Guy runs over memorial day crosses

Options
Max.
Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2016 in For The Grown & Sexy
CjlJMJlWEAAcL8K.jpg

ap_memorial_damage_160528_12x5_1600-696x291.jpg

According to Henderson Police Public Information Officer Jennifer Richmond, Anthony Burrus, 27, was arrested in connection with the incident that took place in Central Park at around 6 a.m. where nearly 200 Memorial day crosses were plowed over by his car.

The vehicle Burrus was driving, a 1979 Ford Thunderbird, was found with pieces of the crosses embedded in the tires, after he abandoned the vehicle at a nearby McDonald’s. According to Richmond, Burrus admitted to driving his car earlier that morning, but denied having any connection with the vandalism. After a thorough police investigation, Burrus was found and arrested at his sister’s apartment complex and is being charged with first degree criminal mischief as well as leaving the scene of an accident.

Over 150 crosses were knocked down, and 20 were completely destroyed.
Over 150 crosses were knocked down, and 20 were completely destroyed.
Richmond said that a number of tips, Facebook posts, and vehicle searches led officers to make the connections necessary for the arrest of Burrus. The Memorial Day display in Central Park has more than 5000 crosses, each bearing a name of a local resident who served in the military. After hearing the horrible news of the act of vandalism that took place, friends and families all came to check and see if one of their loved one’s crosses had been amongst those that were destroyed.

“For somebody to do this to a veteran who gave his life, I don’t understand. I don’t have any words. I’m speechless,” Jim Hanley, a member of the Legion, said Saturday morning.

Members of the Henderson Fire Department, the WARM Center, and local residents joined members of the American Legion to repair the display.
Members of the Henderson Fire Department, the WARM Center, and local residents joined members of the American Legion to repair the display.

Comments