Money Mayweather
    i remember watching Ray Leonard getting his ass whipped
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Money Mayweather
    804 wrote: »
    Ray Leonard. He's as fast as Floyd, but hits harder, he's longer, better beard, and he combination punching would look good when Floyd shells up on the ropes. Plus Leonard has a good jab, that would give Floyd fits. A sharp Leonard KOs Floyd within in 7, in my humble opinion.

You don't know much about Floyd

If Demarcus Corley can hurt Floyd, trust and believe that Ray Leonard would. Zab hurt Floyd early, washed Mosley hurt him early, Ray Leonard would finish the job. And I said a sharp Leonard, bold the whole thing next time.

And Dicky Ecklund hurt Ray and knocked him down so what's your point? If you told me Ray would pull off a masterful fight to edge out Floyd like he did Hagler fine that's believable but to knock him out in 7 because Floyd got shaken up a couple times even though he never got knocked down clean? Sorry you're the one that sounds stupid here, I know who Ray fought and his resume probably does look a little better than Floyd's but that still doesn't mean he's knocking out one of if not the greatest defensive counter puncher in the history of the sport

Bruh, calm down. Ray Leonard has the power to knock Floyd out. Ray Leonard has the skill to knock Floyd out. Floyd has never fought a fighter at the talent level of Leonard. Ray Leonard beat three guys good enough to beat Floyd. Not a single fighter Floyd has ever fought would beat Leonard, not one. If you're so confident that Floyd would beat Ray, tell me how it happens then, and stop telling me how stupid I sound.

Heaven forbid I even suggest Floyd Mayweather could be knocked out. Get real dog, we're talking about a matchup between two of the greatest of all time, anything could happen, and it's boxing, you know how that ? goes. In some hypothetical Dragon ball z like realm where all these all-time great fights could take place, no fighter would come out with out a loss.

Yea I'm outraged...bruh shut up and learn to take an L, first off I'm not so confident Floyd would win I had to think about it but what I do know is Ray isn't knocking Floyd out period, Floyd's defense is 2nd to none you acting like Ray would go in that fight like he Tyson picking apart Floyd with those flurries then knocking his ass out with ease NO, that's where you sound stupid like Floyd would be easy work, Floyd is extremely smart, he's extremely fast and does not give a ? about the crowd or criticism after the fight for it being boring and for not pressing the action, he would make Leonard come beat him and although Leonard would be able to get at Floyd as good as anyone he's ever fought he's also going to get tagged in the process as well and a lot of those flurries aren't going to hit clean, he would have to fight his smartest fight even more so than Hagler he's not killing Floyd with his speed and Floyd isn't giving him the chance to counter anything, it would be one of the great technical fights of all time and I think Ray looks better early but Floyd being the master technician he is in the ring and also being the more patient fighter figures Ray out and takes most of the later rounds, that's how I got him winning, and all the other ? you're talking opinion not fact, "well he fought him him and him so he would be Floyd" NO, just sounds stupid
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Money Mayweather
    d.green wrote: »
    The undefeated guy who made all of his peers look like amateurs.

Were any of them great? If so, were any in there prime?

Do any of those compare to a Duran, Hagler or Hearns?

Was Floyd in his prime when he beat them? Are you really trying to argue a, "my generation is better than your generation" stance?

Floyd basically Michael Jordan'd all of those guys careers. They were considered top notch fighters until Floyd showed there was an even higher level you can reach.

Case and point, there's a difference between very good or even great and legendary. Floyd is on a different level. You can't beat what you can't hit.
    804 Members Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sugar Ray Leonard
    Ray Leonard. He's as fast as Floyd, but hits harder, he's longer, better beard, and he combination punching would look good when Floyd shells up on the ropes. Plus Leonard has a good jab, that would give Floyd fits. A sharp Leonard KOs Floyd within in 7, in my humble opinion.

You don't know much about Floyd

If Demarcus Corley can hurt Floyd, trust and believe that Ray Leonard would. Zab hurt Floyd early, washed Mosley hurt him early, Ray Leonard would finish the job. And I said a sharp Leonard, bold the whole thing next time.

