The NEW AllHipHop Review Board - Now reviewing: Views

Options
KillaCham
KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
edited April 2016 in The Reason
allhiphopcritic-banner2_zps2fd8d66d.png

If you are unfamiliar with how we did this last year, new albums and songs are chosen to be reviewed. Posters will drop their reviews and it will count toward an items' (album or single) total score. It's a good way to share thoughts, opinion, and input. Drop your opinion in here along with a score and have it count toward something. EVERY SCORE MATTERS. You also get a chance to have some shine on the AllHipHop main page.

Score albums on a scale of 0-4, 0-5, 0-10, or F- to A+

Once the review period ends, the scores will be averaged and will result in one of the final categories:

Ratings_zpswhjjhjxi.png

*Song reviews must be 70+ words, Album reviews must be 120+ words
*Do not drop reviews for random albums (@genocide_cutter)

Right now is a good time to start with Drake's new joint. I don't have a lot of time on my hands lately but I'll try to manage this as best as possible. Full rules are below:

Review schedule
Albums
Drake---Views-review-page-before_zpsd905dagu.png

Songs
TBA

Welcome to The AllHipHop Review Board! Based on the entertainment review website Metacritic, The AHH Review Board is a rating system where all IllCommunity forum members can review albums and songs to create an average and final numerical score for each piece. Members will write mini (or full-length) reviews of new (sometimes old) album or song releases and rate them, creating a universal score from IC posters.

This will be good to get some discussion flowing as well as share opinions in a more professional manner. Users will be able to see what posters think about what's new this week, what was great this year, and what some of our all-time favorites were, as well as contribute to each official rating.

Rules
-No trolling. Posters are allowed to express opinions on and criticize reviews from others - just no straight up trolling. That is still a warnable offense in or out of this thread.
-Reviews for songs must be no less than 70 words. http://www.wordcounter.net/
-Reviews for albums must be no less than 120 words (it's really not that much). http://www.wordcounter.net/
-Each review must have a rating or it will not count toward the final score.

Scoring
-Each review from members will be compiled and averaged into 1 final score for each album or song that is reviewed.
-Final scores will range from 0-100, with the higher number indicating a better overall average for reviews. Final scores will be highlighted in different colors to indicate good, bad, or average review scores. If the numbers are too hard to read, then you can look at the pretty colors (see below):

Ratings_zpswhjjhjxi.png

Score conversion:
4-star-scale_zps3311c198.png5-star-scale_zps5c07d5f6.pngletter-grade-scale_zpsd8afc484.png

-Each member rating must be on a scale of 4 (0 to 4), 5, 10, or a letter grade (between A or A+ and F or F-).
-Reviews from moderators and allhiphop staff will be included into the final Member Score, but will also create a separate Modscore.
-Again, each review must have a rating to count toward a piece's final score.
-Any review that violates any of the rules will not be counted toward that piece's final score.

Review process
-Albums or songs up for review will be chosen by Reason moderators and/or by popular demand of board members requesting them to be reviewed.
-Each album will generally be up for review for about 3 weeks.
-Each song will generally be up for review for about 15 days.
-Extensions for review periods will be at the discretion of KillaCham or other moderators.

Comments

• KillaCham
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Scoreboard

ALBUMS
    Arguable Classics:
    Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth: 94 (ModScore: 90)
    Lupe-Review-Page-after_zpsafyvmkth.png

Member score
    Listencloser: 9.8/10
    IceBergTaylor: 9.7/10
    power_wisdom: 10/10
    LonedogAchilles: 9.9/10
    Roster Player #99: 8.9/10
    TheEyeronic1: 9/10
    silverfoxx: 9.2/10

ModScores
    Stew: 9/10
    Sion: 9/10
    Kendrick Lamar - To ? A Butterfly: 92 (ModScore: 95)
    Kendrick-Page-after_zpsvl2q3un5.png

Member score
    eternal soldier: 4/5
    silverfoxx: 9.4/10
    BobOblah: 9/10
    D0wn: 10/10
    bless the child: 10/10
    G.Avant: 10/10
    Listencloser: 7.2/10
    jazzybella: 9/10
    LonedogAchilles: 9/10
    IceBergTaylor: 9.2/10

ModScores
    Sion: 9.5/10
    YoungGoldie: 9.5/10
    KillaCham: 9.6/10
    Joey Bada$$ - B4.DA.$$: 90
    Joey-Badass-Review-Page-before_zpshtrhqfa8.png
    Member score
    Listencloser: 8.2/10
    jono: 9/10

ModScores
    5th Letter: A

Solid:
    J. Cole - 2014 Forest Hills Drive: 82 (ModScore: 74)
    J-Cole-Review-Page-after_zps77a11d6f.png

Member scores
    StoneColdMikey: 4/5
    Breezy-Kilroy: 4.5/5
    usmarin3: 4.5/5
    bbkg79: A-
    deathrowzorro: 4/5

ModScores
    YoungGoldie: C+
    SixSickSins: 4.5/5
    Stew: 7/10

Average:
    Wale - The Album About Nothing: 67
    Wale-Review-Page-before_zps5yvsi8n7.png

Member score
    jono: 7.5/10
    Peezy_Jenkins: 6/10

ModScores
    Sion: 6.5/10

SINGLES
    Big K.R.I.T. - Soul Food (feat. Raphael Saadiq): 89
    Big-KRIT-Review-Page-before_zps7b981286.png

Member scores
    OhMars: B
    BoogaSuga: A+
    southermade: 4/5
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hell yeah this thread is back
  • KillaCham
    Options
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Imma listen or not based on this thread. Get to it!
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Put some respek on it ? .
  • KillaCham
    Options
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This will be a brief review because the artist didn't give me much to work with.

