Spin-off: When It Comes to Dating/Marriage, To What Extent Is Compatibility Necessary or Desirable?

Options

Comments

• Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stiff wrote: »
    @Plutarch what did the old head say was the most important factor of a healthy relationship if not compatibility?

@Stiff ? , I'm trying to remember what he said. He said a lot.

I'm not sure if he pointed to a most important factor, but he definitely said compatibility is overrated and keeps people from meeting other great people whom they would've never met otherwise.

He stressed religious values and growing together as you're with someone, maybe developing compatibility later instead of demanding it upfront.

He also said that he and his wife would've been deemed incompatible, and his family hated his wife before they married, but now they're married and have a great relationship. He also said that difference makes things interesting.

As a matter of fact, he wrote a book on relationships, and I have a copy. I'll give it a read and drop some quotes. I'm not going to name names though. He's a great friend, and I respect the man. I won't have the IC clown him. I'm probably not doing him too much justice though, heh.
  • Plutarch
    Options
    Lots of good knowledge being dropped in here.
  • Plutarch
    edited May 2016
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    Bruh...what!?! :joy:

"Is it important to get along wirh someone you will spend a lot of time with?"

What am i missing here, what kind of question is this
    Trillfate wrote: »

Nah u know what he means. A lot of ppl are together out of necessity, not love or friendship..

Man, what

A lot of people go raw in unsavory women. We wouldn't make a thrad "is it smart to go raw in unsavory women?"

Its just a ? question. Who's gonna say 'nah, i prefer not to be compatible'

Bruh...don't be that guy. No diss, but aren't you the guy well-known on the IC for being a contrarian? Either that or your trolling, which is fine; it's funny, though I don't think that your "going in raw" analogy is comparable to what I'm talking about.

Let me clarify: the question is not whether it is important to get along but how important it is to be compatible. If the answer seems obvious, that's cool. You win. You get a gold star. But others, like the old head in my op, have different opinions, and I'd just like to hear them out. It's just a conversation.

Nah u know what he means. A lot of ppl are together out of necessity, not love or friendship..

Thank you!
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Regardless, it really doesn't matter in the end
    You'll be getting divorced soon enough.
  • Plutarch
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Ajackson17 wrote: »
    This is like a staunch atheist a staunch Muslim being together. ? ain't gonna work

I disagree solider.

I'm a staunch atheist, and my "wifey"/baby mom's is a Jesus freak to the 5th power!

How does it work??

I stay in my lane (I don't ridicule or mock her "adult fairy tale" beliefs, and she eventually gave up on trying to "convert"/save me.)

Apparently, our relationship is running on pure "oil & water."

See, this is what I was also looking for. I always wondered about this. It's pretty damn interesting to me.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo what you mean by compatibility
  • Plutarch
    Options

Yes, that's a vague term. I'm talking about compatibility as far as interests/passions, religion, race, outlooks on life, introvert vs. extrovert, etc. I think that this post sheds some light:
    mryounggun wrote: »
    Compatibility can mean a few different things. Me and my old lady are VERY different. We just have vastly different outlooks on life. Some people look at that as us not being compatible. But that's not how I define compatibility because, for the most part, her weaknesses are my strengths and vice verse. The ? that she pays not attention to at all...are usually things I pay close attention to. Etc, etc.

Also, it depends on how patient you are and how much work you're willing to put into your relationship. If you aren't very patient and aren't willing to put in the work to work out the kinks and get on the same page, being with someone you are very 'compatible' with is a necessity.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Compatibility, at the least, is very important and, at the most, necessary
    This is like a staunch atheist a staunch Muslim being together. ? ain't gonna work

I disagree solider.

I'm a staunch atheist, and my "wifey"/baby mom's is a Jesus freak to the 5th power!

How does it work??

I stay in my lane (I don't ridicule or mock her "adult fairy tale" beliefs, and she eventually gave up on trying to "convert"/save me.)

Hmm can't do it lol
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »

Man, what

A lot of people go raw in unsavory women. We wouldn't make a thrad "is it smart to go raw in unsavory women?"

Its just a ? question. Who's gonna say 'nah, i prefer not to be compatible'

Bruh...don't be that guy. No diss, but aren't you the guy well-known on the IC for being a contrarian? Either that or your trolling, which is fine; it's funny, though I don't think that your "going in raw" analogy is comparable to what I'm talking about.