And Dicky Ecklund hurt Ray and knocked him down so what's your point? If you told me Ray would pull off a masterful fight to edge out Floyd like he did Hagler fine that's believable but to knock him out in 7 because Floyd got shaken up a couple times even though he never got knocked down clean? Sorry you're the one that sounds stupid here, I know who Ray fought and his resume probably does look a little better than Floyd's but that still doesn't mean he's knocking out one of if not the greatest defensive counter puncher in the history of the sport

Bruh, calm down. Ray Leonard has the power to knock Floyd out. Ray Leonard has the skill to knock Floyd out. Floyd has never fought a fighter at the talent level of Leonard. Ray Leonard beat three guys good enough to beat Floyd. Not a single fighter Floyd has ever fought would beat Leonard, not one. If you're so confident that Floyd would beat Ray, tell me how it happens then, and stop telling me how stupid I sound.

Heaven forbid I even suggest Floyd Mayweather could be knocked out. Get real dog, we're talking about a matchup between two of the greatest of all time, anything could happen, and it's boxing, you know how that ? goes. In some hypothetical Dragon ball z like realm where all these all-time great fights could take place, no fighter would come out with out a loss.

Yea I'm outraged...bruh shut up and learn to take an L, first off I'm not so confident Floyd would win I had to think about it but what I do know is Ray isn't knocking Floyd out period, Floyd's defense is 2nd to none you acting like Ray would go in that fight like he Tyson picking apart Floyd with those flurries then knocking his ass out with ease NO, that's where you sound stupid like Floyd would be easy work, Floyd is extremely smart, he's extremely fast and does not give a ? about the crowd or criticism after the fight for it being boring and for not pressing the action, he would make Leonard come beat him and although Leonard would be able to get at Floyd as good as anyone he's ever fought he's also going to get tagged in the process as well and a lot of those flurries aren't going to hit clean, he would have to fight his smartest fight even more so than Hagler he's not killing Floyd with his speed and Floyd isn't giving him the chance to counter anything, it would be one of the great technical fights of all time and I think Ray looks better early but Floyd being the master technician he is in the ring and also being the more patient fighter figures Ray out and takes most of the later rounds, that's how I got him winning, and all the other ? you're talking opinion not fact, "well he fought him him and him so he would be Floyd" NO, just sounds stupid

Everything in the bolded is ? you made up, because it never came outta my mouth. Facts are that everything you typed was opinion, so I don't know how "all that other ? you're talking is opinion not fact" makes sense. Your post has a full of feelings vibe to it, but I'll take your word for it.

Ray Leonard is not about to get hit with potshots from Floyd all night long. Understand that I know Floyd is capable of making any fighter look bad, but Ray Leonard could throw every punch in the book, as fast if not faster than Floyd. I just think Ray Leonard is a bad matchup for Floyd.
    Sugar Ray Leonard
    d.green wrote: »
    The undefeated guy who made all of his peers look like amateurs.

Were any of them great? If so, were any in there prime?

Do any of those compare to a Duran, Hagler or Hearns?

Was Floyd in his prime when he beat them? Are you really trying to argue a, "my generation is better than your generation" stance?

Floyd basically Michael Jordan'd all of those guys careers. They were considered top notch fighters until Floyd showed there was an even higher level you can reach.

Case and point, there's a difference between very good or even great and legendary. Floyd is on a different level. You can't beat what you can't hit.

How did you get that out of his post? Those guys he mentioned are much better fighters than any of Floyd's competition, regardless of generation.
  • smittysmith
    smittysmith Members Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ray Leonard wins

Floyds best work was 20lbs south of Welterweight.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Money Mayweather
    So we really going to blame the era?

Like uncle Roger says..."most people don't know ? about boxing"

Know the difference between Floyd and Rays era??

The ? internet. People really believe Leonard fought everybody and Floyd cherry picked because of the narrative that one Bob Arum spint...

When you really think Leonard fought every fight in time realize that those guys shared a promoter with him, and also realize guys like Aaron Pryor and Mike mccallum didn't.
    And if those guys had twitter and YouTube in the 80's ? wouldn't even have the same impression of their fighters.... Floyd didn't just fight names. He was one of the last fighters that truly dominated his entire stay....

