2015-16 Warriors vs 1986-87 Lakers

2»

Comments

• T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate that Worthy sustained an ankle injury in 91 & knee injury in 92. He was damn near done after that. Those two injuries robbed him from his quickness & leaping.
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lakers ? GS
    If they playing 80's ball Lakers gonna ? em, back when you could assault ? and the referee's would just give you the Kanye shrug. If they playing under today's NBA I still think Lakers win but it a 6/7 game series.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    I'll go with show time
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lakers ? GS
    ? done really smoke some good ? today
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lakers ? GS
    I guess golden state beats every team now... man get ? outta here
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Lakers ? GS
    S2J wrote: »
    Karem Abdul Jabbar 1987-88 stats

Regular season: 14ppg, 6 prg, 1 bpg, 30mpg
    Playoffs: 14ppg, 5.5rpg, 1.5bpg, 3pmpg

? keep wondering why i post like i know more than ? ... :joy: Aint my ? fault

But the thread title says 1986-1987, so Kareem's putting up 18ppg, 7rpg 57% regular season, and playoffs: 19ppg, 7rpg, 2bpg 53% and he's 7'2. He's too skilled for Bogut and far too big for anyone else.

Wait, wasn't wackass no offense having Steven Adams stuntin on Golden State due to his height advantage? Yeah, they'd get embarrassed by old ass Kareem and Magic in the post. Lakers take it in 5.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lakers Slight Edge
    aneed123 wrote: »

Co sign.

Warriors vs 07 Patriots - who wins?
    804 Members Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lakers Slight Edge

Co sign.

I'm confused as to how a team that won the most games in a season all time coming off a championship, whilst playing in the championship for the second consecutive season, is inappropriately matched against these Lakers. Pull your head out of your ass and open your eyes. If you think this is a wash, then you don't know basketball.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lakers ? GS
    Bruh... Magic Johnson and Kareem. No debate.

Kareem was 39 in 86, 87.

This is what im talking about. ..

And as soon as you explain who's gonna guard Kareem Abdul Jabbar we can close the thread.
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take that thunder team, make them better coached and give steven adams super powers, slow westbrook down, make him smarter and 6'9" and distibute durants skills evenly to the rest of the starting 5 and you essentially have the 86-87 lakers. They would win going away. Theres no matchup in the league for them.

Remember, the clippers made things difficult with a good point guard and a center with no post moves. Imagine magic and kareem. That lakers team checked a lot of boxes. I give gs a punchers chance, but that lakers squad could switch everything and shrink the floor with their length. Its easier to chase shooters off 3s when you know you got size behind you.

Crossmatching would give the lakers fits if they decide to start running, but they dont have an anchor, and they have no answer for cap.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lakers Slight Edge
    Curry and Klay are good, but are we really going to act like they don't wither a little when faced with decent defense? The Lakers could put enough pressure on them to pull off a win.
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Curry and Klay are good, but are we really going to act like they don't wither a little when faced with decent defense? The Lakers could put enough pressure on them to pull off a win.

This is an exaggeration ... but not by too much.

Length and consistent physicality can bother them. I think that can change if they get tougher and more resilient, but as of now - due to their era, that's just the way it is.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Lakers Slight Edge
    _Lefty wrote: »
    Take that thunder team, make them better coached and give steven adams super powers, slow westbrook down, make him smarter and 6'9" and distibute durants skills evenly to the rest of the starting 5 and you essentially have the 86-87 lakers. They would win going away. Theres no matchup in the league for them.

Remember, the clippers made things difficult with a good point guard and a center with no post moves. Imagine magic and kareem. That lakers team checked a lot of boxes. I give gs a punchers chance, but that lakers squad could switch everything and shrink the floor with their length. Its easier to chase shooters off 3s when you know you got size behind you.

Crossmatching would give the lakers fits if they decide to start running, but they dont have an anchor, and they have no answer for cap.

@ bolded are you being sarcastic? ? :joy:

Magic is a slower , taller, smarter Westbrook? ...yea so thats a completely different player

The funy part is 'whos gonna stop Kareem'

Again, this is not an all-time battle, we are talking about a specific year, where Kareem was almost 40. Andrew Bogut and Festus Ezeli are MORE THAN ENOUGH to just mitigate Kareem. Too many people het caught up in the whole 'shut down/ destroy ' frame of mind, like its either he scores 10 or he scores 40. The man was 40 years old he averaged 18ppg,they would contain him to 18 points per game.

• PanchoYoSancho
    edited June 2016
    Lakers Slight Edge
    804 wrote: »

Co sign.

I'm confused as to how a team that won the most games in a season all time coming off a championship, whilst playing in the championship for the second consecutive season, is inappropriately matched against these Lakers. Pull your head out of your ass and open your eyes. If you think this is a wash, then you don't know basketball.

Its about match ups ? . And the Warriors dont have the personnel to match up with those Lakers. At least not enough to win a 7 game series.