Let me clarify: the question is not whether it is important to get along but how important it is to be compatible. If the answer seems obvious, that's cool. You win. You get a gold star. But others, like the old head in my op, have different opinions, and I'd just like to hear them out. It's just a conversation.

Nah u know what he lot of ppl are together out of necessity, not love or friendship..

Thank you!

This has gotta be a joke.

Keepin it 100 yall ? look silly calin yourself spittin knowledge on such a obvious topic

"Getting along with each other is key to a good relationship"

9qjwjzodmzdf.jpeg

Get this Magic Johnson ass thread outta here.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Relationships are tricky and depends on how you operate with people. You have to be accommodating and working hard to a goal.
  • blacktux
    blacktux Members Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Opposites do attract, but attraction isn't what makes a long term relationship last.

Its compromise.
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Theres gotta be some sort of equal interest that pulls 2 people together...right? Just an interesting dichotomy of views and interest between 2 people can be what makes them compatible.

but I don't think theres really any true blueprint to making a relationship last.
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Compatability don't determine love, just like background don't determine success in life. I get asked a lot how me and mine stand strong because we've been together longer than most couples in our circle. I always tell em put the love ahead of everything and all else will fall into place. I love hip hop, my love don't like that ? at all, i'm a homebody, she's pretty outgoing. There are other things, some big, some small that we differ in, and there are things that we have in common, but the main line is the love and respect from both sides.

When you first tell somebody you love em, most likely, you don't know to what extent, and you really ain't put enough work in to deserve to say those words like that, it's almost like the beginning of professing love is a promise ring. But there's a point where it becomes so strong, all else don't even matter, at that point, you really know what love is. Money problems, disagreements over children, in laws, all that other ? don't matter and ya'll end up being in sync with each other. I can't explain, you just have to be there. Nothing like growing together, these are the depths few reach and ain't willing to grind to in order to possess such a understanding. Don't get it ? up, it is a grind.

There is nowhere where compatibility comes into play because we simply don't see it. Well, I simply don't see it, we just work around the differences and enjoy the similarities, and just wait a while, some of those differences become similarities lol. I remember in shawshank redemption where morgan freeman said "at first you hate these walls, then there's a point where you get used to em, and after a while you need em". Love is like that. Once you put so much into a person, one day you look at em and they represent something totally different, it transcends all that compatibility ? .

@Shuffington said it really ain't a blueprint to making love last, but I disagree, there's no blueprint to birthing a love relationship, everything from match.com to waffle house after the club, I think the IC even produced some real ? . But sustaining it starts and ends with keeping the love first. Doing so gives you a patience and a willingness to understand and remain loyal through compatibility issues, weight gain, fading looks or under pressure, and won't leave you jaded over time like money and/or good sex or other ? that don't hold weight.

Keep it first always. Love tell compatibility to hop his soft ass in the back seat lol.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i can say i hate when people say marriage is like a business.

that has always been the dumbest damn comparison to me
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I disagree solider.

How does it work??

DO Ya Wife Spend Extended Hours in Bible studies??? stay Over time after Church services???

u stay in your lane alright
    anigif_optimized-22991-1431449999-11.gif

• spit_fiya
    spit_fiya Members Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i can say i hate when people say marriage is like a business.

that has always been the dumbest damn comparison to me

How is it dumb? It's also a legally binding contract; if you breach the terms in the contract, you're coming out of pocket.

• the dukester
    the dukester Members Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Regardless, it really doesn't matter in the end
    D0wn wrote: »

I disagree solider.

How does it work??

DO Ya Wife Spend Extended Hours in Bible studies??? stay Over time after Church services???

u stay in your lane alright
    anigif_optimized-22991-1431449999-11.gif

Haha, I know where you going with that pimpin.

Don't get me wrong, I've had to shut a few "inquiries" down, via the fact of my non-presence in church activities left her venerable to wolves in sheep's clothing.

Additionally, there was a particularly contentious time when our parenting philosophies clashed, based upon our differing (religious-based) her, and and my (secular-beliefs).

It's like when you first learn to ride a bicycle, and you're wobbly at first, but time , patience, and practice eventually "straightens out the wheel."

From my perspective, because I've consistently demonstrated the tenets of manhood (credit: Malcolm X) of being the protector & provider. I think that tends to trump other flaws that may be magnified, if I wasn't putting the proper work in.
  • MoneyPowerRespect
    MoneyPowerRespect Members Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just broke things off with someone who treated me decently, but we had absolutely nothing in common. No interests, hobbies, nothing. It was purely sexual and pmo..it took about 3 months for me to see it tho.