He didn't wait a decade for a rematch, he immediately rematched only two fighters, and both those were fights that were considered close.... he wanted to rematch Oscar because of the split decision....

For all the bravado., Floyd is actually the perfectionist who always fights at the highest level possible.., and as great as Leonard was.... Dudes focus and ego wasn't on the level of Mayweather. ...

Against a fellow great, a. Potential equal, Leonard has faltered... Floyd's best performances were when people thought he finally might get his,,,....
    Sugar Ray Leonard
    DWO wrote: »

The ? internet. People really believe Leonard fought everybody and Floyd cherry picked because of the narrative that one Bob Arum spint...

When you really think Leonard fought every fight in time realize that those guys shared a promoter with him, and also realize guys like Aaron Pryor and Mike mccallum didn't.
    And if those guys had twitter and YouTube in the 80's ? wouldn't even have the same impression of their fighters.... Floyd didn't just fight names. He was one of the last fighters that truly dominated his entire stay....

He didn't wait a decade for a rematch, he immediately rematched only two fighters, and both those were fights that were considered close.... he wanted to rematch Oscar because of the split decision....

For all the bravado., Floyd is actually the perfectionist who always fights at the highest level possible.., and as great as Leonard was.... Dudes focus and ego wasn't on the level of Mayweather. ...

Against a fellow great, a. Potential equal, Leonard has faltered... Floyd's best performances were when people thought he finally might get his,,,....

So YouTube is why Ray Leonard beat better fighters than Floyd, ok I get it now. ? really think Floyd is Jordan smh
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Money Mayweather
    Ray can beat him cuz of size and having handspeed and beating benitez who used the shoulder roll and beating Floyd sr. With that said Floyd is the best all around fighter I've seen
  • Dupac
    Money Mayweather

So YouTube is why Ray Leonard beat better fighters than Floyd, ok I get it now. ? really think Floyd is Jordan smh
    You have to understand the importance of promotions.

The reason Bob arum is the King of boxing is because for damn near 3 generations he has consitently build up his fighters as the greatest men in the world...

I'm not saying Leonard is bad, I'm saying Bob Arum is a great salesman.... If Bob is your promoter and your golden goose, he will efficiently do his job and make you larger than life...

He built up fights with hagler, Duran, hearns and Leonard during the primes of their careers...

He was so good at his job that no one outside of students of the game can barely remember the threat that guys like Pryor and mcculom presented...

I'm saying all that to say this, ray lenard was good, but he struggled against fellow greats... who were in his umbrella, and never made fights with dangerous opponents who weren't being promoted by arum

Floyd went solo and fought everybody he could. Arum tried to block a few fights that happened later than the fans might have wanted, but the fact is that floyd still had the freedom to fight guys from other promotions, and dominated all...

Oscar, canelo, hatton, corrales, gatti, these were all fights that people felt would be to much for him, and were his greatest performances...

I like Leonard, but getting beat by Duran, the fights with hearns, I just don't see him as a guy who is beating Floyd...
  • Dupac
    Money Mayweather
    aneed123 wrote: »
    Ray can beat him cuz of size and having handspeed and beating benitez who used the shoulder roll and beating Floyd at. With that said Floyd is the best all around fighter I've seen

Ray got size and speed, skills out the ass, but he get impatient.. Which isn't always bad, but I see him fighting like shane... getting one good shot in and get over confident
  • aneed123
    Money Mayweather
    aneed123 wrote: »
    Ray can beat him cuz of size and having handspeed and beating benitez who used the shoulder roll and beating Floyd at. With that said Floyd is the best all around fighter I've seen

Ray got size and speed, skills out the ass, but he get impatient.. Which isn't always bad, but I see him fighting like shane... getting one good shot in and get over confident

Mosley was able to land 2 big right hands on Floyd off his jab. Ray at 147 had the skills to do that.... he would be the bigger guy. Floyd is my fav fighter but I'm trying to be objective.
    Sugar Ray Leonard

You have to understand the importance of promotions.

The reason Bob arum is the King of boxing is because for damn near 3 generations he has consitently build up his fighters as the greatest men in the world...

I'm not saying Leonard is bad, I'm saying Bob Arum is a great salesman.... If Bob is your promoter and your golden goose, he will efficiently do his job and make you larger than life...

