Agree or Disagree: Gaming Journalism Is A Joke

Options
MrCrookedLetter
MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

Comments

• KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree. I remember specifically giving up on reading Gamespot back in the Playstation Era when they knocked points off Smackdown for hair not moving right. The reviewer literally went off on some two paragraph tangent about hair physics in a wrestling game before ultimately giving the game a great score.

I just get demos, download ? for PC, or wait until the price is super low before I buy games now. If I can't do any of that, I go to YouTube where actual humans review things and see if they mention stuff I find important.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Lmfao IGN lowered a Pokemon game cuz it had too much water
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Oh the Pokemon one is in the video. Yeah Patricia Hernandez is trash as ?
  • ethos
    ethos Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agree, I don't even read reviews anymore. Just last paragraph comments and YouTube video of gameplay. .
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The only joke is how so many lame ? get so offended by review scores.

There was a petition to remove a negative review of Uncharted 4 from Metacritic because super fans weren't happy with it. Smh
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agreed. Not because of reviews but the general approach to most articles. Too many biased fanboys turned armchair reporters. Not enough objectivity. Best days of gaming journalism were when EGM and Gamepro were in their primes.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »
    The only joke is how so many lame ? get so offended by review scores.

There was a petition to remove a negative review of Uncharted 4 from Metacritic because super fans weren't happy with it. Smh

Nope the petition was because the actual review from the Washington Post was not put up, which was a perfect score. Metacritic put up a separate article that had no review score. Actually know what you are talking about before you speak, just saying.

Anyway gaming journalism has always been garbage. Just used to look at screenshots in magazines and websites.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've read the petition and the guy who wrote it clearly states how the review shouldn't stand because of how perfect he believes the game to be.

"Im sorry but when having too much detail became a bad thing , this reviewer is out of his mind. I believe U4 is one of the greatest games ever created and it is my personal favorite for sure , although i can justify some reviewers giving it a 9 or an 8. But this is an utter disgrace. Gene , because you were the only respectable staff that responded to this nonsense , you should remove this review from the Metacritic , and post a new , sensible one that can justify its existence. You're Washington post for Christ's Sake , not a 12-year-old's diary. Treat the game with professionalism and respect.

https://www.change.org/p/washington-post-remove-the-washington-post-review-from-uncharted-4-s-metascore"

Read it. The cornball is clearly mad about the review affecting Uncharteds Metacritic score.

Actually know what you are talking about before you speak. Just saying.
  • Bazz-B
    Bazz-B Members Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sometimes you got to play it yourself to see if you truly like it.
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Journalism as a whole is trash, from video games to media, to sports.....Look at Bayless and Stephen A Smith, they are called experts lol
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lmfao IGN lowered a Pokemon game cuz it had too much water

Lmao I remember that. How you knock off points on a REMAKE on something that existed in the original.
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I only watch Video reviews, that way I can see them game play

Besides, the average youtuber makes better reviews than these ? gaming sites nowadays.

The last gaming journalism website I gave a ? about was gametrailers
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Journalism in general seems to be in pretty bad shape. Unlike politics, social commentary, finance, or other issues though there is no New York Times or Atlantic for gaming. The gaming industry needs to have a New Yorker type of magazine. This will be difficult to do though because a lot of gamers are young, although this trend is changing.

It would be sick if there was a Hunter S Thompson kind of journalist who could dig up dirt and give the readers good journalism. Considering how much controversy there is surrounding gaming right now I'm surprised no one is out there doing that
  • anduin
    anduin Members Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Agree, after gamespot fired that writer for giving kane & lynch a bad review while they advertised on the site was all you needed as proof of the rampant hypocrisy. Random youtubers who show you in game footage and provide meaningful analysis of the game are a far more valuable tool than reading reviews. In the 90s when you flipped through a gaming magazines, a 5/5 game meant something and didn't get that stamp unless it really deserved it. Now you can't tell who's being paid for their opinion until it's blatant but apparently it's rampant throughout the industry.