Which is more difficult to accomplish? Being a great NFL RB or a being a great NBA center

Options
DOPEdweebz
DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
edited May 2016 in From the Cheap Seats
Sorry no funny pic this time DDS

Which is more difficult to accomplish? Being a great NFL RB or a being a great NBA center 24 votes

Being a great NBA center
33%
damnkpaneed123its....JOHN B(Nope)DaBull#1hiphopjunki3IgboNegroRevolver Ocelot 8 votes
Being a great NFL running back
50%
lion_heartplaymaker88bow to royaltythe_focused_oneking hassandamobb2deepspit_fiyatexasdaking88MARIO_DRO5 GrandTsotsi Cape Townmrtdb 12 votes
Meh it's apples and oranges
16%
davidbrooksOlorun22Breezy_KilroyTrillfate 4 votes

Comments

• bow to royalty
    bow to royalty Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's hard to be great with a backfield by committee, and it's hard to have the longevity necessary to be great.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To be a great NBA Center you have to be Seven feet tall.

To be a great NFL running back you have to be anywhere from 5'7" to 6' (there's not too many tall running backs).

Now the number of people who are 7 feet tall of basketball playing age (20-35) is probably in the hundreds. I'd estimate there are less than 1,000 7 footers of basketball playing age.

But there's literally millions of people between 5'7" and 6'.

So if you want to be a great NFL running back you have to compete with millions of people.

If you want to be a great NBA center you have to compete with hundreds of people.

I'd say its easier to be a great NBA center because there's less competition.

Mark Eaton - 7'4"
    Greg Ostertag - 7'2"
    Shawn Bradley - 7'6"
    Manute Bol - 7' 7"

These guys were all tall but they weren't that good. But they were good enough to play in the NBA.

I don't think there's a comparable list of NFL running backs who weren't that good but made the NFL anyway.

• its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Being a great NBA center
    Center easy, great running backs pop up every year, who was the last great center? Dwight in his prime maybe, right now the closest one to being great is who Cousins? And he can't get a team to the playoffs, Towns will be great, but there are hardly any great centers in the league anymore
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    Being a great NBA center
    5 Grand wrote: »

To be a great NFL running back you have to be anywhere from 5'7" to 6' (there's not too many tall running backs).

Now the number of people who are 7 feet tall of basketball playing age (20-35) is probably in the hundreds. I'd estimate there are less than 1,000 7 footers of basketball playing age.

So if you want to be a great NFL running back you have to compete with millions of people.

If you want to be a great NBA center you have to compete with hundreds of people.

Mark Eaton - 7'4"
    Greg Ostertag - 7'2"
    Shawn Bradley - 7'6"
    Manute Bol - 7' 7"

These guys were all tall but they weren't that good. But they were good enough to play in the NBA.

I don't think there's a comparable list of NFL running backs who weren't that good but made the NFL anyway.

If there are literally millions of people between 5'7 and 6' then there are literally millions of more chances for people to be great
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    Being a great NBA center
    Leveon Bell
    AP
    Gurley
    Beast mode
    Freeman
    Charles
    McCoy

And a few more will pop up next year
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 5 Grand
    edited May 2016
    Options

Mark Eaton - 7'4"
    Greg Ostertag - 7'2"
    Shawn Bradley - 7'6"
    Manute Bol - 7' 7"

If there are literally millions of people between 5'7 and 6' then there are literally millions of more chances for people to be great

Nope. Because there's only 32 teams in the NFL and 30 teams in the NBA.

So assuming every NFL team has 3 running backs

And assuming every NBA team has two 7 footers

The odds of being a NFL running back is (3x32=96) 96 in a million

The odds of being a NBA Center is (2x30=60) 60 in a thousand

Bottom line, if you're 7 feet, you have a better chance of making the NBA than a person who's between 5'7 and 6' making the NFL as a running back.
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    Being a great NBA center

Mark Eaton - 7'4"
    Greg Ostertag - 7'2"
    Shawn Bradley - 7'6"
    Manute Bol - 7' 7"

The odds of being a NBA Center is (3x30=60) 60 in a thousand

Bottom line, if you're 7 feet, you have a better chance of making the NBA than a person who's between 5'7 and 6' making the NFL as a running back.

all your numbers tell us is its more likely for a 7 footer to make it to the NBA than its is for a 5'7 to 6' to make it to the NFL, but it's not explaining why there are plenty of great running backs and hardly any great centers
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Depends on what your definition of "great" is. If you're just referring to talent, that's one thing. But if you're talking about the ability to be great, the answer is running back easy. If you're a great Center you're gonna be great regardless of what's around you. Sure it helps to have perimeter players get you the ball in spots for you to succeed, but basketball is primarily a 1-on-1 game when you have the ball in your hands. A running back has to rely on touches, schemes and have the talent around him to succeed. You can have the most talent on the field, but if your O-line is ? and they're stacking the box cause they dont respect your QB you're ? . A great Center may have to deal with double teams, but if he has serviceable shooters or a good pick-n-roll he can make them pay. In the NBA, great players always get the ball in their hands. That's not always the case in the NFL.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yah great and all time great are vastly different marked by defining moments/accolades/ longevity and the icing on the cake rings
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What's with all these poles? This ain't the reason smh
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited May 2016
    Options
    KingHustle wrote: »
    What's with all these poles? This ain't the reason smh

1. *polls
    2. You still posted here
    3. Bye hater.
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Being a great NBA center
    Center is harder ain't too many 7 foot people walking around. Add in its a guards league now. U don't have to be a huge person to be a great rb
  • 5 Grand
    Options

Mark Eaton - 7'4"
    Greg Ostertag - 7'2"
    Shawn Bradley - 7'6"
    Manute Bol - 7' 7"

all your numbers tell us is its more likely for a 7 footer to make it to the NBA than its is for a 5'7 to 6' to make it to the NFL, but it's not explaining why there are plenty of great running backs and hardly any great centers

What's your definition of a "great running back".

