win more than one championship on each of his stops, in San Antonio (’05, ’07), L.A. (’00, ’01, ’02), and Houston (’94, ’95).

68 -Horry has connected on 68 three-point field goals in the playoffs*. That number is ranked fourth on the Spurs’ all-time list for playoff three-pointers made. Robert currently stands behind Ginobili (148), Bowen (145), and Elliott (73).

*As of May 13, 2008

What I'm looking for is; Whats the most Robert Horry has ever scored in a game? I've tried google but the way I've worded the question doesn't yield any results.

Does anybody know Robert Horry's career high?

Also, interesting fact, Robert Horry never made the All Star team

Comments

• O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Who the hell is Robert Horry ??? Never heard of him.
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    He was never a star, probably never had an all star caliber year & had the 3 of the best big men of all time....they definitely made life easy for him.......but they needed him too....he made life easy for ? in the most clutch moments
    https://youtu.be/eFlLRsHz0sA

His career high is probably no more than 20 something pts......he probably never had 30 pts in a nba game
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He scored 40 once against Milwaukee and 30 in another game against Sacramento. Both as a Rocket.
  • 5 Grand
    edited April 2016
    Options
    He was never a star, probably never had an all star caliber year & had the 3 of the best big men of all time....they definitely made life easy for him.......but they needed him too....he made life easy for ? in the most clutch moments

Yeah the most he ever averaged was 12 points per game in the 95/96 season. Other than that he averaged 10 points a game in 92-93 and 10 points a game in 94-95. But besides those 3 years, he never averaged more than 10 points per game.

However, his teams won championships. He hit clutch shots in playoff/finals games. He has 7 rings, the most out of any player that wasn't on the 1960s Celtics.

The question remains, if you were to assemble a team, why WOULDN'T you pick Robert Horry?
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    if anyone missed it his article last year for players tribune.... good read

How to Be a Big Shot

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/robert-horry-kobe-phil-jackson-lakers/

• KneeGro_DuperMan
    Options
    He scored 40 once against Milwaukee and 30 in another game against Sacramento. Both as a Rocket.

I've been corrected. Sorry Bob.
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    Options
    @5 Grand

I won't say I wouldn't pick him up.....but he definitely a bench type ? on my team
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I mean what are we discussing? He was a great role player; I don't think much needs/can be said beyond that.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Yeah but in the history of the NBA, there's only a few people that have won multiple rings with multiple teams. There's something special about him that his numbers don't reflect.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Horry is an all time great role player and contributed to every championship he ever won, but he also played with some all time greats in their prime and benefited from that.

But I'll never forget what he did in Game 5 against Detroit. One of the all time great 4th quarter/OT Finals performances.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Horry played with 4 of 10 best players in NBA history

Shaq
    Kobe
    Duncan
    Dream

Best two coaches in NBA history

Pop
    Jackson
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    I hate when ? act like Robert Horry just rode coat tails and collected rings. Yeah, he played with great players, but had this ? not showed up how he did and when he did, some of yall favorite players wouldn't have the number of rings they do. Real ? ! The ? earned all 7 of those rings he has. Not everyone is going to be the star on the team but every team needs great role players. Horry did his thing

Shaq, Kobe and Duncan been to mutiple championships without him

He's not a person to be discussing.
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tmac frowns upon this thread
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Did TMac ever clap back at Horry
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Did TMac ever clap back at Horry

And say what? Lol
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    I hate when ? act like Robert Horry just rode coat tails and collected rings. Yeah, he played with great players, but had this ? not showed up how he did and when he did, some of yall favorite players wouldn't have the number of rings they do. Real ? ! The ? earned all 7 of those rings he has. Not everyone is going to be the star on the team but every team needs great role players. Horry did his thing

I'm not disregarding that. What I'm saying is that his role on those teams seem to l ways get diminished. Go back and look at those playoffs. It's at least 5 times where, had he not hit a crucial three, seasons would have been over. Shaq, Kobe, Duncan are u questioned stars, but every championship is won by role players doing what they do. No one wins by themself
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Anybody know why the Lakers got rid of him?

I know he wasn't much of a scorer, but you could count on him in the 4th quarter.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

I know he wasn't much of a scorer, but you could count on him in the 4th quarter.

He couldn't play defense and he was old
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he's one of those "others" shaq loves to talk about that was key in helping him and stars like him win rings.
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options

No one wins by themself

Quoted for emphasis.

This will be blatantly disregarded in countless Cheapseats discussions...

• detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shaquille O'neal always talks about "big shot Rob". Horry was a very important other.

People tend to think of clutch as only game winning jumpers. Clutch is also hitting a shot to take the lead from 3 to 5 when the opponent is coming back within reach.

I'm still mad about the 05 finals when sheed left Horry open. Soon is it left his hand you knew it was going in. Then he hit everything in OT and dunked on us.

That game 5 is what cost us the series.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

He couldn't play defense and he was old

Well he went on to win 2 more rings.

Lakers should have kept him.