Will Kareem Abdul-Jabbar's Career High Be Broken?

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
People say that a dominant center that plays a full career could, in theory, break Kareem's record. But Shaq played a full career and didn't come close. Shaq is a good 10,000 points behind Kareem.

Even Kobe Bryant coming out of high school is 5,000 points short.

1. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar -38,387
2. Karl Malone - 36,928
3. Kobe Bryant - 33,643
4. Michael Jordan - 32,292
5. Wilt Chamberlain - 31,419
6. Julius Erving - 30,026
7. Moses Malone - 29,580
8. Dirk Nowitzki - 29,491
9. Shaquille O'Neal - 28,596
10. Dan Issel - 27,482

What do you think will happen first; Somebody beating Kareem Abdul Jabbar's career high of 38,387 points or somebody beating Wilt Chamberlain's game high of 100 points?

Comments

• PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    100 is still a possibility of there's enough overtimes in a game. As far as the all time scoring, I don't see that unless they expand the regular season which there's no reason to. Kareem was playing time well over 40 minutes a game his first 7 seasons which helped his scoring. No one's played 40 mpg in 5 years. Lebron's got a slim chance, but his athleticism isn't gonna last forever and is already starting to slip.
  • wilberdmillz
    wilberdmillz Members Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think Lebron has a real shot.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I think Lebron has a shot. You figure he has 4-5 25 ppg seasons left in him. That's about 8000-10000k points. He has 26,883 right now.

He would have to play until 37-38 and he would have to change his game and go down in the post once he loses his athleticism.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Malone could of broken that record if he wanted. He had two more good years left in him.

His last year he averaged 13 ppg, the year before that he averaged 20 ppg. No doubt he could have scored 2k points in two more years.
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lebron will be close. I think he'll finish second all time though. Dude has played a lot of basketball. KD also has a chance barring anymore injuries.

Kareem being a center and playing with Magic extended his career tremendously.
    You have to factor in the amount of basketball Lebron has left at a high level with all these deep playoff runs. Father time is undefeated.

And if Kobe couldn't get to 100 I don't think anyone will. Basketball isn't really played like that anymore where the offense is funneled through one guy. It's really more team orientated so I don't think anyone will even be able to get a chance like that.
    804 Members Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If a guy is getting to 100 in the future, it's gonna be a 7 footer that shoots the 3 really well, and is Olajuwon on the block.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    only player right now i can see breaking it is Bron
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kD if not i doubt it anytime soon
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »
    People say that a dominant center that plays a full career could, in theory, break Kareem's record.

Who says this? It's a perimeter driven game now and I don't see that changing any time soon.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bron has a slim shot

I think KD can do it tho if he can stay healthy
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Think bron has a legit chance he's climbing the list at a rapid pace and is 31. His decline ain't as deep as people think either
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    O.G. wrote: »
    People say that a dominant center that plays a full career could, in theory, break Kareem's record.

Who says this? It's a perimeter driven game now and I don't see that changing any time soon.

And points scored around the basket are more accurate than jump shots
  • O.G.
    O.G. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    O.G. wrote: »

And points scored around the basket are more accurate than jump shots

Blame analytics.
  • the_focused_one
    the_focused_one Members Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    LeBron can do it, but he would have to compromise his "keep everyone involved" mentality and focus on scoring.

Last night LeBron had 25 points, 9 assists, 7 rebounds, 5 steals and a block on 52% from FG range on 21 shots. A typical night of GOAT work for LeBron. But LeBron is 31. There's no way he can keep doing it all and catch Kareem without his body giving out.

LeBron, in the era of the zone defense, has to go on the full offensive and take about 25 shots a game and take more 3s. He also needs some elite defenders to take the pressure off him so he doesn't have to run all over the court to guard the best player.

LeBron can do it, he just needs the longevity.
  • RobCoLife
    RobCoLife Members Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Don't see Lebron breaking it , you guys make good points though.
  • Sir Lurkalot
    Sir Lurkalot Members Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    never... aau ball is puttin too many miles on these guys to play long enuff to