NBA Live 17 Canceled For Consoles

1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
Get ready for what could be a last-ditch effort to save the NBA Live franchise from cancellation. Per an open letter from the game’s executive producer Sean O’Brien on EA Sports.com, there will be no console version of NBA Live released in 2016. The publisher/developer will hold off a year before releasing the next version of the game on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One.

This decision was undoubtedly brought on by abysmal sales from the franchise in recent years. Per VGChartz.com, NBA Live 16 sold just 250,000 copies worldwide. When you consider it’s primary competition NBA 2K16 sold 7.29 million, it’s clear drastic measures were in order.

In the letter, O’Brien states the Live team TISI +% is going to focus on bringing its mobile game to a worldwide audience in 2016. Currently, the game is only available in Canada for iOS and Android. The mobile version has an average customer rating of 4.5 stars on Google GOOGL +1.40% Play Store, so it seems smart for the developers to focus on delivering a product that has been well received to a larger audience.

Comments

• silverfoxx
    silverfoxx Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 11,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel sorry for them at this point.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    let 2k cook
    They already got NFL and NHL, if anything make a NBA jam. That will sell more than 250k
  • banginscrew901
    banginscrew901 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 7,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn I remember when ps first went online I use to beast on cats online. Sad to see em go out this way. But yea make a nba jam game or something else make a different lane hell they a multi million if not billion dollar company
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't played Live in a long time so I won't miss it. What the hell happened at EA for them to get to this point? Is it the workers, management? They don't have a clear vision at all.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn homie, in middle school you was the man homie, what the ? happened to you

Fixed

• Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I agree EA needs to drop another NBA Street/NBA Jam because 2K has got the market cornered on b-ball simulation games.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • willhustle
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    Nothing but Karma for what they did with the NFL contract

Might as well dust off EABIG for NBA Street.

Yup most definitely karma. NFL is stupid for signing over exclusive rights to EA for Madden when they could have double their profits if they had allowed 2k to make another football game alongside Madden. EA probably did the exclusive NFL contract because 2k was gaining steam w/NBA 2k.
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is economics at work...
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last decent live was 05/06

Live 96 and 2001 >>
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • vagrant-718
    vagrant-718 Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jee504 wrote: »
    willhustle wrote: »
    Turfaholic wrote: »
    Nothing but Karma for what they did with the NFL contract

Might as well dust off EABIG for NBA Street.

Yup most definitely karma. NFL is stupid for signing over exclusive rights to EA for Madden when they could have double their profits if they had allowed 2k to make another football game alongside Madden. EA probably did the exclusive NFL contract because 2k was gaining steam w/NBA 2k.

True and if I remember right NFL 2k was $19.99 too. They been having that contract and been renewing it.
    Competition brings innovation.

NFL can easily shut it down if they want to so they have some culpability in all this too
  • willhustle
    D0wn wrote: »
    Also Madden is hot trash as well.

Yeah I bought Madden 15 the year before '16 dropped and paid $70 for the ultimate edition and ? was garbage and I got rid of it. Up to that point, I hadn't played a Madden game since the '01 version. Last year I had no plans of getting Madden but I ended up coppin because I had extra in my pocket when I went to get Until Dawn. Last year's Madden had better passing mechanics. I didn't like the franchise mode and after awhile I just stopped playing it.

I think EA could do so much more with Madden but they keep finding ways to rehash ideas from previous Madden games or don't present any new ideas at all. I doubt I'll be coppin Madden this year I'm about to stop coppin 2k on release day a well.

• willhustle
    Last decent live was 05/06

Live 96 and 2001 >>

Yup the last Live game I bought on PS2 were '05-06 and both were the exact same game and I said I wouldn't be buying anymore Live games. Been playing 2k games since 2k7.

I did get NBA Live '15 for $14 on PSN through a EA publisher's sale. The problem with Live '15 was it just was a straight up arcade game when it came to shooting at will with no defensive reinforcement on the other side of the ball.