I'm sayin it now, Klay Thompson will go down as a top 5 SG All Time

Comments

• its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    S2J wrote: »
    KamPushMe wrote: »
    En-Fuego22 wrote: »
    mj wade kobe clyde tmac vince ray a.i the ice man mitch richmond.......uuhhhhhh nope

Klay Thomson>>>>>>>>Ray Allen

Am I wrong?????

u must think the ray allen in miami was how he was his entire career

Dont go gettin all revisionist history tho!

Ray Allen was 1) Never a top shelf A1 player. He was a perennial all star on solid but not elite teams in Milawaukee, in the vein of a prime joe johnson, paul pierce pre big 3, and then in Seattle he played a few years of meaningless bball puttin up numbers. Lets not revise history to make Ray on Wade, AI, etf level. His talent mattered but bis longevity and couple of clutch shots made his legacy.

I say that to aay this: He never did what Klay did last night. He never averaged 27, 28 for a whole playoffs while winning like Klay. So yes, at this pace, Klay is EASILY better than Ray. Reggie too, Drexler too. The defense, the potential titles and him being a larger factor in them, his size, no doubt. Keywords, on pace

He's not wrong, although Ray's 8 straight 3's in a finals game was as impressive as Klay last night
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are yall ? really comparing Klay to James Harden? Klay plays better Defense than James ever dreamed about playing and Harden woulda shrunk under last nights pressure in the 4 th quarter. Klay was hitting clutch 3's tge whole night just to keep his team in the game. Its really no comparison and shooting? Pshhh who the hell got better form than Thompson? Yeah maybe James can dribble or rebound better but Klay is strickly a shooting guard(who dont know he's an off guard? Barns and Iguodolla are the SF's) the choke artist Harden is like a combo guard!! I would sure as hell hope he's better at those two things and it aint even better by much. Give me Klay all day over him

• PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    mj wade kobe clyde tmac vince ray a.i the ice man mitch richmond.......uuhhhhhh nope

Am I wrong?????

Ray Allen was 1) Never a top shelf A1 player. He was a perennial all star on solid but not elite teams in Milawaukee, in the vein of a prime joe johnson, paul pierce pre big 3, and then in Seattle he played a few years of meaningless bball puttin up numbers. Lets not revise history to make Ray on Wade, AI, etf level. His talent mattered but bis longevity and couple of clutch shots made his legacy.

I say that to aay this: He never did what Klay did last night. He never averaged 27, 28 for a whole playoffs while winning like Klay. So yes, at this pace, Klay is EASILY better than Ray. Reggie too, Drexler too. The defense, the potential titles and him being a larger factor in them, his size, no doubt. Keywords, on pace
    And Klay never averaged over 25-26 PPG for an entire season like Ray did in Seattle. Hell Ray Allen averaged 24.6 PPG for 5 years in Seattle. Klay's career high in 5 years is 22.1 PPG this season. Let's get real here. Ray Allen has better career stats than Klay across the board despite playing years past his prime. Klay is getting it done in the playoffs, but Ray Allen never had the talent around him Klay did til he got to Boston his 12th year in the league. Klay has always had Steph to lean on. Ray was the one everybody leaned on in Milwaukee and Seattle.

Klay is every bit the shooter Ray Allen is, if not better. But Klay doesnt have the all around game that Ray Allen did. Not like Ray Allen had a tremendous all around game, but what else does Klay bring to the table besides his scoring? He's a 6'7 guard and gets significantly out rebounded by Steph. He averages 2 assists per game. Klay rarely has a major impact on offense if he's not shooting well from 3. He's get it done on D tho.
  • Trillfate
    Trillfate Members Posts: 24,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ray left the game unceremoniously and i don't get it.. he pretty much just quit the nba but he never officially retired
  • its....JOHN B
    Once Klay smashes Ray's 3 point numbers it will be hard to make a case for Ray, like I said he's on the right pace but so was Grant Hill and Penny and neither are ever mentioned in any type of goat debate, as long as he stays healthy he'll be there, we'll appreciate last night more 20 years from now
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i like klay but nah i dont see the better than ray ? right now

klay only has the advantage on defense

yea u can let his postseason scoring this year sway u if u want

ray was more all around, more closer to a top tier player than klay is, and while he was gettin those numbers, always the best player on his team
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ray Allen was never a top 3 SG in the NBA, he was maybe top 5 for a season or two, Klay is the best SG in the game today and a prime Ray today wouldn't be the best SG in NBA....

