2015-16 Warriors vs 1986-87 Lakers

Options
S2J
S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2016 in From the Cheap Seats
Lets leave the nostalgia and "everything old is better than everything new" at the door. The 'U serious?!?! ? , this isnt even a debate!!" crowd can kick rocks also. If u feel Lakers are better and its not close , say why. Simple. Same for GS

Warriors
Steph
Klay
Barnes
Draymond
Bogut
----
Iggy
Speights
Barbosa
Livingston

Lakers
Magic
Byron Scott
Worthy
AC Green
Kareem
---
M. Thompson
Cooper
Rambis

2015-16 Warriors vs 1986-87 Lakers 33 votes

Lakers ? GS
45%
Alpha_Ambition damnkptoheeb27aneed123d.green2stepz_aheadcoltonbless the childNothingButTheTruthShizlanskyBetaSolitary Soldiereastbay5105 GrandRevolver Ocelot 15 votes
GS ? Lakers
6%
gnsblu197 2 votes
Lakers Slight Edge
33%
S2JPanchoYoSanchoThe Lonious Monknujerz84texasdaking88StoneColdMikeythegreatunknowntwentyfivelightersprime_time_willy804Beefer77 11 votes
GS Slight Edge
9%
af.r.i.c.a.ZydecoShawtyTrillfate 3 votes
Push/ Even Matchup/ IDK
6%
I Self Lord & Mastermrtdb 2 votes

Comments

• mrtdb
    mrtdb Members Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Push/ Even Matchup/ IDK
    Golden State can drop those 3's and they can score in a hurry...
    but OKC showed us what happens when they play a team full of length that can defend...and the 1986 Lakers?...

d27b4avxu8ok.jpg

...Nothing but length...they're tall enough to rebound and defend at every position.

The thing about Golden State is that they're all dependent on their jump shots....if they're hitting shots it's almost impossible to guard them regardless of how tall you are. Have to press someone from half court is going to create holes in your defense.

That's why I say even...it all depends on if the shots are falling...that's why we saw games were OKC whooped Golden State's ass...and games where Golden State was returning the favor.
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Lakers ? GS
    Yeah, this is ridiculous.

GS have no match for Magic, Kareem and Worthy.

Cooper is a former DPOTY and all-time defender.

Lakers averaged 118 points a game with hand checking and everything else that was allowed.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't have a horse in this race but this dude said that James Worthy was overrated. My ? expressions was

4n3lz2a018bl.jpg
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lock this stupid thread
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Options
    An improved Curry a few years down the road, would be needed to make this close... A Curry that isn't bothered at all by physicality or length, and a Curry that can hold his own defensively against elite offensive players with a size advantage.

Thompson would have to be special as well and the GS bench would need to be explosive.

Too much talent, length and size to contend with. And Curry would have to be a step above Magic ...

As it stands, they ain't ? with Showtime.
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GS ? Lakers
    Honestly Showtime would get ran out the gym, GS is easily the better defensive team, both teams play at fast pace but GS does it from the 3, the Lakers best 3pt shooters were Cooper and Scott and everyone else wasn't a threat from deep, GS would clog the paint/mid range bc Lakers can't stretch the floor...

Also GS is more athletic than Showtime, especially when you go into the bench match ups..
  • S2J
    Options
    Lakers Slight Edge
    d.green wrote: »
    I dont have anything substantive to say.
    detcatinva wrote: »
    i rely on popular opinion to speak for me

The door is. ---->>>> that way..
  • S2J
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Lakers Slight Edge
    My vote is Lakers. To the people who laugh at GS even being in this discussion tho, lets look at the contradiction

Generally accepted premise: The west is STACKED. Historically stacked.

Fact: GS goes 73-9

Contradiction: This aint even a discussion

Somethin aint addin up. Bottom line Golden State has earned the right to have this discussion, deal with it.
  • prime_time_willy
    prime_time_willy Members Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lakers Slight Edge
    mrtdb wrote: »
    Golden State can drop those 3's and they can score in a hurry...
    but OKC showed us what happens when they play a team full of length that can defend...and the 1986 Lakers?...

d27b4avxu8ok.jpg

...Nothing but length...they're tall enough to rebound and defend at every position.

The thing about Golden State is that they're all dependent on their jump shots....if they're hitting shots it's almost impossible to guard them regardless of how tall you are. Have to press someone from half court is going to create holes in your defense.

That's why I say even...it all depends on if the shots are falling...that's why we saw games were OKC whooped Golden State's ass...and games where Golden State was returning the favor.

I agree with this pretty much but I give the edge to the Lakers. The old heads all year talked about if you get in GState face and get get physical you can slow them down because they're so reliant on the jump shot and we saw that against OKC. I would pick the Lakers in 6 but the Warriors would always have a chance against anyone because how lethal their shooting is.
  • prime_time_willy
    prime_time_willy Members Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lakers Slight Edge
    S2J wrote: »
    My vote is Lakers. To the people who laugh at GS even being in this discussion tho, lets look at the contradiction

Generally accepted premise: The west is STACKED. Historically stacked.
    Fact: GS goes 73-9

Contradiction: This aint even a discussion

Somethin aint addin up. Bottom line Golden State has earned the right to have this discussion, deal with it.

