"Mission Impossible: Black Aren't Feeling Analytics "

Options
S2J
S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
Undefeated did a piece and now they talkin about it on Sportscenter

rfeugsd7tai2.png

Im not feelin these monolithic characterizations, but is there a point?

The gist of the sportcenter argument was that 'we' dont care about analytics and thats contributing to us not gettin jobs

https://theundefeated.com/features/mission-impossible-african-americans-analytics/

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I dont give a ? about analytics beyond player/team trends.. oh they like to shoot the corner 3.. oh they dont have midrange shooters, Player x likes to work from here 90% of the time ? that neo stat ? . its the new... Euro in the NBA.. The game is fluid and needs to be seen...

• S2J
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have to admit i see the point. On a micro scale in CS, when some nerd ass ?
    brings up usage rates and this n that i immediately know he never played. Or he sucks

So i can see how a league of predominantly black players would scoff at ? who never played the game MAKING themselves relevant. Most of the time the analytics are supposed to just be helpful in an auxiliary capacity, not hw deciding factor
  • S2J
    Options
    Analytics are telling players to only shoot the 3 or in the paint :joy: Westbrook is Westbrook bc of that mid range. Lebron may retire with only 2 rings bc of no mid range. Jordan waa Jorsan bc of mid range
  • Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I think it's a misleading premise. It's a small subset of white execs pushing the analytics ? , and a majority of the longer tenured white execs don't go for it either. No reason to make this a race thing imo.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, analytics can show tendencies and efficiency ratings which can then afford the players and coaches the opportunity to mold their game to be more effective.

If LeBron hits something crazy like 60% from 3 in the corner spots, then he can give a serious look into spotting up in that area more, or the coach can create a set that ends in LeBron shooting from his corner 3 hotspot.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    Analytics are telling players to only shoot the 3 or in the paint :joy: Westbrook is Westbrook bc of that mid range. Lebron may retire with only 2 rings bc of no mid range. Jordan waa Jorsan bc of mid range

But what team just went 73-9, making them the greatest regular season team of all-time? And who is it being led by offensively? A guy who can hit 3s like FTs and another guy who can hit 3s like layups.

Two 3point shots = Three mid range shots.
    Sixteen 3 point shots = Twenty-four mid range shots.
    etc.

If you make the 3 around the same percentage that others make mid range shots, you will always win the game. It's obviously easier said than done, due to the skill level required to hit from that far consistently.
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options

Comprehensive data sets may reflect the collective output of systemic behavior...

But the quantitative effects of reality, do not convey reality itself ... Obviously.

Without context, all that ? is completely useless.
    With context, all that ? is incredibly helpful.

Making personnel and monetary decisions based solely on analytics, is bizarre behavior indeed.

These dudes are either idiots, or the truth is far more sinister ...

• NothingButTheTruth
    Options

But what team just went 73-9, making them the greatest regular season team of all-time? And who is it being led by offensively? A guy who can hit 3s like FTs and another guy who can hit 3s like layups.

etc.

If you make the 3 around the same percentage that others make mid range shots, you will always win the game. It's obviously easier said than done, due to the skill level required to hit from that far consistently.
    The thing is is those two ? are aliens.. ability>>> probability

Not really, they just spent a lot of time practicing the 3 shot. It's their style of play and the freedom to continue to jack what most would consider terrible shots with limited repercussions. If someone like Kyrie who we know can hit the 3 in his sleep, starting shooting shots like that, his coach would sit him down with the quickness.

Confidence and the system you play in go a very long way. They're just opening up the league to a new style of play.
  • #1hiphopjunki3
    #1hiphopjunki3 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

etc.

You make some good points but like @playmaker88 stated the Warriors have 2 players who are the exception and not the rule along with a perfectly built team around their skills to maximize the teams potential. Both your points come together though to make that team as great as it has been the last few seasons and that's the beauty of this discussion because in order to build better teams you need both ways of analyzing talent.

Analytics are just another tool in the box to help make successful teams and shouldn't be looked at as the fix it all for team building. I will say just by looking at a few of the post in the Cheap Seats and even it this thread that it's true that a decent amount of black folks scoff at the information that is readily available out there which is unwise though
  • 5onblackhandside
    5onblackhandside Members Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    keep it simple stupid
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Analytics is ? .

If Analytics were the gospel, we'd be watching a OKC vs. Cle NBA Finals, after they went up 3-1.

If Analytics were the truth, there's no way P. Manning would've won that SB, playing the way he did.

The games still have to be played. All analytics are is using numbers for advance probability, but the golden rule in sports is: you don't know for certain what will happen till the game starts.

Maybe black folk as a whole are too cynical to believe in this ? . All this does is just ensure guys have jobs on ESPN and Fox Sports a while longer.
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Mister B. wrote: »
    Analytics is ? .

If Analytics were the gospel, we'd be watching a OKC vs. Cle NBA Finals, after they went up 3-1.

If Analytics were the truth, there's no way P. Manning would've won that SB, playing the way he did.

The games still have to be played. All analytics are is using numbers for advance probability, but the golden rule in sports is: you don't know for certain what will happen till the game starts.

Maybe black folk as a whole are too cynical to believe in this ? . All this does is just ensure guys have jobs on ESPN and Fox Sports a while longer.

I don't think you understand what analytics is lol

But yeah it ain't the end all be all.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Brecking down tendencies/patterns and percentages of those tendencies/patterns is fine.

But when you start using ? like Wins above Replacement gtfoh with that bulshit
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ehh I agree with most, analytics is a nice lil side tool, not the main tool. People go too far with it. Like I get per or per 36, but some of the ? ESPN or bleacher report talk about is crazy
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First off, dismissing those who participate in analytics because they never played the game is foolish. there have been a shitload of execs in professional sports who never played the game

Also, I can understand both arguments (for vs against analytics) but I dont like the generalization that analytics are something black people aren't interested in. analytics being for white nerds only. it gives the impression black people aren't smart enough to comprehend, or too ignorant and stubborn to give analytics a chance.

America doesnt do that well in math as a whole anyway. People interested in advanced analytics is a small group within itself. And due to the demographics, its no surprise that white people seem to be the face of this. they are the majority. But that doesn't mean analytics isnt for blacks. Did yall not see this in the article?
    "Don’t tell me that there are no black people who are good at math. There are black people who expert at qualitative analysis,” Elhassan said. “I worry that it becomes a way to exclude. Don’t tell me there aren’t any black people on Wall Street who are passionate about basketball. These people exist. Wall Streeters, people with qualitative analysis backgrounds. I know them. I went to school with them. I just don’t believe that one ethnicity is more predisposed to this than another"

If blacks interested in analytics are looking for jobs in the NBA yet aren't getting hired, then analytics isnt the problem.
  • S2J
    edited June 2016
    Options

etc.

Was just having this argument with a dude whosaid GS is changing the game. They really arent changing it to THAT level bc its just a wild coincidence, the stars aligning, that Steph and Klay are on the same damn team. 2 shooters, 2 quick release shooters, 2 sons of players, hell 1 being the son of ANOTHER all time shooter??

Its like kobe n shaq inside outside , jordan n pip length and athleticism wise, now GS shooting wise.

Go head, duplicate it. Just chuck contested threes, quickly, and hit em at 45%. Good luck
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? act like that ? is easy.

"See, it's cuz analytics" ...

Nah it's cuz the best shooting Backourt of all time.
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bring up analytics in the barbershop and you gonna get roasted and calculator took