Better Center In Their PRIME: Shaquille O'Neal vs Hakeem Olajuwan

Options

Comments

• king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hakeem the Dream 93-95
    Real talk nobody was stopping prime shaq he was making legends look childish

When Shaq came in the league the "legends" had already been in damn near 10 years. And this was back when they had been to college for four years and by then they were in their 30's when he arrived
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hakeem the Dream 93-95
    The Dream was a far better defender and re bounder
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hakeem the Dream 93-95
    For the record, in the 95 Finals...

Dream: 32.8 PPG (48.3%)-11.5 REB-5.5 AST-2.0 BLK-2.0 STL..11 Turnovers
    Diesel: 28.0 PPG (59.5%)-12.5 REB-6.0 AST-2.5 BLK-0.3 STL..22 Turnovers

Shaq had a slightly higher offensive rating (109-107), but Hakeem had a significantly higher defensive rating (106-115). Overall, Hakeem had a 24.5 Game score to Shaq's 21.8. They led each of their teams.

• NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hakeem the Dream 93-95
    Clearly.
  • dallas' 4 eva
    dallas' 4 eva Members Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shaq Diesel 01-03
    How is putting up 28ppg on damn near 60% shooting getting owned? Explain this logic to me please.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shaq Diesel 01-03
    How is putting up 28ppg on damn near 60% shooting getting owned? Explain this logic to me please.

More rebounds assist and blocks.
  • dallas' 4 eva
    Options
    Shaq Diesel 01-03
    Shizlansky wrote: »

More rebounds assist and blocks.

But Shaq got 'owned'? These ? out of control.
  • dallas' 4 eva
    Options
    Shaq Diesel 01-03
    The Dream was embarrassing Hall Of Fame players ALL THE TIME

https://youtu.be/hW4uXlRGAF0

• dallas' 4 eva
    Options
    Shaq Diesel 01-03

Cool vid, I've seen it, it's impressive, but how is putting up 28ppg on damn near 60% shooting while also averaging more rebounds, assists, and blocks getting owned?
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shaq Diesel 01-03
    The Dream was killin, but being honest, Shaq in his prime was on Wilt level of dominance. A shame he only won one MVP, cause 01-02 should've been his.
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hakeem the Dream 93-95
    Mister B. wrote: »
    The Dream was killin, but being honest, Shaq in his prime was on Wilt level of dominance. A shame he only won one MVP, cause 01-02 should've been his.

you must have your years mixed up !!!

that year Duncan put up 25 and 13 on the best team in the west but even more deserving was J . Kidd who resurrected the Nets that year and led them to finals , he had like 14, 10 and 8 avg.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I'm not saying Shaq got owned, but ya'll cats that only quote stats never see the whole picture. People who say Shaq got owned are usually talking about how Hakeem did him (e.g. outmaneuvering him and scoring in his face). Shaq scored a lot, but if I remember a lot, the way their offense ran, a lot of those those were facilitated by others or had him put in a dominant position. Where as Hakeem typically got the ball and just outworked Shaq for his shots.
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Shaq Diesel 01-03

I'm not saying Shaq got owned, but ya'll cats that only quote stats never see the whole picture. People who say Shaq got owned are usually talking about how Hakeem did him (e.g. outmaneuvering him and scoring in his face). Shaq scored a lot, but if I remember a lot, the way their offense ran, a lot of those those were facilitated by others or had him put in a dominant position. Where as Hakeem typically got the ball and just outworked Shaq for his shots.

He made dream shot under 50%

And you acting like Shaq was spoon feed his points.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options

Shaq had a higher percentage because he had more dunks. He was bigger and stronger and able to muscle his way in better. Hakeem was actually hitting shots on Shaq. I'm not saying Shaq was a ? out there. I'm just saying that when you watched the games, Hakeem came off looking more skillful than Shaq. Stats alone won't tell you that.
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lmaooo so basically Hakeem had to work harder for his points
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Shaq Diesel 01-03

Shaq had a higher percentage because he had more dunks. He was bigger and stronger and able to muscle his way in better. Hakeem was actually hitting shots on Shaq. I'm not saying Shaq was a ? out there. I'm just saying that when you watched the games, Hakeem came off looking more skillful than Shaq. Stats alone won't tell you that.

Skillful?

Who gives a ? how you can score if you're scoring a lot of points.

• The Lonious Monk
    Options

Skillful?

Who gives a ? how you can score if you're scoring a lot of points.

And Olajuwon scored a lot of points, so what is your point? His skill is what allowed him to score the points. Shaq was bigger and stronger so he managed to control down low. He still wasn't able to stop Hakeem though because Hakeem had the skill advantage.
  • yroholla
    yroholla Members Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hakeem the Dream 93-95
    Takin nothing away from Shaq cause he was very agile for his size but to me skill > strength and physical advantage. Going by the years of dominance in the polls, the Dream had better competition in the front court overall compared to Shaq too
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Watching this video got me in my feelings right now. Lmao. He roasted my boy David

Yeah but that video didn't show what was happening on the other side of the court. There must be some clips of David Robinson scoring over Hakeem.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hakeem the Dream 93-95
    For the record Shaq used to ? DRob too, ? I can remember that Sunday afternoon matchup between San An and Orlando it had that heavyweight fight feeling to it, without looking at numbers that's how I remember it
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Shaq Diesel 01-03
    Hakeem beat Robinson, Ewing and Shaq for back to back titles is legendary having said that. When Shaq reached his Prime Hakeem was already done.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hakeem the Dream 93-95
    Hakeem in the Playoffs: 25.9 PPG (52.8 FG%-71.9 FT%)--11.2 REB--3.2 AST--1.7 STL--3.3 BLK.....39.6 MPG
    Shaquille in the Playoffs: 24.3 PPG (56.3 FG%-50.1 FT%)--11.6 REB--2.7 AST--0.5 STL--2.1 BLK.....37.5 MPG
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    im a put it this way im starting a squad and i had to pick one of them to play for me in their pime.

give me shaq dude was unguardable