I just watched Pinocchio for 1st time in about 20yrs and WOW... thats some dark ?

Options

Comments

• dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    them classic Disney movies will have u in your feelings
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? hype Lion King though man. There's a death. So what.

Lion King >>>>>>>> Aladdin, Hercules, Hunchback

Fixed
  • TheGOAT
    TheGOAT Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Aladdin is on Lion King level

Never seen Hercules or Hunchback

Land Before Time > Lion King

Lion King stole the whole story from LBT
  • Paprika
    Paprika Members Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never saw Bambi, Hercules or Lady and The ? .
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hercules was terrible don't compare that to Lion King. Hunchback was never interesting to me as a kid so I never watched it, But I had Pinocchio on repeat when I was a youngster it was my favorite Disney movie.....even better than the Lion King and Aladdin and 101 Dalmatians. Something about it always drew me in. Classic movie, now I'm about to read the original source material to see how dark it originally was
  • Revolver Ocelot
    Revolver Ocelot Members Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I know I ain't the only one that had the VHS of all the songs from the Disney movies.

I watched that ? like 3-4 times a week.
  • TheNightKing
    TheNightKing Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's a podcast called Myths and Legends that goes into the actual stories behind Disney movies and other fairy tales and stories. For instance, the beast in Beauty and the Beast had scales and an elephant trunk. He also couldn't be nice to the girl so he was an ? to her then at the end of every night asked her to marry him anyway. He also stalked her at night and visited her as his real self in her dreams.

He pulls the Pocahontas story from actual letters from John Smith and the oral history of the Native Americans involved.
  • illestni99ainne
    illestni99ainne Members Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cain wrote: »
    Cain wrote: »
    The actual story is very dark

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2014/03/original-story-pinocchio-killed-jiminy-cricket-got-feet-burnt-hanged-assassins/

Pinocchio kills Jimmy with a hammer and he ended up being hanged and feet burned off.

? ...

The one about Sleeping Beauty is pretty ? up too

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2012/10/sleeping-beauty-is-based-on-a-story-where-a-married-king-finds-a-girl-asleep-and-cant-wake-her-so-rapes-her-instead/

Today I found out Sleeping Beauty is based on a story where a married king finds a girl asleep and can’t wake her, so rapes her instead.

The story is called The Sun, the Moon, and Talia, written, or at the least collected and composed, by the Italian poet Giambattista Basile. It was published in 1634 in his “Pentamerone” collection of fairy tales, which also includes the first known version of Cinderella and Rapunzel, and includes a version of ? in Boots.

Basile was more or less the “Brothers Grimm” of his time. In fact, Wilhem Grimm said of Basile’s work,

This collection [Basile’s Pentamerone] was for a long time the best and richest that had been found by any nation. Not only were the traditions at that time more complete in themselves, but the author had a special talent for collecting them, and besides that an intimate knowledge of the dialect. The stories are told with hardly any break, and the tone, at least in the Neapolitan tales, is perfectly caught…

While there are several variants of The Sun, Moon, and Talia told since the first documented instance, the basic story is of a baby girl named Talia, born to a powerful ruler. The wise men of the kingdom prophesy that the girl will meet her death from a flax splinter. Rather than just instruct his daughter never to go near flax or wear any clothes made of it or it would mean her death, as would have been the sensible thing to do, the ruler commands that all flax and ? in his palace be removed and apparently doesn’t mention it to her.

When the girl is older, she observes an old woman outside of her window spinning flax on a spindle, something Talia has never seen before. She then goes down and convinces the woman to allow her to stretch the flax, at which point a splinter from it gets lodged under her fingernail and she seems to die.

Rather than bury Talia, her father has her adorned in her most expensive, beautiful outfit, and leaves her in one of his palaces in the woods, which is then closed up and abandoned.

On a hunting trip, a king stumbles on this estate and attempts to get in to retrieve his falcon that had flown inside. After being unable to get anyone to answer the door, he scales the wall and climbs in through the window his falcon flew in at.

Up to this point, it could have been the Disney version of the story. Here’s where it gets weird. Upon entering the estate, the king wanders around, finding the house empty except for a beautiful young woman who despite his best efforts, he couldn’t wake. So

being on fire with love, he carried her to a couch and, having gathered the fruits of love, left her lying there. Then he returned to his own kingdom and for a long time entirely forgot the affair.”

Talia became pregnant and the babies were born and cared for, as was Talia, by kindly fairies. (Where were they when she needed protected from being ? ? ;-)) The fairies would put the babies up to Talia’s ? to feed, except one time, one of the babies instead sucked on Talia’s finger with the splinter in it and sucked it out, at which point she woke up.

Quite a while later, the king remembered the girl and decided to go back to the house to see her again (classy). This time, though, he found her awake (awkward) and with twin babies she named “Sun” and “Moon”, as their origin was just as mysterious to her as the origin of the Sun and the Moon.

After the king explained to her how she’d gotten pregnant, rather than be upset with him and call the local law enforcement, she instead decided she loved him (he was no doubt, dreamy) and he decided he loved her too. And they lived happily ever after… except, you know, he was already married and his wife had become suspicious of where he’d gone because when he came back, he started saying Talia’s and the children’s names in his sleep.

