'Ghostbusters' Is The Most Disliked Movie Trailer In YouTube History

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
https://youtu.be/w3ugHP-yZXw

LOS ANGELES — To be fair, it's not a very good trailer.

Also to be fair, the reason behind the avalanche of thumbs-downs probably has little to do with its quality, and a lot to do with trolling.

But the fact remains: the trailer for Sony's all-female Ghostbusters reboot is the most-disliked movie trailer in YouTube history. By a lot.

Since its March 3 release, the Ghostbusters trailer has climbed to No. 23 on YouTube's "most-disliked" list with nearly 508,000 thumbs-downs, roughly one down-vote for every 56 of its 28 million views.

And the thumbs-ups are trailing badly at 204,000.

Could the Sony blockbuster comedy be in trouble? Human sacrifice? Dogs and cats living together? Mass hysteria!?

That may be overstating things, because a good chunk of that down-voting was surely goosed by trolls who are upset — or perhaps more accurately, want decent people to think they are upset to provoke outrage — over the fact that this Ghostbusters was rebooted and recast with Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones.

Whatever the reason, Ghostbusters now has the dubious distinction of sitting between Justin Bieber's "What Do You Mean" and Meghan Trainor's "All About that Bass." In fact, just about all of the most-disliked list is music videos, including No. 1, Bieber's star-making Baby. Which is understandable.

The closest movie-related item: a Disney "sing-along" version of "Let it Go" from Frozen, No. 52 with 296,000 dislikes. Also understandable.

We know for a fact that at least one of those Ghostbusters dislikes was motivated solely by the fact that the trailer is terrible. Because it is.

Whether it reflects the film itself, we'll find out July 15.

Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments.

Comments

• IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It doesnt look so bad. I dont see whats the issue.
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Vader_F_Kennedy Members Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    U should have seen the stay puft reaction to the vid
  • MorganFreemanKing
    MorganFreemanKing Members Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Leslie Jones was the only redeeming part of the trailer
  • bdbdbd
    bdbdbd Members Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeh this ? looks terrible and kinda taints the name of the of ghostbusters
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It looks atrocious. The clip they released recently with Hemsworth's "highlights" was quite painful to sit through.
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    I'm still gonna check it out tho
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't really understand the hate.
  • Broddie
    Options
    https://youtu.be/9agPjkc5A44

Could somebody explain to me where the comedy is supposed to be in that clip?
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • manofmorehouse
    manofmorehouse Members Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why is it all women, again??
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont want to be left out. I will help it reach number 1
  • Vader_F_Kennedy
    Options
    iron man1 wrote: »
    Nah not trolling or anything to do with the actresses this movie just seems really horribly written. The jokes are trash and the effects don't look that good at all. I also have an issue with everyone else being some type of phd background aside from the one black person who's skill is knowing the streets. The OG version everyone had a specific field of study and chemistry. That was a really horrible trailer.

In the original I don't think Winston had a degree in anything..he was just looking for a steady paycheck remember lol
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah not trolling or anything to do with the actresses this movie just seems really horribly written. The jokes are trash and the effects don't look that good at all. I also have an issue with everyone else being some type of phd background aside from the one black person who's skill is knowing the streets. The OG version everyone had a specific field of study and chemistry. That was a really horrible trailer.

What was Winston zedmores profession or area of expertise. Iirc he didn't have one either he was just some dude who walked in looking for a paycheck. To do that once I can look past but to repeat that with Leslie Jones that just out right stereo casting.
  • nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? might be worse then f4 reboot
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Looks like trash
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Oh well ? looks corny anyway
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

In the original I don't think Winston had a degree in anything..he was just looking for a steady paycheck remember lol

Harold Ranmis talked about it on the dvd extras that he actually has a phd as well but the scene was deleted along with some other stuff.
  • dee.i.pee
    dee.i.pee Members Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sounded like a bad idea from the jump,I wouldn't go see if I had free tickets and the $20 bucket of popcorn
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Harold Ranmis talked about it on the dvd extras that he actually has a phd as well but the scene was deleted along with some other stuff.

They speak on his profession in the video game which is the true successor to the original franchise.
  • Broddie
    edited May 2016
    Options
    When the role was originally written for Eddie Murphy Winston had multiple degrees and a PhD. He was also the smartest out the bunch.

When Eddie couldn't do it and Ernie got it the character lost that backstory and had his screen time reduced. They made him and everyman and he also lost a lot of his lines to Peter Venkman (Ie: "He slimed me.").

Didn't get a PhD till the videogame. At least he still got one of the best quotes as an everyman ("I've seen ? that'll turn you white.").