I like to read and color (the adult books) and he worked on cars. But that man liked reality tv
  • Plutarch
    Options
    I just broke things off with someone who treated me decently, but we had absolutely nothing in common. No interests, hobbies, nothing. It was purely sexual and pmo..it took about 3 months for me to see it tho.

I like to read and color (the adult books) and he worked on cars. But that man liked reality tv

interesting, but it took a whole three months?

what is "pmo"?

adult coloring books exist??
  • Plutarch
    Options
    _Lefty wrote: »
    Compatability don't determine love, just like background don't determine success in life. I get asked a lot how me and mine stand strong because we've been together longer than most couples in our circle. I always tell em put the love ahead of everything and all else will fall into place. I love hip hop, my love don't like that ? at all, i'm a homebody, she's pretty outgoing. There are other things, some big, some small that we differ in, and there are things that we have in common, but the main line is the love and respect from both sides.

When you first tell somebody you love em, most likely, you don't know to what extent, and you really ain't put enough work in to deserve to say those words like that, it's almost like the beginning of professing love is a promise ring. But there's a point where it becomes so strong, all else don't even matter, at that point, you really know what love is. Money problems, disagreements over children, in laws, all that other ? don't matter and ya'll end up being in sync with each other. I can't explain, you just have to be there. Nothing like growing together, these are the depths few reach and ain't willing to grind to in order to possess such a understanding. Don't get it ? up, it is a grind.

There is nowhere where compatibility comes into play because we simply don't see it. Well, I simply don't see it, we just work around the differences and enjoy the similarities, and just wait a while, some of those differences become similarities lol. I remember in shawshank redemption where morgan freeman said "at first you hate these walls, then there's a point where you get used to em, and after a while you need em". Love is like that. Once you put so much into a person, one day you look at em and they represent something totally different, it transcends all that compatibility ? .

@Shuffington said it really ain't a blueprint to making love last, but I disagree, there's no blueprint to birthing a love relationship, everything from match.com to waffle house after the club, I think the IC even produced some real ? . But sustaining it starts and ends with keeping the love first. Doing so gives you a patience and a willingness to understand and remain loyal through compatibility issues, weight gain, fading looks or under pressure, and won't leave you jaded over time like money and/or good sex or other ? that don't hold weight.

Keep it first always. Love tell compatibility to hop his soft ass in the back seat lol.

powerful post
  • MoneyPowerRespect
    MoneyPowerRespect Members Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

interesting, but it took a whole three months?

what is "pmo"?

adult coloring books exist??

I was dealing with their spokesman.

? me off.

Yes. They're called 'therapeutic'. But I like em.
  • Brother_Five
    Brother_Five Members Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    how are y'all defining compatibility?
    As I understand it, you can be different from someone and still be compatible.
    How would one function in a relationship with someone incompatible?
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    gns wrote: »
    Like i said "I dont know."

I think my down fall is always trying to be compatible with christian Black women even tho im more conscious than Malcolm X.
    I bring up religion because while they're at church listening to a pastor who is telling them that the reason her relationship isnt working is because he isnt there in church, receiving the word, with them, while...

We're at home playing playstation/Xbox and calling it "free time."

The hustle is real.

Conscious Black Womens FTW.

500x1000px-LL-6baadbf8_gillie.gif
    who tf does this guy think he is

Ok ghandi
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, that's a vague term. I'm talking about compatibility as far as interests/passions, religion, race, outlooks on life, introvert vs. extrovert, etc. I think that this post sheds some light:
    mryounggun wrote: »
    Compatibility can mean a few different things. Me and my old lady are VERY different. We just have vastly different outlooks on life. Some people look at that as us not being compatible. But that's not how I define compatibility because, for the most part, her weaknesses are my strengths and vice verse. The ? that she pays not attention to at all...are usually things I pay close attention to. Etc, etc.

Also, it depends on how patient you are and how much work you're willing to put into your relationship. If you aren't very patient and aren't willing to put in the work to work out the kinks and get on the same page, being with someone you are very 'compatible' with is a necessity.

By your definition, nah not at all.

I wouldn't call that compatibility though. Compatibility is more like how those traits and attributes of the two people mesh and marry. It's difficult to be general like 'two selfish people aren't compatible' coz they may have other traits that compliment each other eg they may be attracted to each other's ambition.
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Last woman I tried to be with that wasn't compatible did nothing but give me headaches and argue over our different views. I need someone who is willing to understand me and someone who I can understand without it turning into a fight.