The west was actually weakier this year than I can remember in recent memory. It was generally accepted that it was a lock for a Warriors vs Spurs Conference finals then the Thunder just rose up and started taking ? lunch money lol.
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GS ? Lakers
    V9gF2F.gif
    ? all them old ? talking bout they coulda wouldas
    Young ? studied the tapes, the barbaric ways of defending is gone, new ? are way more athletic and shoot better
    Going with gsw shout out my ? kareem tho

old ass clown sitcho old ass down
    Lets some young ? eat sitcho old ass down
    -hitman holla
  • S2J
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Lakers Slight Edge
    I pick Lakers and Bulls to beat GS bc of 1 main reason (aside from Jordan) : both teams are kinda modern in that they both have agile PFs to counter Draymond and subsequently the "death lineup"

Lakers could play Worthy, Green, and Magic at the 4 in small bal

Bulls had Rodman

To go further, he Kobe gasol lakera had Odom and that okc size

On he flip, shaq and kobe lakers or the 80s Celtics? Id take GS
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lakers ? GS
    Bruh... Magic Johnson and Kareem. No debate.
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lakers ? GS
    Who checking Magic?
    Who checking Worthy
    Who checking KAJ

GS would get points early but they will get ate up on calls as the game goes on because on the size difference.
  • blu197
    Options
    GS ? Lakers
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    Who checking Magic?
    Who checking Worthy
    Who checking KAJ

GS would get points early but they will get ate up on calls as the game goes on because on the size difference.

Klay/Green locking down Magic
    Iggy locking down Worthy
    Bogut doin a decent job on Kareem

GS wins this by 10+, like I said Showtime is wack from 3 and they have average to poor defenders besides Cooper and Worthy
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Lakers ? GS
    Green and Klay can't stop LBJ from big boying them ? . So they ain't doing to magic either.

Iggy and Worthy is a good matchup

And KAJ would absolutely destroy Bogut.
  • blu197
    Options
    GS ? Lakers
    Green and Klay can't stop LBJ from big boying them ? . So they ain't doing to magic either.

Iggy and Worthy is a good matchup

And KAJ would absolutely destroy Bogut.

Lbj is shootin 23/60 in the Finals so far and has been a turnover machine, don't what games you've been watchin sayin that "big boy" ? , and plus Lbj frame is twice as big as Magic, Bogut would guard Kareem similar to how Parish did, he won't completely shut him down but Kareem not droppin more than 30pts
  • twentyfivelighters
    twentyfivelighters Members Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lakers Slight Edge
    blu197 wrote: »
    Who checking Magic?
    Who checking Worthy
    Who checking KAJ

Iggy locking down Worthy

GS wins this by 10+, like I said Showtime is wack from 3 and they have average to poor defenders besides Cooper and Worthy

nah. Biggest reason I give it to the Lakers though is because of Kareem. Can't say this Warriors squad would get killed either.
  • blu197
    Options
    GS ? Lakers
    blu197 wrote: »
    Who checking Magic?
    Who checking Worthy
    Who checking KAJ

Iggy locking down Worthy

nah. Biggest reason I give it to the Lakers though is because of Kareem. Can't say this Warriors squad would get killed either.

Bruh this '87 Kareem, dude wasn't an unstoppable force on Offense in '87... Bogut could contain him
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hand checking is an overrated defensive scheme if you even want to call it that. Idk why yall bring that up like its the end all be all of defense.

Besides the scoring average in the 80s was much higher than it is now so that point is moot.
  • thegreatunknown
    thegreatunknown Members Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lakers Slight Edge
    Lifelong Lakers fan.. This series would be much tighter than most believe. I saw the 87-88 Lakers play..I think they win in six, but with no blowouts and maybe an overtime game or two, that's why I chose slight edge. Warriors would have no answer for Kareem though..
  • S2J
    Options
    Lakers Slight Edge
    Bruh... Magic Johnson and Kareem. No debate.

Kareem was 39 in 86, 87.

This is what im talking about. ..
  • S2J
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Lakers Slight Edge
    Who checking Magic?
    Who checking Worthy
    Who checking KAJ

My ? what does this even mean?

Like that team was a product of pure clear outs and 1 on 1.

Gs is actually equipped better than most to guard Magic bc of Klay and Iggy. You speak as if they not clamping down a very comparable offensive player in Lebron now..???? ?

As far as Jabbar, again, he was FORTY. Bogut and Ezeli

Worthy gon get his lil 20 but 'who gon guard him' what does that even mean? !?!? Like Worthy was prone to 40 point outbursts. Draymond would be just fine.

The more we go down the line the more we realize how maliable this GS team is. Has speed, length, size, 2 top notch wing defenders. Tough. Its close
  • S2J
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Lakers Slight Edge
    Karem Abdul Jabbar 1987-88 stats

Regular season: 14ppg, 6 prg, 1 bpg, 30mpg
    Playoffs: 14ppg, 5.5rpg, 1.5bpg, 3pmpg

? keep wondering why i post like i know more than ? ... :joy: Aint my ? fault
  • Shizlansky
    Options
    Lakers ? GS
    I didn't even look at the year

Why would you even pick that year?