There have been 7 running backs to get 2,000 years in a season (OJ Simpson, Eric Dickerson, Barry Sanders, Terrell Davis, Jamal Lewis, Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson)

And there's probably about 7 "great" centers to play basketball (Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Hakeem Olajuwan, Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, Shaquille O Neal)

But the thing about being a great center is that you have to be 7 feet tall, which eliminates 99.9% of people.

Considering the size requirements, when a baby is born, his chances of being a great running back are greater than his chances of being a great center because the odds of that baby growing to 7 feet tall are astronomical.
  • its....JOHN B
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Being a great NBA center

Mark Eaton - 7'4"
    Greg Ostertag - 7'2"
    Shawn Bradley - 7'6"
    Manute Bol - 7' 7"

There have been 7 running backs to get 2,000 years in a season (OJ Simpson, Eric Dickerson, Barry Sanders, Terrell Davis, Jamal Lewis, Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson)

And there's probably about 7 "great" centers to play basketball (Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Hakeem Olajuwan, Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, Shaquille O Neal)

But the thing about being a great center is that you have to be 7 feet tall, which eliminates 99.9% of people.

Considering the size requirements, when a baby is born, his chances of being a great running back are greater than his chances of being a great center because the odds of that baby growing to 7 feet tall are astronomical.

Why even post the bolded? Are you implying there's only 7 great rb's in the history of the sport? you know the greatest running back was t even mentioned in there right? And there's more than 7 great centers, yea those were most of the all time greats but there were other great ones as well, and all those numbers you brought up thinking your a mathematician in here helps my argument not yours
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    Being a great NBA center
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Freeman? Naw.

If he has another monster year like that he's in there
    804 Members Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    A center having to be 7 feet tall is silly. Ewing is like 6-9, Shaq is 6-11 I believe. The size is irrelevant. The label of being a Center has a specific skill set to me, such as protecting the rim and rebounding. If you can't do those things your not a big man to me. Center and Power Forward are pretty much interchangeable, but I'll save that for another conversation.

@its....JOHN B just throwing the word great around all ? nilly. Your a great back if they can't consistently stop you with 8 in the box. Gurley(hasn't done enough), Bell(isn't on the field enoug), Freeman(not consistent), ain't great, and McCoy straddles the fence between good and great.

All that said, I'll go with running back because there are so many factors out of your control. There are so many ways a center can make an impact on the floor without shooting.
  • 5 Grand
    Options

Mark Eaton - 7'4"
    Greg Ostertag - 7'2"
    Shawn Bradley - 7'6"
    Manute Bol - 7' 7"

Why even post the bolded? Are you implying there's only 7 great rb's in the history of the sport? you know the greatest running back was t even mentioned in there right? And there's more than 7 great centers, yea those were most of the all time greats but there were other great ones as well, and all those numbers you brought up thinking your a mathematician in here helps my argument not yours

Are you asking is it more difficult to be a starting Center and a starting Running back, or are you asking if its more difficult to be an elite, all-time great?
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Center easy, great running backs pop up every year, who was the last great center? Dwight in his prime maybe, right now the closest one to being great is who Cousins? And he can't get a team to the playoffs, Towns will be great, but there are hardly any great centers in the league anymore

Dont confuse flash in the pans with great. Most of them fizzle out in a year or two. Maybe 3.
  • its....JOHN B
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Being a great NBA center

Mark Eaton - 7'4"
    Greg Ostertag - 7'2"
    Shawn Bradley - 7'6"
    Manute Bol - 7' 7"

Are you asking is it more difficult to be a starting Center and a starting Running back, or are you asking if its more difficult to be an elite, all-time great?

I didn't make the thread, the thread says a great one, and there are more great running backs in the game today and in the history of the game than there are centers in the NBA, now close the thread
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    Being a great NBA center

Dont confuse flash in the pans with great. Most of them fizzle out in a year or two. Maybe 3.

Freeman was premature, those other players all great or at the tail end of a great career
    Options
    804 wrote: »
    A center having to be 7 feet tall is silly. Ewing is like 6-9, Shaq is 6-11 I believe. The size is irrelevant. The label of being a Center has a specific skill set to me, such as protecting the rim and rebounding. If you can't do those things your not a big man to me. Center and Power Forward are pretty much interchangeable, but I'll save that for another conversation.

@its....JOHN B just throwing the word great around all ? nilly. Your a great back if they can't consistently stop you with 8 in the box. Gurley(hasn't done enough), Bell(isn't on the field enoug), Freeman(not consistent), ain't great, and McCoy straddles the fence between good and great.

All that said, I'll go with running back because there are so many factors out of your control. There are so many ways a center can make an impact on the floor without shooting.

Stopped reading after this

You enjoy being wrong in life I see.
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    Being a great NBA center

The irony
    Options

The irony

Much of life is sifting through misinformation and finding what is factual. This is a wonderful opportunity for you to turn your life around. Take advantage of this John