? put too much stock in Rays hollow stats and many years of irrelevance, prior the big 3 he was only relevant for one season when Bucks made the ECF...

Klay can be the 2nd best player on a championship roster (maybe even the best in terms of scoring) but Ray could only be the 3rd (really 4th from 09-2012 when Rondo was better than him ) best player on a contender..
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    blu197 wrote: »
    Ray Allen was never a top 3 SG in the NBA, he was maybe top 5 for a season or two, Klay is the best SG in the game today and a prime Ray today wouldn't be the best SG in NBA....

? put too much stock in Rays hollow stats and many years of irrelevance, prior the big 3 he was only relevant for one season when Bucks made the ECF...

Klay can be the 2nd best player on a championship roster (maybe even the best in terms of scoring) but Ray could only be the 3rd (really 4th from 09-2012 when Rondo was better than him ) best player on a contender..

Ray was well past his prime during those Celtic Heat years.

That said Im not considering him a top SG anyway.

Hes definitely an all time top shooter but all around SG... nah
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    smfh, that ? never ceases to amaze me
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    TheGOAT wrote: »
    blu197 wrote: »

Ray was well past his prime during those Celtic Heat years.

That said Im not considering him a top SG anyway.

Hes definitely an all time top shooter but all around SG... nah

Even if Ray was in his prime during those Celtics years he would still be the 3rd best player behind an older KG and Pierce, that's my point, same goes for when he on the Heat except he would be the 4th best player behind the Heat big 3
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    klay would be the 3rd/4th best player on those respective teams too.

i cant see klay leading a team any further than ray did as of now

klay better defender, ray just as good a shooter and better at everything else.

not impossible for klay to surpass but as of now, no. u ? need to stahp
  • its....JOHN B
    Ray's best scoring year was the year before he got traded to Boston, he was in his prime, either way you switch Ray with Klay on these GS teams results would be very similar, Ray was the better overall offensive player but Klay's de deserves a little more praise, I think Ray's de is underrated though he used to play Kobe and Wade really well while in Boston
  • TheGOAT
    Ray's best scoring year was the year before he got traded to Boston, he was in his prime, either way you switch Ray with Klay on these GS teams results would be very similar, Ray was the better overall offensive player but Klay's de deserves a little more praise, I think Ray's de is underrated though he used to play Kobe and Wade really well while in Boston

He was in his 13th season when he got to Boston & scored 17pts per game

He was not in his prime

Young Ray on the Bucks & Seattle years he was special.
  • its....JOHN B

He was not in his prime

Check KG and Pierce's stats and their drop in stats, it's called sacrificing stats to win
  • TheGOAT

He was not in his prime

Check KG and Pierce's stats and their drop in stats, it's called sacrificing stats to win

Understandable but they was all past their prime.

Nobody is in their prime 13seasons into their career.
  • its....JOHN B

He was not in his prime

Maybe not as athletic but from an IQ standpoint and athletic enough to dominate yea they were
  • its....JOHN B
    Type of things that don't show up on stat sheets, no one had a better year than KG that year even if they were averaging 6 more points and 5 more rebounds, stats tell a smidget of the story
  • FlightKing
    FlightKing Members Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Classic revisionist history with Ray Allen. He wasn't getting that best at his position talk in Milwaukee, Seattle, Boston or Miami. There was always multiple players better than him. Klay is.