He built up fights with hagler, Duran, hearns and Leonard during the primes of their careers...

He was so good at his job that no one outside of students of the game can barely remember the threat that guys like Pryor and mcculom presented...

I'm saying all that to say this, ray lenard was good, but he struggled against fellow greats... who were in his umbrella, and never made fights with dangerous opponents who weren't being promoted by arum

Floyd went solo and fought everybody he could. Arum tried to block a few fights that happened later than the fans might have wanted, but the fact is that floyd still had the freedom to fight guys from other promotions, and dominated all...

Oscar, canelo, hatton, corrales, gatti, these were all fights that people felt would be to much for him, and were his greatest performances...

I like Leonard, but getting beat by Duran, the fights with hearns, I just don't see him as a guy who is beating Floyd...

Leonard struggled against fellow greats? He beat Benitez, Duran, Hearns, and Hagler. How is that struggling against the greats?

No one who knew anything about boxing thought that Floyd was losing to Hatton, Gatti, or Canelo, and Floyd didn't look great against Oscar. Corrales was a good win, but that's Floyd in his true prime at 135. Floyd can beat anyone at 135, it's a different story at 147.

Pryor and McCallum could have beat Leonard, and they could have beaten Floyd too.

At the end of the day, the question is Floyd Mayweather vs Ray Leonard, not what makes this era different from that era, and the internet and the moon and stars and all this promotional ? you're talking about . If you can't come at me with some analysis of how the fight would take place, then what you are saying is irrelevant.
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Money Mayweather
    We haven't seen anyone ? that Mayvinci code yet and this guy reigned for 20 years. Beat whoever was put against him. As far as making adjustments, I haven't seen a fighter match TBE. Sugar Ray was one of the best of his era, but we've seen him lose. Floyd's boxing iq is unmatched IMO.
    I seen some guy talk about how Sugar Ray was faster and hit harder than Floyd. In boxing timing superseeds speed any day. Amir Khan is way faster than Swift, but Swift timed him and dropped him. If we talking Floyd, Zab Judah hit harder and was faster, but once Floyd figured him out it was a wrap.

It's all hypotheticals but my guess is Floyd would have figured Sugar Ray out like he did to all his opponents.
    Damn shame how much value y'all place in that undefeated record. Quality competition doesn't mean much to y'all.
    Flooyd faced quality opposition so what's your point?
    edited May 2016
    Sugar Ray Leonard
    Muhannad wrote: »
    We haven't seen anyone ? that Mayvinci code yet and this guy reigned for 20 years. Beat whoever was put against him. As far as making adjustments, I haven't seen a fighter match TBE. Sugar Ray was one of the best of his era, but we've seen him lose. Floyd's boxing iq is unmatched IMO.
    I seen some guy talk about how Sugar Ray was faster and hit harder than Floyd. In boxing timing superseeds speed any day. Amir Khan is way faster than Swift, but Swift timed him and dropped him. If we talking Floyd, Zab Judah hit harder and was faster, but once Floyd figured him out it was a wrap.

It's all hypotheticals but my guess is Floyd would have figured Sugar Ray out like he did to all his opponents.
    Damn shame how much value y'all place in that undefeated record. Quality competition doesn't mean much to y'all.
    Flooyd faced quality opposition so what's your point?

Benitez, Duran, and Hearns at 147 are a class or two above anybody Floyd fought in his career, let alone 147. You in here comparing apples to oranges. Garcia and Khan don't belong in this conversation, and Zab is smaller than Floyd, Ray is not. What part of Ray being the bigger man do you not understand?

@Mastery the bolded is why I say those that keep harping on the record are wrong, because I saw your comment in the boxing thread. Most of the Floyd Mayweather would beat Leonard decision making process stems from Floyd being undefeated.
  • Dupac
    Money Mayweather
    The reason I bought promotion in to play is because rays opponents were not classes above anyone floyd fought, but they were built up to have you believe that... Castillo, Oscar, hatton, corrales, Shane, cotto, Marquez, all those dudes are on their level...

Only thing Ray has definitively on floyd is size and strength... But in comparison, I've seen ready Ray take shots and not bounce back.