The queen then forced the king’s secretary to tell her everything or she’d have him killed. After finding out about Talia and the children, she then sent for the kids in the name of the king in order that she might have the cook ? them and feed them to the king. While the king is eating, she keeps telling him, “You are eating what is your own.” To which he replies, “I know very well I am eating what is my own, because you brought nothing with you into this house!”

Next, the queen sent for Talia in the name of the king and confronts Talia saying, “Are you the ? who has been enjoying my husband? Get ready to be welcomed in hell, because you will soon be going there.” She then prepared a fire in the courtyard to burn Talia in, despite Talia vehemently explaining that she had no part in the king having taken advantage of her while she was unconscious.

To stall for time, Talia asked if she can strip naked before being thrown into the fire. While slowly stripping, she continually screamed, at which point the king came bursting in, finds out what happened and has his wife and secretary killed instead, the latter of which apparently was destined to die whether he’d told the queen anything or not.

The king also tried to have the cook killed, but finds out the cook had actually spared his children and had hidden them when the queen asked him to cook them up. Thus, he was spared and given a large reward.

So now, with the queen finally out of the way, the king is free to marry his ? mistress and now they really do live happily ever after, with the last line of the story being (translated):

Lucky people, so ’tis said,
    Are blessed by Fortune whilst in bed.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    white people.....
  • TheGOAT
    Options
    TheGOAT wrote: »

1. Both start at the birth of main characters
    2. Both main character lose their parents shortly after by way of the villian. (The Sharptooth & Scar)
    3. Littlefoot & Simba both blame/pity themselves for the death of their parents. But are given lectures by wise older characters (Rooter = Rafiki) to get themback on track... LBT even mentions the whole "Circle of Life" theme lion king centers on
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUm1WC2GVjY&app=desktop

4. Littlefoot befriends Ducky & Spike = Timone & Pumba. (1 is a loud mouth & the other is a glutton) P-Tree = Zazu (both scaredy-cat flying friends) Cera = Nala (strong female opposites who after arguments seperate from main characters and are later reunited in critical time of film)
    Ducky-and-spike-the-great-valley-adventure-24264686-259-194.jpg
    all_hearts___timon_and_pumbaa_by_lynxgriffin-d5faxtk.jpg
    9ihj.jpg
    54e09525e9741f84b59f57ec4c09c825.jpg

5. Each movie has a scene where the characters see there parents but it only turns out to be theirown reflection... Then later in the movie they actually see their parents in the clouds and speak to them.
    The_Land_Before_Time_Littlefoot_Sees_His_Mother%2527s_Cloud.jpg
    mufasaclouds.jpg

Land Before Time is Lion King without songs and love story.

Lion King did it better tho......

I prefer LBT

They did it without the cheesy sing-a-longs. It was just a straight movie.

Lion King still classic tho. But for sure was bitin
  • MrCrookedLetter
    MrCrookedLetter Members Posts: 22,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

2. Both main character lose their parents shortly after by way of the villian. (The Sharptooth & Scar)
    3. Littlefoot & Simba both blame/pity themselves for the death of their parents. But are given lectures by wise older characters (Rooter = Rafiki) to get themback on track... LBT even mentions the whole "Circle of Life" theme lion king centers on

4. Littlefoot befriends Ducky & Spike = Timone & Pumba. (1 is a loud mouth & the other is a glutton) P-Tree = Zazu (both scaredy-cat flying friends) Cera = Nala (strong female opposites who after arguments seperate from main characters and are later reunited in critical time of film)
    9ihj.jpg

5. Each movie has a scene where the characters see there parents but it only turns out to be theirown reflection... Then later in the movie they actually see their parents in the clouds and speak to them.
    mufasaclouds.jpg

I prefer LBT

LBT ? up by having like 13 damn sequels where all they did was sing for no reason
  • TheGOAT
    Options

9ihj.jpg

mufasaclouds.jpg

I prefer LBT

LBT ? up by having like 13 damn sequels where all they did was sing for no reason

True

They not even made by the same people.

The OG was Steven Speilberg & George Lucas
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Zirconium wrote: »
    bambi-the-real-reason-walt-disney-killed-off-bambi-s-mom-will-break-your-heart-jpeg-134495.jpg

flljs7.jpg

lol @Mastery 's use of this GIF is exemplary
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo about that donkey clip. Amazin' YouTube comment

"A rare instance of a scene that is more frightenin' as an adult."

Real ? man
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hercules was good never saw hunchback. I have a bootleg copy of the princess and the frog but never watched it.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? hype Lion King though man. There's a death. So what.

Aladdin, Hercules, Hunchback >>>>>>>>

C/S. it's greatly overrated.

Aladdin movies and cartoon>>>>all of those.
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CracceR wrote: »
    Most Disney cartoons are based on subject matter that was not originally meant for children. Almost all of them have ? up source material.

they are meant for children, all these old stories like pinochio hansel and gretel etc. are meant to scare children and make them behave good

Parents are ? ? nowadays though

you gotta love how terrifiying parents were with there stories back then. when I was a kid one Christmas eve my dad told me if santa catches you up he will spit tobacco in your eye and throw you in a river then (magically)make a wooden doll out of your dead body. I have never been so terrified of santa in my life lol

I was told Santa would throw dust in my eyes, so me I'm sleeping with my eyes closed extra tight