Steph outrebounds Klay because Klay gets the primary perimeter assignment on D like Pippen did and Steph can float. Stats say one thing, watching the game shows how valuable Klay is. His driving game can get better but miss me with the handles, he doesn't need elite handles, he plays his game within his skillset.

That said...IDK bout top 5 all time. 3 spots gone off top (MJ, Kobe, Wade) so Klay getting one of the last two???
    Might be getting excited early. We'll see.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am I wrong?????

And Klay never averaged over 25-26 PPG for an entire season like Ray did in Seattle. Hell Ray Allen averaged 24.6 PPG for 5 years in Seattle. Klay's career high in 5 years is 22.1 PPG this season. Let's get real here. Ray Allen has better career stats than Klay across the board despite playing years past his prime. Klay is getting it done in the playoffs, but Ray Allen never had the talent around him Klay did til he got to Boston his 12th year in the league. Klay has always had Steph to lean on. Ray was the one everybody leaned on in Milwaukee and Seattle.

Klay is every bit the shooter Ray Allen is, if not better. But Klay doesnt have the all around game that Ray Allen did. Not like Ray Allen had a tremendous all around game, but what else does Klay bring to the table besides his scoring? He's a 6'7 guard and gets significantly out rebounded by Steph. He averages 2 assists per game. Klay rarely has a major impact on offense if he's not shooting well from 3. He's get it done on D tho.

Ray Allen , again, was playing meaningless basketball for a non descript 8 seed caliber team in Seattle. My goodness what do you think Klay would do as a #1 option.

Meanwhile Klay is a 2nd option to the best player on earth who is on oace to skyrocket to the top of the all time ranks. Its the Scottie Pippen rule. Logical basketball minds know you cant compare a sacrificing 2nd option to a #1 option on a ? team. If Ray was avg 26 and winning we could talk. But they didn't. But keep in mind: Klays career ppg is still close to Ray.

AND he may outscore Steph this playoffs- --AND sit tight the ? could even win Finals MVP. Svit this argue may be over in 2 weeks :joy: This shot aint even fair, i love Ray but his legacy is the greatest 3pt shooter and 3pt shooting guard ever, Klay is going to obliterate all his records and have rings what u gon counter with? Ray's 3 'do whatever you want " years in Seattle? Lls Please

• TheGOAT
    edited May 2016

He was not in his prime

Maybe not as athletic but from an IQ standpoint and athletic enough to dominate yea they were

An athlete not being as athletic... pretty much defines being past their prime.

KG & Allen could never land in Boston if they weren't past their prime. It wouldn't happen.

Bostons big 3 were old guys who still had mad skill. Thats why they won. Together they made up a great squad. But they weren't in their prime. Your trippin
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Klay Thompson as the go to guy would never lead a team to a NBA Finals like Drexler or Reggie. Stop it
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    Klay Thompson as the go to guy would never lead a team to a NBA Finals like Drexler or Reggie. Stop it

Why?

Because he wasn't a part of the romanticized 90s era?
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    ray allen lead the team to the playoffs, mostly 6-8th seeds with a couple top 3 seeds in there

i dont see klay doing any better than that as the 1st option, if he could even match it

people bringin up that there were multiple better shooting guards than ray

well when ray was playin so were kobe, a.i., t-mac, vince etc etc

this doesnt downplay klay but his main competition for top sg is harden, and jim buckets, ehh not quite kobe/tmac level imo.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016

Irrelevant.

Again if, IF he wins 2, 3 titles, perhaps a Finals mvp, couple all defense teams, all the 3pt records next to Steph, legendary ganes ? last night, then the subjective eye test, personal preferences, and hypotheticals will not matter.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peace_79 wrote: »

Why?

Because he wasn't a part of the romanticized 90s era?

Because he isnt the kind of player you build around as your #1 option/go to guy.

S2J acting as if Klay was the main man, he be leading his squad nba finals, nah Klay led teams would be consistent 5-8 seeds.