I've seen Floyd get hit hard and compose himself almost immediately. I've seen him beat dangerous fighters one handed.

I've seen him counter undefeated champions and make it look easy.

I'm a big Leonard fan, I'm from Maryland, he's the home fighter I've rooted for him my whole life.. But Floyd is just better
    edited May 2016
    Sugar Ray Leonard
    The reason I bought promotion in to play is because rays opponents were not classes above anyone floyd fought, but they were built up to have you believe that... Castillo, Oscar, hatton, corrales, Shane, cotto, Marquez, all those dudes are on their level...

Only thing Ray has definitively on floyd is size and strength... But in comparison, I've seen ready Ray take shots and not bounce back.

I've seen Floyd get hit hard and compose himself almost immediately. I've seen him beat dangerous fighters one handed.

I'm a big Leonard fan, I'm from Maryland, he's the home fighter I've rooted for him my whole life.. But Floyd is just better

If you think Floyd wins, I respect that, because I respect Floyd Mayweather, but none of those guys are on the same level as Duran, Hagler, and Hearns, or Benitez.

Hatton, Castillo, Cotto, Chico, Marquez all get washed by Duran at 135-140-147. I'm not gonna even put them in the ring with Hearns or Leonard. Benitez against those guys would be a little bit closer but I think he beats those guys.

Duran and Mosley at 135, oh boy that would be a good one, it's a pick em. At 147 I'd favor Duran. Oscar would give Duran problems because of his length and jab(if he decides to use it smh).

Hearns is a bad man. Matchup nightmare for Floyd, I don't see how Floyd wins that fight or even gets to the final bell. He doesn't hit hard enough to hurt Hearns, and that jab is gonna swell up Floyd's left eye.

You don't have to agree with me, but Floyd is not unbeatable against the greats.
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sugar Ray Leonard
    Pryor was doped up during some of his fights remember the black bottle
  • aneed123
    Money Mayweather
    Ray fought the better fighters there is no argument there. Floyd cant help that. With that said there are arguments where both guys win. All we can go by is hypotheticals. Oscar almost stole/robbed a win vs Floyd by doing the sugar ray flurries on the ropes. I could see that happening. I also can see Floyd slowing the fight down and ? shotting ray. For a win. I can see ray hurting Floyd with a right hand off his jab. Floyd is a better all around fighter. Ray was just bigger with the same handspeed and power.
  • aneed123
    Money Mayweather

If you think Floyd wins, I respect that, because I respect Floyd Mayweather, but none of those guys are on the same level as Duran, Hagler, and Hearns, or Benitez.

Hatton, Castillo, Cotto, Chico, Marquez all get washed by Duran at 135-140-147. I'm not gonna even put them in the ring with Hearns or Leonard. Benitez against those guys would be a little bit closer but I think he beats those guys.

Duran and Mosley at 135, oh boy that would be a good one, it's a pick em. At 147 I'd favor Duran. Oscar would give Duran problems because of his length and jab(if he decides to use it smh).

Hearns is a bad man. Matchup nightmare for Floyd, I don't see how Floyd wins that fight or even gets to the final bell. He doesn't hit hard enough to hurt Hearns, and that jab is gonna swell up Floyd's left eye.

You don't have to agree with me, but Floyd is not unbeatable against the greats.

Hearns beats Floyd too big. Duran beats Oscar ... he and Mosley is a toss up at 135. Pryor beats Duran. Benitez beats all those modern guys folk forget how good he was.
  • Dupac
    edited May 2016
    Money Mayweather
    Bob arum... Got ? drinking the kool aid since the 70's

Duran not seeing Oscar in the cut bruh, them 30 second continuous flurries dropping dude all day
  • aneed123
    Money Mayweather
    Bob arum... Got ? drinking the kool aid since the 70's

Duran not seeing Oscar in the cut bruh, them 30 second continuous flurries dropping dude all day

naw Oscar would get beat
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sugar Ray Leonard
    Sugar Ray DESTROYED FloydMayweather's defense... he'd do the same to junior.
  • aneed123
    Money Mayweather
    D0wn wrote: »

Different fighters... Floyd boxing iq and he makes adjustments
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    D0wn wrote: »

Sr. was a cabdriver lmaooo