Jemele Hill: ‘Never Seen’ Open Disrespect Other Players Show Steph Curry

2stepz_ahead
2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2016 in From the Cheap Seats
http://radio.cbssports.com/2016/05/31/jemele-hill-stephen-curry-disrespect-lebron-james-nba-finals-russell-westbrook-kevin-durant/

On the latest episode of Michael Rapaport’s I AM RAPAPORT: STEREO PODCAST on CBS Radio’s Play.it podcast network, Michael spoke with ESPN’s Jemele Hill about all things NBA Finals.

In addition to discussing the greatness of the Golden State Warriors’ backcourt of Klay Thompson and Stephen Curry, the two addressed a troubling trend that arose as the Warriors began to falter early in the Western Conference Finals to the Oklahoma City Thunder: the world started to turn against Stephen Curry.

“Could you have imagined this Curry backlash?” Rapaport incredulously asked Hill. “Could you have imagined so fast, people turning on Curry so quick? And why do you think that happened? Because, as far a sports guy and like a hero, he’s you’d want. But then he has a couple of bad games and he’s on the ropes and just like, boom. People are laughing at him, giggling at him, talking ‘greazy,’ what’s that all about?”

“I knew it would happen eventually, because eventually it happens to everybody,” Hill said. “Because success does breed contempt for a lot of people. But here’s the thing: there’s so many layers to the Steph Curry hatred.”

Some of those layers, Hill pointed out, are the older generation of players like Charles Barkley and Oscar Robertson, who aren’t a fan of the way Steph plays. Then there are the people who feel like Steph is a ‘package’ that’s too good to be true and is being forced upon them with his perfect family and stellar image and play.

On top of that, Hill added, Curry is “light-skinned” and that’s “exposed this deeper level of insecurity within black people that they have when it comes to skin tone.”

Because of all those reasons, Hill said, Steph has been disrespected to a whole new level and even NBA players are taking shots at the league MVP.

“You’ve got to understand, it’s not just people on Twitter and social media that hate,” Hill said. “The open disrespect that he’s shown by other players I’ve never seen before. It’s completely crazy. For LeBron, to all of a sudden, unprovoked, go into this conversation about what value is in the NBA, it’s like, he wouldn’t have done that if Russell Westbrook won it. Then you have (Damian) Lillard dropping the tweet ‘no excuses’, like, they didn’t do that with LeBron, they didn’t even do that with Dirk Nowitzki! People are going in on him and his team got sent home in the first round the year he won the MVP. And yet it’s completely acceptable to do it with Steph.”

You can hear Hill’s entire interview beginning at 21:50 along with interviews with Marv Albert, Marc Stein and the Warriors house DJ, D-Sharp, on the latest episode of the I AM RAPAPORT: STEREO PODCAST.

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    and here i thought i was the only one
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    I believe the hate comes from him being somewhat meek in there eyes. He doesnt have any real physical qualities that seem overwhelming. He is quick and can shoot it from anywhere. Isnt that a quality that alot of NBA players have? But he took that quality and up the ante. He is quick as hell and can literally shoot from anywhere on the court and you think it is going in.

Lebron - big and fast
    Westbrook - fast, strong and aggressive
    Durant - tall and skilled
    Harden - Offensive juggernaut
    D Lillard - Fast and aggressive
    Even his own teammate gets more respect I think.
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think any hate curry receives is in part due to the gap between the real steph curry and the narrative version
  • BigBallsNoWorries
    BigBallsNoWorries Members Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a combo of things

Him with his "wholesome" image, his nice wife and family

And then his skill set with being able to shoot from anywhere

Especially from the 3 range with incredible accuracy

Thats what make him hated and despised

Ppl just like to hate on success
  • Knightryder
    Knightryder Members Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Disrespect? He was the first unanimous MVP in league history. To me he is one of the quickest players to have an entire wave of stans who defend him and praise him for everything he does and refuse to critique him. The same people who hate lebron for being cocky and celebrating turn a blind eye to curry when he does the same.