Listened to this 2 more times and my opinion still hasnt changed. Still average at best. I didnt get the whole season changing aspect either. To the music.... its just same ole Drake. Mixture of singing and rappin. I can admit that on 3rd listen the album is better but still underwhelming. Content wise, its Drake so its the same "woe is me, the women in my life are confusing, I'm the man tho." The standout tracks dont really stand out that much. Lyrically he might have peaked during the Take Care era cause his bars here aren't great enough to make up for the subpar music. The production on here is really good. Thats the one thing I took away from this.

Best songs:
    Weston Road Flow
    U With Me
    Faithful

Everything else is average to wack... I say this under the assumption you've heard So Far Gone and onward. At this point you'd expect artistic growth and theres none here. Sticking to the same formula is just safe, especially for someone who claims to be the #1 guy. If you havent heard Drake before, you might think this is good. Basically, if you've heard one Drake album you've heard them all. And I like Drake.

6/10
  • KillaCham
    Options
    ^ Good looks. You two always dropping thoughts in these threads. We need some more though!

I'm doing mine later this week.
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    my review coming soon
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I never checked into this but this seems like a dope set up killa chamdusky. I will let my staff at subway do reviews on their lunch break.
  • MiamiNights
    MiamiNights Members Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    my review coming soon

Should be very Very VERY interesting
  • Stew
    Options
    Bcotton5 wrote: »
    my review coming soon

Should be very Very VERY interesting

Nah boyfriends reviews shouldn't be allowed.
  • IceBergTaylor
    Options
    Theres a crazy circle ? going on in that Views thread yet none of the ? gassin this ? up wanna post up why they think its the greatest thing in the world
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Finally got the time to sit down with this album and dissect it. I rank this 4th in his catalog, it's not better than Take Care (Classic imo, not one bad song on the whole album) NWTS or WATTBA , but it's better than the others.

He normally starts his albums with fire (over my dead body, tuscan leather, digital dash, etc) but this ? was trash, easily the worst intro of his career, luckily he followed it with a dope track ("9"). He's always had alot of singing on his albums and that ? never bothered me like it does most of the ? on here, cuz for the most part they've been fire , but most of the ones on here were missing something. "Feel no ways" sounds like a weak attempt at remaking "find your love" , ? trash. "redemption" was aight , but again, something is missing. Overall , it's a decent album tho, my favorite tracks are:

Child's Play
    One Dance
    Grammys
    Weston Roads
    Views

Score: 75
  • _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    @KillaCham , can I change my score for Forest Hills, I was buggin on that review lol

Plus I still need to put in my review for T&Y
  • Stew
    Options
    Still havnt heard it. I wish ppl would participate in this ? instead of giving their half ass reviews in the album thread.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I finally got a chance to listen to this album. I've never been a guy that went out of my way to listen to his albums. I'm just giving this a listen so I could participate in this review thread. After giving it a listen I thought it was a pretty solid/borderline good album, I heard a lot of negative views about this album, but it sounds like what a typical Drake album might sound like. It seemed to have a very introspective theme throughout mixed in with an island/reggae vibe and with Toronto's large island demographic it's definitely plays up that aspect as well. Great production and average lyrics on the rap songs mixed in with singing. I give this album a 75/100.

The standout track was Weston Road Flows, I loved the sample.

Some other dope songs.

Grammy's
    One Dance
    Hype
    Views
  • KillaCham
    Options
    Stew wrote: »
    Still havnt heard it. I wish ppl would participate in this ? instead of giving their half ass reviews in the album thread.
    Word I might have to start tagging people in this thread. Locking the official thread. I dunno no mo. And smh who unstickied this? You gon pay.
  • Lurkristocrat
    Lurkristocrat Members Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Everything else is average to wack... I say this under the assumption you've heard So Far Gone and onward. At this point you'd expect artistic growth and theres none here. Sticking to the same formula is just safe, especially for someone who claims to be the #1 guy. If you havent heard Drake before, you might think this is good. Basically, if you've heard one Drake album you've heard them all. And I like Drake.

6/10

But but but when ? like Kid Cudi and Ye switch it up and show growth its garbage and nobody wants to hear that, they wanna hear the old Ye and Cudi LMFAO. These artist cant win.
  • IceBergTaylor
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The Recipe wrote: »

6/10

But but but when ? like Kid Cudi and Ye switch it up and show growth its garbage and nobody wants to hear that, they wanna hear the old Ye and Cudi LMFAO. These artist cant win.

Who are you addressing? Cause I never slammed Cudi or Ye for this. Although with Cudi him switching up is just bad
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And for my review of Drake's album

? Drake, ? his ? made fanbase, ? Young Money, ? Mainstream rap and ? that album.

Overall score:0

Tell us how you really feel.
  • IceBergTaylor
    Options
    Lmaooooo ? reviewed a whole other album entirely
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What happened to my review?