Woman Crashes Car While Using Snap Chat...Sues Snap Chat

blackrain
blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
edited April 2016 in For The Grown & Sexy
A lawsuit filed in Spalding County claims the social media app's "speed filter" tempted a woman to go too fast, causing a major crash.

When you take a picture or video on your phone using Snapchat, there are filters you can add to your image.

Some are sillier than others, but one filter will stamp your photo with the speed you were going when you took the picture. If you're standing still, it will say zero.

The car accident at the focus of this lawsuit happened in September on Clayton County's Tara Blvd. The speed limit is only 45 miles an hour, but the lawyers making this complaint say the young lady who caused the crash was going 107 miles an hour to impress her friends on Snapchat.

Even after the crash, they say she still didn't put the phone down- taking a selfie as medics put her on a stretcher.

The Atlanta law firm argues Snapchat is promoting dangerous driving because people may be tempted to go as fast as they can to post a high number.

CBS46 stopped by Georgia State University to see who heard about this Snapchat feature. It turned out everyone we met was familiar with it.

"I've actually seen buddies do it while they're riding their bike, or driving, or in the car," said Jason Owen.

"Sometimes, when I'm out with friends on the highway, you just post a snap and you use the speed filter," said Amir Bogoreh.

"I don't think it's very safe, unless you're not the one in the car that's driving," said Gabby Stevens.

"On the feature, it says please don't text and drive," pointed out Jeffrey Skinner.

Snapchat does have a quick warning that pops up when you first use the speed filter saying "please do not snap and drive."

Representatives from the company had nothing to say about the lawsuit.[\quote]

http://www.wibw.com/content/news/Georgia-couple-sues-Snapchat-for-car-accident-377433441.html

Comments