Curry being cocky and celebrating after shots, because ? in the nba was hating on him......

Steph wasnt dancing and being cocky last year when they was on the come up.......

he got the right to style on ? , after fans media and the nba players try to ? on him after
    they won the title..........now he showing and proving........

lebron on the other hand was on some super cocky ? ......aint no hate was coming his way....
    just because he felt he was better and his team was better he felt like he had to show up
    other teams.....

dancing on the sidelines with danny green while they was dumping on the bulls......
    making fun of dirk, being sick in the finals......
    Taking fake azz pictures with his teamates on the court
    that entire concert he had in miami............

lebron been a clown since 07
  • 2stepz_ahead
    MD_PROPER wrote: »
    Its petty and weak on the part of those hating on this boy

Just let him be great..

every and any player can be hated on.
    it usually brings up good debates about strengths and weaknesses, whos better and supporting cast
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's because he not supposed to be here.
    At most all anyone could say is he'd be a really good player. No one would've guessed he'd be a two time MVP dominating the league.

As far as storylines go we kind of know who the league picks to be that ? . Steph came up and said nah I got next. It was supposed to be Lebron then KD next I'm line to have the league by the throat. People hate because they didn't see it coming and it happened so fast. They feel as if it's not real or it won't last.

? knew Steph was good they didn't know he'd be THIS good and that success breeds envy.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Disrespect? He was the first unanimous MVP in league history. To me he is one of the quickest players to have an entire wave of stans who defend him and praise him for everything he does and refuse to critique him. The same people who hate lebron for being cocky and celebrating turn a blind eye to curry when he does the same.

Well to be fair, her major point was that he's getting a lot of hate from other players that seems unprecedented. I think there is some merit to that. I mean as much ? as Lebron has pulled, players weren't out there throwing shots at him.
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's because he not supposed to be here.
    At most all anyone could say is he'd be a really good player. No one would've guessed he'd be a two time MVP dominating the league.

As far as storylines go we kind of know who the league picks to be that ? . Steph came up and said nah I got next. It was supposed to be Lebron then KD next I'm line to have the league by the throat. People hate because they didn't see it coming and it happened so fast. They feel as if it's not real or it won't last.

? knew Steph was good they didn't know he'd be THIS good and that success breeds envy.

this line is what i think ? some nba players off on the low

as if steph is the most improbable 'rose that grew from concrete' story ever

he had a more privileged upbringing than most if not all his peers

though i get what youre saying
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steph really came outta the blue tho I never saw him coming

? I still be kinda shocked
  • 2stepz_ahead
    im glad it can be a nice debate in here without it getting off topic and disrespectful.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    i wonder if rondo was in stephs place on the warriors....how he would do
  • Beta
    Beta Members Posts: 65,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As far as other players, I feel as if his on the court demeanor is off putting to the opposition

Too much soft shoe, chest thumping,and overall theatrics during the game

Combine that to the perception of him not being a tough player
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lmao. That ? is arrogant as ? on the court and a goodie two shoes off it.

Being frail and looking anything but the part doesn't help either.

I could see NBA players from the gutter that haven't sniffed his level of success resenting that.
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    His on court attitude is highly disrespectful

you mean like when his lil ass comes down the lane and you cringe, only to see him lob sumn over everybody's head and off the glass.....then gets up and flexes them mosquito bites on em?

that ? is ? hilarious to me.....somebody gone lose it on him one day

i been having this argument with all the homies lately and im tired of it.....the man is great....in his own way...but great....and just fun to watch....the whole team is really.....i wasnt tuned in to his come up but its hard not to root for him....and im a natural underdog fan....i never liked Kobe or Lebron.....respected their greatness and gave much due props but i didnt like them cuz they were THAT good....i guess thats the feeling Curry is giving people now
  • CashmoneyDux
    CashmoneyDux Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

This. But people won't admit to being Stans