And this is a team that won the most games in a season in a watered down league. Aint nobody taking away from what they're accomplishing or already accomplished. The Warriors ARE an all timee great team. But the 80s Lakers went up against some of the greatest teams in the history of basketball and won more rings than any of em. How many all time great teams have the Warriors beat in the last 2 years?
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty wrote: »

@ bolded are you being sarcastic? ? :joy:

Magic is a slower , taller, smarter Westbrook? ...yea so thats a completely different player

The funy part is 'whos gonna stop Kareem'

Again, this is not an all-time battle, we are talking about a specific year, where Kareem was almost 40. Andrew Bogut and Festus Ezeli are MORE THAN ENOUGH to just mitigate Kareem. Too many people het caught up in the whole 'shut down/ destroy ' frame of mind, like its either he scores 10 or he scores 40. The man was 40 years old he averaged 18ppg,they would contain him to 18 points per game.

Magic is a better player than westbrook period. Magic and Kareem provide the achilles heal on offense to GS's defense. A pure point guard that if the lakers got up, would control the game like westbrook couldn't. Yes Kareem was only scoring 18 a game at that point, but an 18 PPG primary post player would destroy GS's defense because there must be a double, You think Ezili and Bogut could handle Kareem? Contain to 18. They couldn't even do ? with Mozgov last year.

A center who could score and pass out of the paint would collapse any defense. But especially a GS team who would have to help, they have to help on lebron and he doesn't even have a legit post game. You mean to tell me somethin about the ? sky hook? Nah B. There are too many ways for that lakers team to beat golden state. If golden state's shots aren't falling the way they want, what do they fall back on?

The only team in the league that can beat GS in a 7 game series right now just happens to be the team that looks the most like the 86-87 lakers, sans Kareem. GS would get they issue.
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GS ? Lakers
    ^^^ Dude is a delusional ? ? , Thunder is nothin like the 87 Lakers, roster wise or playing style wise
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lakers Slight Edge
    'A pure pg is the Warriors Achilles heel"

When did this happen and why hasnt anyone told the clippers.
  • _Lefty
    'A pure pg is the Warriors Achilles heel"

When did this happen and why hasnt anyone told the clippers.

Chris paul dont got close to as many weapons at his disposal as magic, see the whole picture. The warriors had trouble with ? deandre jordan, thats why they always kept him in the game to counteract GS's small lineup.
    blu197 wrote: »
    ^^^ Dude is a delusional ? ? , Thunder is nothin like the 87 Lakers, roster wise or playing style wise

Size, length, multiple long mobile defenders that can switch. And youre right, theyre not like the thunder, they have an intelligent point guard that dont go crazy at the first sign of trouble, that will pick them apart when they double, or score or dump it in the post when they dont. Either to J.W or kareem. Youre right, they dont play hero ball, and theyre better on the break.

Like I said, you prisoner of the moment ? dont understand the warriors would get fried. Too many paths to victory. The easiest would be punishing the lack of size and slowing the game down. If a lesser team in the thunder took them to 7. ? u think an all time great team of similar build would do?
    804 Members Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lakers Slight Edge

Co sign.

Its about match ups ? . And the Warriors dont have the personnel to match up with those Lakers. At least not enough to win a 7 game series.

And this is a team that won the most games in a season in a watered down league. Aint nobody taking away from what they're accomplishing or already accomplished. The Warriors ARE an all timee great team. But the 80s Lakers went up against some of the greatest teams in the history of basketball and won more rings than any of em. How many all time great teams have the Warriors beat in the last 2 years?

I understand matchups and how they work, I'd favor the Lakers, but you're on some old head back in my day ? . The Lakers have never played a team like the Warriors before, and cats like to underate the Warriors defense. ? is a pick em....?
  • Ghost of Jaemooms
    Ghost of Jaemooms Members Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    2017 Cavaliers slight edge
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lakers ? GS
    You guys are leaving out James Worthy. There was a 5 year stretch when he was getting 20 points per game.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    edited June 2016
    Lakers Slight Edge

Co sign.

I understand matchups and how they work, I'd favor the Lakers, but you're on some old head back in my day ? . The Lakers have never played a team like the Warriors before, and cats like to underate the Warriors defense. ? is a pick em....?
    The Lakers never played a team like the Warriors cause teams like them didn't exist back then. And the Warriors would struggle with the 80s physicality from the Lakers. This is the problem comparing teams of today and yesterday. The game evolves and so do the players. The 85 Bears would be giving up 30 points a game today. All you can do is focus on how dominant those teams were in their era and the competition of their era. Not saying the Lakers would murk em, but they had arguably the most talent roster all time (? the Celtics) And I voted the same as you, so ain't no need to argue...

?
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lakers ? GS

Co sign.

The Lakers never played a team like the Warriors cause teams like them didn't exist back then. And the Warriors would struggle with the 80s physicality from the Lakers. This is the problem comparing teams of today and yesterday. The game evolves and so do the players. The 85 Bears would be giving up 30 points a game today. All you can do is focus on how dominant those teams were in their era and the competition of their era. Not saying the Lakers would murk em, but they had arguably the most talent roster all time (? the Celtics) And I voted the same as you, so ain't no need to argue...

?

Exactly and the Lakers weren't even the most physical back then. GS would be pressing assault charges if they played Boston or Detroit.