Y'all play Fire Emblem?

Options
vespesianus
vespesianus Members Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
Was a big fan of Fire Emblem Awakening, that ? took me months to finish, worth every penny.

Spent $200 to cop the special edition of Fates, which is the most I've ever spent on software in one go.

Not really too deep in it yet but I'm loving the new innovations. Would have been easy to make small incremental changes and call it a new game, but tons of new battle classes, weapon classes, items, map interactions. Happy they removed the weapon usage limit too, having to constantly buy new weapons for 30+ characters in Awakening was stupid. Difficulty has been ramped up a notch as well, game is hard AF, especially if you play on Classic like I do.

I rarely ever use my 3DS but I had to get this, anyone else playing Fates?

Comments

• Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I've played every fire emblem released, except for the newest one. There used to be a community that translated all of the games into English on ROMs back in the day.
  • Blazedadon87x
    Blazedadon87x Members Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i want to start playing it because it looks like a cool game and series to get into,but i gotta take time to learn the game play mechanics and battle system since its different from turn based rpgs im used to like Chrono Trigger,Pokemon,and Final Fantasy
  • Paprika
    Paprika Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I haven't picked up Fates but Awakening is a top 5 game on the 3DS. I recently beat it after my save was overwritten.

How's the difficulty in this one? Are you still able to be a one-man wrecking machine with the main character?
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    fire emblem is dope because strategy actually matters. if a character is killed, their gone forever
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Awakening was pretty goat, but mad easy compared to the other ones. I can see why they did it, but still.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Fire Emblem the main reason I wanna get a DS but I've never made the jump.

I hope Nintendo drops one for the NX. If the handheld/console combi rumours are true, I guess they will
  • vespesianus
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Paprika wrote: »
    I haven't picked up Fates but Awakening is a top 5 game on the 3DS. I recently beat it after my save was overwritten.

How's the difficulty in this one? Are you still able to be a one-man wrecking machine with the main character?

It seems more difficult than the last one. If you're playing on Classic, the margin for error is actually a lot less than in Awakening. One wrong move and you restarting that map...

Nah, in Awakening Frederick was that dude for the first 10-12 chapters, you could just send him in, sit back, and watch the bodies pile up, but there isn't anyone like that in Fates. Main character is kind of weak (maybe he/she gets stronger later on I dunno.)
  • vespesianus
    Options
    Abraxas wrote: »
    Awakening was pretty goat, but mad easy compared to the other ones. I can see why they did it, but still.

It was easy but 'easy' is relative, it's still tougher than most RPGs nowadays. And some of the side stories (at least stories 20-23) were legit kinda difficult. I never finished that one where it was like 30 of your guys vs. 50 enemies (ss 23, I think)